Autopsy 2023 Round 19 – GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Sunday, July 23, 1.10 pm AEST, @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win, happy with the contribution of most. Briggs was good against Witts, the midfield unit took the points against a well-credentialled Suns group, the defenders were superb in both stopping the Suns' attack and then rebounding for our benefit. The small forwards did their job. Just the talls are an issue. I hope that Hogan is back next week, but I would dearly love us to give Derksen a run in first grade.

A Giant headache for forwards

Gold Coast's forwards had their work cut out for them on Sunday, with the Giants' defence a near-impenetrable force. Sam Taylor (10 marks) continued his excellent form since returning from a hamstring injury, with fellow tall defenders Harry Himmelberg (11 intercept possessions) and Jack Buckley (10) intercepting everything in sight. The trio kept Gold Coast forward Ben King goalless, and held Levi Casboult to just one goal.

Wasn't there a clip on the club website last year of Mummy saying to Derksen why did you lie to AK about kicking goals when you didn't and saying you just shouldn't do that. If I'm remembering right it might have been the moment when Derksen got his papers stamped because apart from that possibility its a mystery why Derksen isn't getting a look in.

Wasn't there a clip on the club website last year of Mummy saying to Derksen why did you lie to AK about kicking goals when you didn't and saying you just shouldn't do that. If I'm remembering right it might have been the moment when Derksen got his papers stamped because apart from that possibility its a mystery why Derksen isn't getting a look in.
What was the context of this?
Even if derksen doesn't play, we must have better options. Maybe give Flynn a go as a key forward or Gruzewski. Thankfully Brown is a pretty good player now.

Last edited:

5) Forward-thinking has young Giant flourishing​

After starting his AFL career as a defender, Irish import Callum Brown has come alive at the other end of the ground this season. Dropped in round 10, Brown has spent more time forward since round 12, kicking 10 goals from six games and becoming another point of difference in the Giants' forward line. With no Jesse Hogan in the line-up to face Gold Coast on Sunday, Brown's ability to get in position and take a mark came in handy, with the 22-year-old kicking two goals. It's all coming together for the Giants at the moment, with Brown's move indicative of how the Giants are doing more with what they have. – Sophie Welsh

5) Forward-thinking has young Giant flourishing​

After starting his AFL career as a defender, Irish import Callum Brown has come alive at the other end of the ground this season. Dropped in round 10, Brown has spent more time forward since round 12, kicking 10 goals from six games and becoming another point of difference in the Giants' forward line. With no Jesse Hogan in the line-up to face Gold Coast on Sunday, Brown's ability to get in position and take a mark came in handy, with the 22-year-old kicking two goals. It's all coming together for the Giants at the moment, with Brown's move indicative of how the Giants are doing more with what they have. – Sophie Welsh
I need to dig up my post about getting him out of defence and in to the ruck forward role and the impact he might have, just to blow smoke up my own arse. 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably need to win 3, particularly against those also competing for finals. We’re performing at the right stage of the year so we’re in good shape
If we win 3, we will get a home final

I need to dig up my post about getting him out of defence and in to the ruck forward role and the impact he might have, just to blow smoke up my own arse. 😁
definitely mentioned this move on the podcast as well a few weeks back! The bloke has hops in the ruck

Was a great game and glad I got to experience it at Manuka oval.

Though, got to remark that It appears Canberran's not getting any other footy may push up the attendance rates for footy fans at Manuka who the Giants are not their primary team.

First time attending a game at Manuka and there were a significant and observable amount of neutrals or attendees who came out in their primary Non-Giants or Non-GCS clubs clothing. Can't say I've seen so many different clubs represented at a game before (MCG/SCG/Giants Stadium) and it's not an insignificant amount, either.

Pretty sure most if not all the clubs were represented bar one or two that I may not have seen.

We don't get anywhere near these numbers of attendees from other non-playing clubs coming to watch a game at Giants stadium.

Would love to know whether the numbers are quantified anywhere as it would add a decent amount to the total Manuka attendance figures.

I suppose it's great for the team but will be taking with a grain of salt comments in the media or online about the Giants having so much more support in Canberra than in WS and therefore the team should be moved.

