2024 International Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that's a head scratcher.

Here is the SBS Charter.

The SBS Charter, provided in the SBS Act, sets out the principal function of SBS and a number of duties it has to fulfil.

Updated Updated 17/08/2020

The Charter, contained in Section 6 of the Special Broadcasting Service Act 1991, states:

(1) The principal function of the SBS is to provide multilingual and multicultural broadcasting and digital media services that inform, educate and entertain all Australians and, in doing so, reflect Australia's multicultural society.

(2) The SBS, in performing its principal function, must:
(a) contribute to meeting the communications needs of Australia's multicultural society, including ethnic, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities; and
(b) increase awareness of the contribution of a diversity of cultures to the continuing development of Australian society; and

(c) promote understanding and acceptance of the cultural, linguistic and ethnic diversity of the Australian people; and

(d) contribute to the retention and continuing development of language and other cultural skills; and

(e) as far as practicable, inform, educate and entertain Australians in their preferred languages; and

(f) make use of Australia's diverse creative resources; and
(g) contribute to the overall diversity of Australian broadcasting and digital media services, particularly taking into account the contribution of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and the community broadcasting sector; and
(h) contribute to extending the range of Australian broadcasting and digital media services, and reflect the changing nature of Australian society, by presenting many points of view and using innovative forms of expression.

The AFL International Cup brings men and women for diverse countries, cultures and languages and mixes them in an international environment
The AFL International Cup promotes the SBS Charter a lot better than most of the SBS's products.

There's a few updates in a group chat attached to the World Footy group on Facebook.

Ireland, US, Canada, GB - Confirmed attendance of both men's and women's teams in the chat, but they were already pretty certain.

Nauru - Confirmed they'll be sending both men's and women's teams. This will be a debut for the women.

Central Europe - A member from Hungary mentioned they were looking at joining forces to create a combined men's Hungary-Austria-Czech Republic team (if they're allowed). Would be a cool experience for the players, and more specific than a Crusaders side.

Pakistan - Confirmed the intended attendance of both a men's and women's team. I was pretty certain on a men's side, but it's great to hear the women will be coming back, too.

Croatia - No confirmation yet, but somebody said the were "keen to come". If the men's still isn't 100% confirmed yet, I would say the women's is still unlikely.

Fiji - Confirmed attendance of both men's and women's teams.

France - Men's confirmed, no plans for a women's debut, but they're keen if a Crusaders side comes.

Hong Kong - Somebody mentioned Hong Kong wanting to send a women's team, though she said they mightn't have enough players with the eligibility requirements. She seemed keen, but they'd need to get some waivers sorted out. Not sure on their exact situation, but it would be a bit unfair if it turned out to just be a team of Australian expats.

I was uncertain about Pakistan and Fiji in the women's, so I think that makes 10 likely teams. I have the same teams as 2017, plus the debut of NZ and Nauru, so that shows good consistency that none look to have dropped out over Covid. Still think a few others could be a chance. Eight was previously the biggest field, so all things going well, this should be the biggest women's field.

Has there been any announcement from the AFL that the tournament is actually going ahead in 2024 or are they too busy polishing their knobs in Adelaide?

Has there been any announcement from the AFL that the tournament is actually going ahead in 2024 or are they too busy polishing their knobs in Adelaide?

More the latter. Somebody said they expected a decision by July.

So many teams have signalled their intent to go. They're getting their squads ready, they're getting sponsors. I expect the IC to happen in 2024, but if for some reason it doesn't go ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if another tournament pops up elsewhere.

If I were in charge of things, my goal would be to try and get 12 women's teams. It's a great number -- three groups of four, and then three four-team brackets for placing and finals. Five games, just like regular. That may not be entirely possible, but it's a goal.

Talking about combo teams and Asia... I honestly would have no problem with there being combined regional sides. We've seen it with the Crusaders and the Peres Team for Peace. And, if it means more international footy experience for European teams that don't have the wherewithal to put together full sides, I'm all for it. I worry about lopsided results, but after seven years of there being no IC, we're back to wanting to get things on track with having this event be for the experience rather than a full on competitive event.

And I do hope that the AFL move forward with 2024 for the resumption of this thing. A vacuum is being created by all of these postponements.

