No Oppo Supporters 2022 Season - Season in review

Remove this Banner Ad

In the most basic of terms, we missed finals so a failure.

However, some of it was out of our control, we missed over half our backing to injury at one point, get them back and lose half our midfield the next and that does play a role, but isn't the reason.

It's there, but still a lot of change needed, fitness and medial staff would be my personal focus.

So if the bulldogs kicked 2 less goals today, the season would be a pass?
Yes, we would have hit our target which we set for ourselves.

Do I think this year was a waste of time, absolutely not. We made clear improvements and we demonstrated an ability to dominate any side when we are on.

With age and experience will come consistency. I believe we are on the right trajectory.

Both. We missed out on finals from where we were, that's a failure. But I never had us locked in at any point, I wasn't riding the wave in the same way others were. I always thought a time like the last month was around the corner while being hopeful it wouldn't happen. I did think we'd fall in but the Adelaide loss was a portent.

I thought we built on the previous year. I think in some weird way, those of us who had less expectations for this year even as we were in top 4, and nod knowingly at missing out on finals in this way have more hope for next year.

I thought the way we'd cough up huge leads was evidence enough of the fragility of the team. Which is OK so long as you keep winning win... but it really fell away at the end.

Voss knows more about the team than he did at the start of the year. And while we probably couldn't really entertain thoughts of 17 as we got to the pointy end, a final would have helped round out the footy education they obviously need.
When you think about it, we ended up being a team that fell just outside the 8 but pushed two top 4 teams to within a point in consecutive weeks. Yeah, they shat themselves, but we're a developing team, not a contender.

Yeah this answer isn’t as straightforward as it seems. In terms of results and how our season was panning out 6 weeks ago - it’s a fail. But there’s more moving arms to that answer that are successes otherwise.

Next season is massive in context of our rebuild and what we did this year I feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enormous fail…our ladder position is a result of an easy draw

Interested in this statement

These were our double up games, Adelaide Crows, Collingwood, Fremantle, GWS Giants, Richmond

We lost to the Crows, should have been a win, but Tigers lost to North, Pies to WC, Lions lost to Hawks and *

How was our draw easy?

Enormous fail…our ladder position is a result of an easy draw
BS, we beat 4 of the top 8 during the season. We lost to two of the top 4 sides by less than a goal. Pies by 4 points and then today. Melbourne by 5. We could have easily and probably should have won all 3 of those. We let ourselves down at times but don’t buy this soft draw nonsense. We were legitimately a 7-10 team this year.

It’s hard to say… Ladder says it's a fail (and rightly so), but it's more complex.

What I will say is that success breeds success. We nailed it at board, operations, and coach level (while Voss hasn’t won a premiership as coach, he knows what it takes to win)…

We need it now at player level. The fact that we have no players on the list (or at least none who’ve gone deep consistently or in a lead ship position) means we lack what it takes to go to the next level, for now. Collingwood won because their mature, finals-hardened side stayed course. Same with Melbourne as the reigning premiers.

At practice, there’s nobody who has tasted success driving standards at a player level.

Cats and swans and collingwood and hawks and tigers keep consistency because their mature players have been there, and the younger players have to meet the standard.

We don’t have that right now. That's not to say it won't happen, but who has the vision on the field?

Capitulation today (and other games) isn't the fault of the coach or football department, IMO. The 22 players on that field today (and last week, and weeks before) couldn't handle pressure from teams who know what it takes to be at the top.

People saying it's hard to tell are looking too deep. We were 8-2 and missed finals. FAil with a capital f and a. Only my generosity prevents the I being a capital too.

We have absolutely improved but that does not make the year a success.

What seems like an easy question to answer is actually quite complex.

Did we finish around the mark of where we were expected to? IMO, yes.

Should we have made finals after being 8 and 2? Probably.

Did injuries cost us games? IMO, yes..especially in games where we lost players early which hurt our structures. I also can't think of a game that we weren't missing at least 1 or 2 of our best 22.

Did we get development into plenty of players and get to try many players in different positions? 100% yes.

We won some games we weren't expected to including Richmond and Sydney, but also gave up some big leads and lost some games we should have won.