It surely helps having people who moved from all across Oz to live and work in CBR who wouldn't have access to any other footy being played locally attend a Giants game to get their live footy fix...

Last edited:
Was a great game.

Though, got to remark that It appears Canberrans not getting any other footy may push up the attendance rates for footy fans at Manuka who the Giants are not their primary team.

First time attending a game at Manuka and there were a significant and observable amount of neutrals or attendees who came out in their primary Non-Giants or Non-GCS clubs clothing. Can't say I've seen so many different clubs represented at a game before (MCG/SCG/Giants Stadium) and it's not an insignificant amount, either.

Pretty sure most if not all the clubs were represented bar one or two that I may not have seen.

We don't get anywhere near these numbers of attendees from other non-playing clubs coming to watch a game at Giants stadium.

Would love to know whether the numbers are quantified anywhere as it would add a decent amount to the total Manuka attendance figures.

I suppose it's great for the team but will be taking with a grain of salt comments in the media or online about the Giants having so much more support in Canberra than in WS and therefore the team should be moved.

It surely helps having people who moved from all across Oz to live and work in CBR who wouldn't have access to any other footy being played locally attend a Giants game to get their live footy fix...
It’s an interesting one. Many decades ago when I was living in Canberra and Norf were doing their FIFO thing, bringing either Port or Freo to town (never a decent opponent) we nevertheless went along because it was AFL & we wouldn’t have gotten to see any otherwise. Number of Norf supporters at the ground - a handful. Number of neutrals - 90%.

in the early days at Giants stadium a 10k crowd would typically have been 3k giants, 5k opposition & 2k neutral. As time went on though, while the overall number didn’t change much, the percentages did & the neutrals dropped off - novelty wore off, they got their fill, they got to see their team when they came etc etc.

also, when we were no longer an easy kill and definite 4 points, there was less of a travelling contingent of oppo supporters making the trek to see their team win (If you only get 1 interstate trip, why travel all that way to western sydney to watch your team lose when you could more easily have a relaxing weekend on the Gold Coast & watch a win?)

so our crowds haven’t grown in numbers, but they have grown in orange.

haven’t really looked or analysed the crowds post Covid, still see the occasional neutral but way less than the early days and it really depends on what oppo teams have strong local supporter bases, because I don’t think there’s as much travel as before.

I admit, I took much more interest in this stuff a few years ago - now I just go along to watch and let others comment on crowds.

Was a great game and glad I got to experience it at Manuka oval.

Though, got to remark that It appears Canberran's not getting any other footy may push up the attendance rates for footy fans at Manuka who the Giants are not their primary team.

Yes, my kids play “AFL club bingo”, where we see how many merchandise from other clubs we can see at the Manuka matches. Almost always, all 18 clubs are represented, although sometimes Gold Coast fails to make an appearance- something that obviously didn’t occur yesterday

It’s an interesting one. Many decades ago when I was living in Canberra and Norf were doing their FIFO thing, bringing either Port or Freo to town (never a decent opponent) we nevertheless went along because it was AFL & we wouldn’t have gotten to see any otherwise. Number of Norf supporters at the ground - a handful. Number of neutrals - 90%.

in the early days at Giants stadium a 10k crowd would typically have been 3k giants, 5k opposition & 2k neutral. As time went on though, while the overall number didn’t change much, the percentages did & the neutrals dropped off - novelty wore off, they got their fill, they got to see their team when they came etc etc.

also, when we were no longer an easy kill and definite 4 points, there was less of a travelling contingent of oppo supporters making the trek to see their team win (If you only get 1 interstate trip, why travel all that way to western sydney to watch your team lose when you could more easily have a relaxing weekend on the Gold Coast & watch a win?)

so our crowds haven’t grown in numbers, but they have grown in orange.

haven’t really looked or analysed the crowds post Covid, still see the occasional neutral but way less than the early days and it really depends on what oppo teams have strong local supporter bases, because I don’t think there’s as much travel as before.