If I were in charge of things, my goal would be to try and get 12 women's teams. It's a great number -- three groups of four, and then three four-team brackets for placing and finals. Five games, just like regular. That may not be entirely possible, but it's a goal.

Talking about combo teams and Asia... I honestly would have no problem with there being combined regional sides. We've seen it with the Crusaders and the Peres Team for Peace. And, if it means more international footy experience for European teams that don't have the wherewithal to put together full sides, I'm all for it. I worry about lopsided results, but after seven years of there being no IC, we're back to wanting to get things on track with having this event be for the experience rather than a full on competitive event.

And I do hope that the AFL move forward with 2024 for the resumption of this thing. A vacuum is being created by all of these postponements.

12 teams would be perfect.

If we had four pools of three, you could have the top two from each pool playing off in the top division bracket of eight, then the bottom teams playing off in a bottom division of four so that they can end the tournament with some wins (or at least some closer losses).

I have Canada, European Crusaders (with players from France, Croatia, Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark), Fiji, Great Britain, Ireland, Nauru, New Zealand, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, and the United States as near certainties. That's 10.

Still trying to get answers on Germany and India. They've both got decent women's participation, so I think either could happen. South Africa is an unknown, they've also got senior women's competitions, but their competitions contracted quite a bit through the pandemic. Vanuatu is looking good (but I don't want to get ahead of myself there). There are local women playing in a few Southeast Asian nations, so a joint team there is a possibility. 12 teams is definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

12 teams would be perfect.

If we had four pools of three, you could have the top two from each pool playing off in the top division bracket of eight, then the bottom teams playing off in a bottom division of four so that they can end the tournament with some wins (or at least some closer losses).

I have Canada, European Crusaders (with players from France, Croatia, Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark), Fiji, Great Britain, Ireland, Nauru, New Zealand, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, and the United States as near certainties. That's 10.

Still trying to get answers on Germany and India. They've both got decent women's participation, so I think either could happen. South Africa is an unknown, they've also got senior women's competitions, but their competitions contracted quite a bit through the pandemic. Vanuatu is looking good (but I don't want to get ahead of myself there). There are local women playing in a few Southeast Asian nations, so a joint team there is a possibility. 12 teams is definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

Update: Somebody from the Odisha Swans confirmed that India will be sending a women's team, so that's 11 near certainties.

Only need one of those other maybes to debut to make it a round 12.

Well I knew something was cooking, we now have confirmation of what to expect in 2024.

Trans-Atlantic Cup in August (North America venue)
Asia Cup and Pacific Cup in November (Asia and Australia venues)

Where to now for the pinnacle of our sport's global competition is up for debate.

Last edited:

wow ... what a joke ...
gobsmacked
AFL needs a good slap over the face with a wet towel

Are these supposed to be qualifiers for a future IC or has the tournament been scrapped altogether?

Last edited:
Well, that's incredibly disappointing.

I also find it cheeky that they're calling them the "first AFL-sanctioned international championships since 2017". These events were going ahead regardless, but the AFL is just piggy-backing off them. If they're now AFL-sanctioned, does that mean the AFL will contribute to them? And does that mean the AFL Europe Championships weren't AFL-sanctioned?

I'd like it if these were regular events held in conjunction with the IC, but not at the expense of the IC.

The Asia Cup might be limiting on the women's side, too. Pakistan is the only previous participant. India might be a shot at a women's side. I asked the Japanese team and they didn't look like they'd be ready for IC24, so the women's might just be a two-team series.

Also, where does South Africa fall in with this?

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.
Well, after some sleep, I can confirm that I'm angry, at least.

What pisses me off about this is that for the last four years, they've been stringing everyone along. "We'll have it in 2021." "We'll have it in 2023." "We'll have it in 2024." "We're not going to have it."

And as you mentioned, CP, there's been all sorts of tournaments in Asia and Europe, and we have the upcoming Parallel Cup in Wisconsin in a couple of weeks. Other than direct contributions from the AFL, does that mean they don't recognize the tournaments as happening?

Like, if they're not going to be committed to growing the game internationally, they should at least drop the charade. Don't get everyone's hopes up and all and then bust out this weak sauce.

Well, after some sleep, I can confirm that I'm angry, at least.

