Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We move on. Maybe the boys will be so stung we'll go on another run. Need to change some things though.

Yeah I'm already chilled out. Must be my old 21st century Carlton supporting coping mechanism kicking in.

What we lack is polish. We had around 40 more possessions for the game but everything we generate is such a hard slog and we concede far easier goals than we can ourselves.

There’s a few things we need to fine tune. Once again the inside 50 entries are horrid.
  • Half forwards need lead up and drag the defender out with them and leave space for the talls to lead into. That cohesion and/or IQ is really poor.
  • Our small forward fleet need to work on craft of getting to the drop of the ball as well as applying more pressure to lock it in. They seem to do neither and it’s irritating. Never hitting a pack on the run, always flat footed. Glaring weakness on our list.
  • When we do the bail out kick out of defence we at the very least need to bring the ball to ground. More often than not we allow an uncontested mark. Curnow/McKay/TDK get held and another defender takes an easy mark. No help down the line and no smalls at ground level.
  • Speaking of Curnow, he needs to play in front. I’m sick of seeing him always trailing his man. If he takes front spot he either marks, draws a free, or brings it to ground. How hard can this be it’s a football basic and either he’s not being instructed correctly or he’s not listening.
  • Conversion is an issue again. McKay and Fantasia bad misses when we had the momentum in the 3rd.
  • Young looks timid out there due to low confidence. Doesn’t know when to go the ball or drop off and far too often waits too long before committing one way or the other.
  • Williams is a liability in defence. He has skills we can use in this team but I think he can no longer play in the back 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood just too good and well drilled and coached when it matters. Our tackle count tells the story: our effort just wasn't good enough. How many times do we run forward only to stuff it up with an idiotic handball? McKay, kicking it straight to Collingwood when he had multiple options.

If tonight doesn't consign Fantasia to a stint in the VFL, I dunno what will. It's like playing with one man less.

Two weeks in a row we 'should' have won but have been unable to go with the best teams in the comp. Unfortunately it seems we're not as good as we thought we were.

Bummer that sucks big elephant d$cks.
Can’t look past that they are bit better drilled no Saad McGovern Motlop.
All have composure it’s a long season the pressure is on but the games into Cowan and some of our not 22 should pay off later

Unfortunately a lot of the same things that happened last week.

Pressure inconsistent and terrible disposal.

Well done Jacob Weitering and that’s about it from me

Strange loss. Only by 6 points. They had 23 more I50s, 86 to 54 tackles... they seemed more composed... but only 6 points... it says we're not far away, even though it feels like it...
I'd love for you to be right revenant but they should have won by a 3 or 4 goals tonight. A lot of what we do wrong has been common in our game for multiple years now.

Only 39 inside 50s, -32 tackles, 9-21 tackles inside 50.

My kingdom for some quick mids/wingers and a genuine exciting, fleet of foot, hard working, roving small forward. All of our small forwards together make up 1 gun small forward, but take up 3 positions.

Honestly you would struggle to find less total production from the three small forwards if you dropped two of them

We played dumb and lazy football. Made them look a whole lot better than they are - it's why I won't give them credit.

We lost that game. They didn't win it.

Back