Player Watch #21: Matthew Jefferson

Remove this Banner Ad

Just calling out your ridiculous hyperbole again mate.

Spot the difference:

'I worry about Trac playing forward cos he's a pretty awful kick for goal and has to improve'.

Vs.

'Trac is without doubt the worst kick for goal in the league and we concede more points from his misses than we actually score from'.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Trac had something like 78 scores this season including goal assists. Playing what? 30% forward? The guy is our most dangerous forward when there. If he can kick straight he'd be untouchable as a player.

Trac had something like 78 scores this season including goal assists. Playing what? 30% forward? The guy is our most dangerous forward when there. If he can kick straight he'd be untouchable as a player.
but he can't kick straight...in fact we showed that over a 7 year period that he's been horrible. A forward isn't dangerous if they can't kick straight. If they're getting high volume like Buddy then yeah but guys like Max King as good as they are are almost unplayable sometimes because they can't kick straight. Petracca has shown that he has no right to belong anywhere in the f50m.

but he can't kick straight...in fact we showed that over a 7 year period that he's been horrible. A forward isn't dangerous if they can't kick straight. If they're getting high volume like Buddy then yeah but guys like Max King as good as they are are almost unplayable sometimes because they can't kick straight. Petracca has shown that he has no right to belong anywhere in the f50m.
Fritta and Koz are genuinely dangerous forwards. Smart, agile and tough to match up on. Both are generally beautiful kicks as well. Trac is a nightmare match up as well because of his strength at stoppages and his marking power for a mid. He sets up a hell of a lot of goals as well. He'd only need to clean up his kicking efficiency by a smallish margin and we/he kick a lot more goals. Max King is a gun. Horrible kick(like Trac) but he's a genuine nightmare matchup and can have those games where he blows the game apart. Good luck to the comp if either of these blokes improve their kicking. Just because they are inaccurate doesn't make them not dangerous. Trac knows how to find the footy too whether it's in the F50 or not. I just think with Oliver and Viney in the middle, Trac shouldn't be required in there as much and we can use him closer to goal more often. Would love to see Koz used more in the middle. Riv too if he builds his tank.

Again your stupid hyperbole ruins another discussion. He kicked a couple of crucial goals in a GF, and has kicked big goals for us alot. He very clearly can be a weapon forward at times.

Who is Jefferson likened to as a player? Usually the draftees get pigeonholed to a current AFL player. He looks more mobile than JVR who with a couple more preseasons should be able to use his strength as a weapon. Jefferson looks like he can take a grab, but is he mobile?

danster168 Whether you're a troll or not mate, you make this forum painful to visit.
Read the actual thread. I'm always talking football. From about 3pm yesterday, a few guys just went out of their way to derail the thread and reference me. I consistently just talk about football.

People like throwing away trendy words like hyperbole and troll and don't even know what it means. All I said was that petracca is probably the worst shot in the afl. And we crunched the stats that supported this. And Crustydemon was actually talking about it and providing some sort of analysis instead of just throwing grenades at every post.

We draft an 18 year old Jefferson and several guys have already called him a bust and yet you call me the troll? But yeah sure.

Read the actual thread. I'm always talking football. From about 3pm yesterday, a few guys just went out of their way to derail the thread and reference me. I consistently just talk about football.

People like throwing away trendy words like hyperbole and troll and don't even know what it means. All I said was that petracca is probably the worst shot in the afl. And we crunched the stats that supported this. And Crustydemon was actually talking about it and providing some sort of analysis instead of just throwing grenades at every post.

We draft an 18 year old Jefferson and several guys have already called him a bust and yet you call me the troll? But yeah sure.

So much wrong with this. Dunno where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who is Jefferson likened to as a player? Usually the draftees get pigeonholed to a current AFL player. He looks more mobile than JVR who with a couple more preseasons should be able to use his strength as a weapon. Jefferson looks like he can take a grab, but is he mobile?
Finally, back to Jefferson. Hopefully we can stay here. Jefferson gets likened to Harrison Jones. But I see a bit of Josh Kennedy in him. I'm not saying he'll be that good, but he is mobile and has great hands.

Fritta and Koz are genuinely dangerous forwards. Smart, agile and tough to match up on. Both are generally beautiful kicks as well. Trac is a nightmare match up as well because of his strength at stoppages and his marking power for a mid. He sets up a hell of a lot of goals as well. He'd only need to clean up his kicking efficiency by a smallish margin and we/he kick a lot more goals. Max King is a gun. Horrible kick(like Trac) but he's a genuine nightmare matchup and can have those games where he blows the game apart. Good luck to the comp if either of these blokes improve their kicking. Just because they are inaccurate doesn't make them not dangerous. Trac knows how to find the footy too whether it's in the F50 or not. I just think with Oliver and Viney in the middle, Trac shouldn't be required in there as much and we can use him closer to goal more often. Would love to see Koz used more in the middle. Riv too if he builds his tank.
Yeah spot on about Fritta and Koz. I definitely trust Kozzie snapping more than a set shot but I'd be devastated if we lost kozzie to SA. Yeah Trac has every trait in the book. And his overhead marking is elite. I agree that with Oliver and Viney that Trac isn't required as much in the middle. And because we're not very good at centre clearance I think a change is needed regardless. So maybe changing the personnel and see what happens. Maybe Petracca at half forward rolling into the middle.

It's good to hear Koz is rumoured to be in line for more midfield time. But I'll believe it when I see it because Goodwin barely played him there last season despite many reasons to do it. A big season coming up for Rivers too. He had a bit of a down year but I like him as a player. It's not popular but I like Brayshaw in the middle too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jefferson reminds me of Tony Lockett tbh.

His training photos. The kid is a stick through the arms and the legs. Watts/Cook like frame. Not criticising him as a person or a player in the slightest, I really hope he comes good, but I'd be shocked if he made the Casey team this year. Even next year could be a challenge if Casey carry on being contenders. They'll have Schache and one of Brown or TMac down there most of the year, and Schache in particular is a gun at VFL level. Ben Brown could lose a second knee and he'd still get a start if it was between these two.

His training photos. The kid is a stick through the arms and the legs. Watts/Cook like frame. Not criticising him as a person or a player in the slightest, I really hope he comes good, but I'd be shocked if he made the Casey team this year. Even next year could be a challenge if Casey carry on being contenders. They'll have Schache and one of Brown or TMac down there most of the year, and Schache in particular is a gun at VFL level. Ben Brown could lose a second knee and he'd still get a start if it was between these two.

Yeah, like he has to learn to lift weights for a few months before he can even start getting stronger.

I'm naturally skinny like Jefe is. When I first started at the gym ages ago I couldn't even feel the pump during lifts to then try & go harder, my arms would just stop lifting at some point without even feeling like they'd been worked out. Took about three months to build that mind-body connection and had to do it for every muscle group.

Long run he'll be fine cause he's already throwing himself at contests like someone's pegging a Godfrey's balloon at a group of people.

Get him a dedicated trainer, get some size on the lad and away we go.

And this is why I wasn't overly thrilled with the selection. This kid looks years away from impacting at senior level. Looks really thin. Will get punished in the VFL too with the way he puts himself into a marking contest, so wouldn't surprise me if he spends a chunk of time injured also just through bash and crash footy. Fritta somehow gets away with being a skinny campaigner though, so maybe there is hope. JVR will be the gorilla type and Jefe the more mobile forward maybe?

Can't imagine Fritsch ever being much bigger as an 18y/o.
I think the first few years (maybe his whole career) he'll need to be a 3rd tall, roaming type that beats opponents with agility/mobility. Gonna be a long time before he crashes any packs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back