Overall, it wasn't a 100% success, but definitely wasn't a complete failure

The word is FIXTURE.

Western Bulldogs played 5 interstate games plus one at what is now almost a neutral venue in Tasmania.

Collingwood NEVER play 6 matches interstate. Their maximum year after year is 5 interstate matches.

Carlton played 6 matches interstate and two back to back -Adelaide & Brisbane.

You come back home and your chances of regaining momentum increase 10 fold.
Why was Carlton playing back to back interstate??!

What you do next year is go over FIXTURE demands forensically.

You play hard ball and refuse to help the AFL in marketing or other activities unless you get the draw YOU want.

It starts with a maximum of 5 interstate matches.

It’s hard to say… Ladder says it's a fail (and rightly so), but it's more complex.

What I will say is that success breeds success. We nailed it at board, operations, and coach level (while Voss hasn’t won a premiership as coach, he knows what it takes to win)…

We need it now at player level. The fact that we have no players on the list (or at least none who’ve gone deep consistently or in a lead ship position) means we lack what it takes to go to the next level, for now. Collingwood won because their mature, finals-hardened side stayed course. Same with Melbourne as the reigning premiers.

At practice, there’s nobody who has tasted success driving standards at a player level.

Cats and swans and collingwood and hawks and tigers keep consistency because their mature players have been there, and the younger players have to meet the standard.

We don’t have that right now. That's not to say it won't happen, but who has the vision on the field?

Capitulation today (and other games) isn't the fault of the coach or football department, IMO. The 22 players on that field today (and last week, and weeks before) couldn't handle pressure from teams who know what it takes to be at the top.
So what do we do?

Taking the next step, going to the next level - Voss said it at his press conference today. The group need to go to the next level physically. Today's presser had some thinly veiled swipes at the state of the player fitness and endurance when discussing how injuries played out this season.

Recruiting for success - we need battle-hardened personnel in player leadership spots. We need to procure a first-round pick to poach bonafide success. When you want to win, you need to surround yourself with those who know how to win. Some may have seen Judd as a "messiah move", but he'd been to the top, and knew what it took. When he was made captain he steered the ship on the field. We didn't have the cattle at the time, I believe to go deep in September then. It's different now -- I believe we have the talent but not the direction on the field on game day. It might mean we need to pull a Judd-move again and make them captain or at least in the leadership group.

Ruthlessness and disrespect; finding the killer instinct - there's no doubt about it, we lack ruthlessness and a killer instinct mindset. When the game is there to be iced against strong opponents, we don't do it. When we get on a roll, we need to kill. It isn't enough to do one quarter of good work and sit back and go back into the shell (we get rattled far too often) or start playing "champagne football" (our forwards disrespect of their own goal set up and clock show this in spades). We need to actively disrespect the opponent on the field in a professional way (respect the accolades off of it, sure) - that means getting mean and unsociable. We're better at it this year, but not at the level of Cats 2007, Hawks in the 2010s and Richmond of the late 2010s. Each of those teams had a filthy, nasty unsociableness about them and were unrelenting in tearing their opponents down piece by piece. We need to get into the headspace of winning - win, win, win. Do we need more in the psychology department? I don't know. But the players need to hurt after tonight and use it to stoke the flame into armageddon. They need to be champing at the bit right now to get at Richmond rd 1 next year.

The talent is there, the coach and board are there. We're a few missing pieces from being competitive though.

They play footy to win. Carlton exists to win premierships. Winning means success in the now and for future generations to ensure our viability it the competition long-term.

Sorry for the long post (incl. mods). Needed to get it off my chest. My soul is burning right now.

The only team to be in the top 8 for the entire season and miss finals, ever.

Essendon too, but they were banned not shit.

Probably where most of us picked us to finish

6th-10th….12 wins and a ballistic start….

Fell over at the last hurdle

Injuries killed our momentum heading into the last 4-6 weeks.

Some growth from Motlop and Durdin (yes I know) CC back and playing well (yes I know)

Cerra, Young and Hewitt overall great additions to the 22….Kennedy back off the scrap heap

Got games into TKD (should have played today)

Plenty to work on…wings, a small forward and a Key back a priority in the off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back