What pisses me off about this is that for the last four years, they've been stringing everyone along. "We'll have it in 2021." "We'll have it in 2023." "We'll have it in 2024." "We're not going to have it."

And as you mentioned, CP, there's been all sorts of tournaments in Asia and Europe, and we have the upcoming Parallel Cup in Wisconsin in a couple of weeks. Other than direct contributions from the AFL, does that mean they don't recognize the tournaments as happening?

Like, if they're not going to be committed to growing the game internationally, they should at least drop the charade. Don't get everyone's hopes up and all and then bust out this weak sauce.

I think I'd be angrier if I were surprised. But when I read it, I said, 'yeah, that sounds about right'.

It's the same as them languishing with the AFLW schedule. I just wish they'd have a plan and make it public so we have something to work towards. Even if it's IC27, just bloody tell us, make it official and then we can actually have something to aim for.

It screws around the players who, as well as training and striving for the International Cup, also have to plan their leave and save money for travel. It also screws over all of the volunteers and administrative planning. Many teams already have sponsors on board with the assumption those teams will be playing at the International Cup. And many teams probably had players training and preparing in Australia that won't be able to afford to get to North America.

Alright, I've worked myself up from disappointed to angry as well.

It's moments like these I wish we had an independent world governing body.

It's moments like these I wish we had an independent world governing body.

I've been trying to push that idea for decades with the only reaction veing "why do we need a world body".
I also predicted a very long time ago that other competitions would overtake the I.C. but at as a natural evolution.
We already have international events in North America, Europe and in Australia for the Pacific nations.

The big question that everybody seems to have overlooked is "where is the money".
Are the AFL just raising the banner or are they substantially contributing to these events ?
If the AFL are substantially contributing to these events is this the best use of money at this stage ?
In any case (in any event) wouldn't a super bowl of winners be a great promotion ?
The idea of regional qualifiers was first mooted ages ago though not thought practicable for a long while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been trying to push that idea for decades with the only reaction veing "why do we need a world body".
I also predicted a very long time ago that other competitions would overtake the I.C. but at as a natural evolution.
We already have international events in North America, Europe and in Australia for the Pacific nations.

The big question that everybody seems to have overlooked is "where is the money".
Are the AFL just raising the banner or are they substantially contributing to these events ?
If the AFL are substantially contributing to these events is this the best use of money at this stage ?
In any case (in any event) wouldn't a super bowl of winners be a great promotion ?
The idea of regional qualifiers was first mooted ages ago though not thought practicable for a long while.
It scares me that I agree with just about all of this. XD

I don't think having a world body separate from the AFL is a bad idea. My worry is that there might be those who will want to take it towards the road of profiteering rather than actually growing and sustaining something grass roots.

It scares me that I agree with just about all of this. XD

I don't think having a world body separate from the AFL is a bad idea. My worry is that there might be those who will want to take it towards the road of profiteering rather than actually growing and sustaining something grass roots.

I don't know the not-for-profit/for-profit nuances very well, but could it just be stipulated that it is a not-for-profit entity, which would bar that road being taken?

I think the balance would have to be the separation from the AFL. More autonomy gives legitimacy, but the more autonomous, I assume the less the AFL would be willing to fund positions and events.

I'd even be okay with a fully AFL-sanctioned and owned world governing body, but right now it's just so ambiguous. I think it all falls under the AFL Commission and it just remains vague. The AFL uses the term International a lot, I'd be fine if AFL International (AFLI so it doesn't sound so stupid) became the official world governing body.

I also really just want some official world rankings. Worldfooty's have come in handy and have done the job, but they're just not official.

I don't think having a world body separate from the AFL is a bad idea.

IMO it's a good idea. It doesn't have to big or expensive.
Just a few stakeholders that would discuss laws, qualifications and divisions
and lobby the AFL for exposure and support.
I also have stated long ago that the AFL should go to a proportion of the pie model w.r.t. funding as well as add hoc builds.

My worry is that there might be those who will want to take it towards the road of profiteering rather than actually growing and sustaining something grass roots.

The world of Australian Football is already held back to a substantial degree by "empire-building and politics".
The world of Australian Football is already held back to a overwhelming degree by organisations waiting on the AFL
and even worse fearful of doing something to upset the non-existant potential flow of AFL help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back