Autopsy 2023 Round 10 – GWS Giants vs St Kilda, Sunday, May 21, 4.40PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam at his post match interview stated that whilst Haynes and Himmelberg won’t play next week, they should be available after that. He also said that Toby has no injuries and is fine, and that at 3-7 we are a long way from playing finals.

What did people think of Briggs' game this week?

22 HO (anyone with a HTA stat?), 16 disposals, 4 marks, 4 clearances & a goal. Competed well against Marshall.
Thought he was terrific

Attended the game and now watching the replay.

At the ground, from a relatively low perspective, the surface damage near the boundary (due to structures I assume from the Easter Show), was clear to see.

Looking at the ground via the replay with the higher position of the cameras, the state of the overall surface of Giants Stadium is an ABSOLUTE DISGRACE.

Turf lifting from the base, exposing sand reminds me of Docklands at its worst.

It's a problem with no easy solution, but the Giants and Easter Show sharing the same ground has to stop.

Somehow.....

Regarding the game, to lose by only 2 goals despite losing 2 of our most important players shouldn't be understated.

Previous posters have mentioned the stand-out players.

The effort was there, but not the polish.

On gameplay - Giants players have to get out of the play on-at-all-costs mentality.

Be tackled. Allow the ball to go over the boundary line.

It was ridiculous how many times there was a centreing kick and there was an immediate 2 against 1 in their favour.

It's like Giants players are myopic and only see their team mate and not the opposition bearing down on them.

To lose so many matches by less than 4 goals suggests the Giants are damn close, frustrating as it is.

Not too upset about this loss, not sure why tbh. We were outplayed pretty comfortably for that second half only generating a few scoring shots but we converted well which helped make up for the big volume difference, they controlled the whole half really and we only got a few chances on the counter, scoreboard probably flattered us on the expected scores we lost by about 5-6 goals.
  • Thought it was Cadmans best game in a couple of weeks, couple shanks on his set shots thought he did a decent job of staying more involved than he has previously, that contested mark he took was really impressive as was the tight angle finish in the pocket, that's the moments and flashes we need to keep seeing from him, not too fussed if he's not going to be one of the most impactful out there but need to keep seeing moments like that.
  • Cogs and Green were great, both put in a really good inning.
  • So happy for Daniels, finally healthy for a good stretch and playing the best of his career by a mile been one of the best smalls in the comp this year
  • Angwin sort of floats through games without much impact, only a handful of games into his career but we're in year 3 he just hasn't shown enough at this point
  • Another good XO game, hit the scoreboard and pressured well, not sure at what point I can stop being surprised by him but once again really useful
  • Briggs got his chance and took it with both hands, hit the scoreboard, thought he rucked well and was good in the air around the ground
  • Finn's first half was better than his second but really happy with how he looked
  • Another quiet Perryman game, only 16 touches, his pressure was fantastic but just not giving us enough offensively at the moment
  • Bedford not giving us the spark that I hoped he would in front of goal, I was pretty sceptical coming into the year but he was really getting pumped up over the off-season but probably hasn't delivered on the hype just yet, could chalk it up to the major hamstring issue which is fine but on the field left wanting more
  • Not sure what the point of still playing Riccardi is at this point, don't just want to say the same stuff with him but he just doesn't offer enough to warrant selection, especially with a couple guys playing good footy in the 2s
I'm off to Europe for 3 and a bit months so that's the last game I'll be watching for a while unless I randomly catch it on somewhere. Cats at home is probably the toughest test in footy, they looked pretty vulnerable against Freo but Geelong a different side at home so another decent loss incoming, should be another good test for them.

I'm off to Europe for 3 and a bit months so that's the last game I'll be watching for a while unless I randomly catch it on somewhere. Cats at home is probably the toughest test in footy, they looked pretty vulnerable against Freo but Geelong a different side at home so another decent loss incoming, should be another good test for them.
I hope you'll still be checking in on BF while you're away.

Not too upset about this loss, not sure why tbh. We were outplayed pretty comfortably for that second half only generating a few scoring shots but we converted well which helped make up for the big volume difference, they controlled the whole half really and we only got a few chances on the counter, scoreboard probably flattered us on the expected scores we lost by about 5-6 goals.
  • Thought it was Cadmans best game in a couple of weeks, couple shanks on his set shots thought he did a decent job of staying more involved than he has previously, that contested mark he took was really impressive as was the tight angle finish in the pocket, that's the moments and flashes we need to keep seeing from him, not too fussed if he's not going to be one of the most impactful out there but need to keep seeing moments like that.
  • Cogs and Green were great, both put in a really good inning.
  • So happy for Daniels, finally healthy for a good stretch and playing the best of his career by a mile been one of the best smalls in the comp this year
  • Angwin sort of floats through games without much impact, only a handful of games into his career but we're in year 3 he just hasn't shown enough at this point
  • Another good XO game, hit the scoreboard and pressured well, not sure at what point I can stop being surprised by him but once again really useful
  • Briggs got his chance and took it with both hands, hit the scoreboard, thought he rucked well and was good in the air around the ground
  • Finn's first half was better than his second but really happy with how he looked
  • Another quiet Perryman game, only 16 touches, his pressure was fantastic but just not giving us enough offensively at the moment
  • Bedford not giving us the spark that I hoped he would in front of goal, I was pretty sceptical coming into the year but he was really getting pumped up over the off-season but probably hasn't delivered on the hype just yet, could chalk it up to the major hamstring issue which is fine but on the field left wanting more
  • Not sure what the point of still playing Riccardi is at this point, don't just want to say the same stuff with him but he just doesn't offer enough to warrant selection, especially with a couple guys playing good footy in the 2s
Agree with most of this. Think your a bit harsh on Angwin, no star but a playing a decent role player.
Perryman playing as a defensive mid fielders, but would like to get a bit more offensively.

Really is a patchwork quilt that backline.

Thought I'd missed Perryman being injured and on the bench because his regular impact was non-existent having to go back

Lachie Ash remains a panic merchant.

Peatling also playing more in defense - he was only there due to our injuries. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

With Haynes and HH out - it's most likely going to be a field day for Geelong.

Predicting Lachie Keefe on Hawkins, Buckley on Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back