I admit, I took much more interest in this stuff a few years ago - now I just go along to watch and let others comment on crowds.
Absolutely. Have been watching Giants at Manuka since our very first game against Melbourne, and the proportion of Giants supporters has significantly grown. Sure, some of the big clubs have a lot of fans, but Giants supporters now outnumber all others combined. Yesterday they had kids playing AFL in ACT do a parade around the ground at lunchtime, and for most of these kids Giants is/ will be their club of choice

Absolutely. Have been watching Giants at Manuka since our very first game against Melbourne, and the proportion of Giants supporters has significantly grown. Sure, some of the big clubs have a lot of fans, but Giants supporters now outnumber all others combined. Yesterday they had kids playing AFL in ACT do a parade around the ground at lunchtime, and for most of these kids Giants is/ will be their club of choice
Yep and I remember in those first few years Manuka was only getting between 2-4k at games so its certainly come a long way.

About 50% of the kids walking around had Giants gear (hat, scarf, T-shirt underneath) along with their club gear. GWS was always a generational project - we have to convert the multitude of junior footy players into regular footy watchers ... and GWS fans at that.

At both grounds, you often see the parents in traditional club colours, and their kid(s) in GWS gear.

About 50% of the kids walking around had Giants gear (hat, scarf, T-shirt underneath) along with their club gear. GWS was always a generational project - we have to convert the multitude of junior footy players into regular footy watchers ... and GWS fans at that.

At both grounds, you often see the parents in traditional club colours, and their kid(s) in GWS gear.
Pretty sure I've mentioned it on here before, but my eldest is playing U10s this year. No way she'd be doing that if not for the Giants (though she's possibly the only Giants supporter on the team, so no club is perfect).

GWS

Stocks up: Lachie Whitfield played his role at half back to absolute perfection against the Suns. His 25 possessions (20 by foot), 498 metres gained, nine marks, three inside 50s, four rebound 50s, and six score involvements an example of how the Giants set up their attacks from the back half, and why opposition teams should be doing more to quell his influence.

Stocks down: Without Jesse Hogan leading the charges up forward there was a hole that needed to be filled, and Adam Kingsley was able to make do with the likes of Jake Riccardi taking five marks and kicking two goals, Callum Brown kicking two, and captain Toby Greene slotting three from seven scoring shots, but was this an opportunity for young Aaron Cadman to really prove himself? We're excited about his future, trust us, but four kicks, three clangers, and one behind isn't the stat line we want to see...

The Key Takeaway: Six in a row

It’s remarkable to think that a team who started the season 3-7 after the opening 10 rounds has won six matches on the trot and are currently sitting in seventh with no sign of slowing down.

The Giants’ biggest test comes now with a trip to Ballarat to play the Western Bulldogs. The Dogs have a good record at the windiest ground in the AFL. A win on Saturday and you can lock in the Giants to play finals.

The Positive: The return of Brent Daniels

The hero of the 2019 semi-final at the Gabba against the Brisbane Lions returned for the Giants.

After a five-week stint on the sidelines with a hamstring injury, Daniels got through the match against Gold Coast unscathed and was among the best for GWS.

Daniels racked up 20 touches, four tackles, two clearances, seven score involvements and two goals from 79 per cent time on ground. An excellent return for a much loved clubman.

Charles Goodsir

GWS GIANTS

The Giants ended their Canberra hoodoo, taking down the Suns by 40 points to get their first win at Manuka Oval since 2019. It marked Adam Kingsley’s side’s sixth win in a row to climb into seventh place on the ladder as it makes its push towards what once seemed like an unlikely finals campaign under the first-year coach. The big tests are still to come though against fellow finals contenders the Western Bulldogs, Sydney, Port Adelaide, Essendon and Carlton on the run home where we’ll learn plenty about GWS.

In the votes

Toby Greene was on fire, but only converted 3.4 in front of goal in what could’ve been a huge bag. Sam Taylor was a human wall the Suns couldn’t get past, racking up 15 disposals and 10 marks with nine intercepts, while Harry Himmelberg (26 disposals, 12 marks, 10 intercepts,) and Lachie Whitfield (25 possessions, nine marks) were also prolific.

Room for improvement

With Jesse Hogan out of the side, the Giants lacked a real forward presence other than Greene. Callum Brown and Brent Daniels helped pick up the slack in attack with two goals apiece, but GWS lacked a true aerial threat. It clearly mattered little though given the Giants still kicked 15 goals for a total score of 103.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back