Past Lachie Henderson

Remove this Banner Ad

absolutely. people have short memories

Actually it's the opposite. It suits them to look at his end to decide the value while we look at his whole career.

Very disappointed in Hendo. It seems we have a lot of players who want to leave the club. This has to be bad for morale.

On the bright side, the new coaching staff we have looks very promising and hopefully will turn that around.

Hard to see what Geelong could offer us to be worthy of the trade. Pick #9 obviously going to be used for Dangerfield, leaving pick #28 as the next option which is definitely not good enough. They also don't want to give up a pick in next season's draft because their list is aging. These guys want to have their cake and eat it too. Caddy, Selwood, Dangerfield in the middle with Hendo and Tomahawk to kick to.

Last edited:

Very disappointed in Hendo. It seems we have a lot of players who want to leave the club. This has to be bad for morale.

On the bright side, the new coaching staff we have looks very promising and hopefully will turn that around.

Hard to see what Geelong could offer us to be worthy of the trade. Pick #9 obviously going to be used for Dangerfield, leaving pick #28 as the next option which is definitely not good enough. They also don't want to give up a pick in next season's draft because their list is aging. These guys want to have their cake and eat it too. Caddy, Selwood, Dangerfield in the middle with Hendo and Tomahawk to kick to.
Yarran and Henderson are the only ones that have effectively just wanted out for no good reason. Bell and Betts were for family reasons. Waite chasing one last contract and a guaranteed 2 years. Garlett and Robinson never asked to leave, but effectively signed their own papers.
So there's only 2 that have simply just wanted to leave. In the same timeframe we've had Docherty, Everitt, Jaksch, Jones, Thomas, Tutt, Whiley, Wood and it looks like Carlisle and a few others potentially wanting to come across. It's hardly all doom and gloom.

He mentally checked out once he knew he was leaving. He spoke to you guys during the season. It's not a case of not being good enough and you guys wouldn't have approached him early if form was a concern.
Wells said this morning that they'd "try to remember what he was like at his best". He's shown over the journey to be a fair negotiator for the club (and before anyone mentions it, no we aren't a soft touch, we just don't go into Dodoro mode :D).

Still think 9 is too high and moot anyway as I cannot envisage a scenario where it doesn't end up at Adelaide. I said on here a couple of weeks ago I'm apprehensive as to how it will come to fruition, guess we'll all just have to be patient and wait for the dust to settle on Dangerfield. I love trade period though it has to be said :D

Might not be bad for morale at all, some players would be quite happy that the big sook is leaving (probably was a pain in the butt all year saying how much he didn't like it there) and that they will have some new & very enthusiastic/committed team-mates joining them for next season.

Wells said this morning that they'd "try to remember what he was like at his best". He's shown over the journey to be a fair negotiator for the club (and before anyone mentions it, no we aren't a soft touch, we just don't go into Dodoro mode :D).

Still think 9 is too high and moot anyway as I cannot envisage a scenario where it doesn't end up at Adelaide. I said on here a couple of weeks ago I'm apprehensive as to how it will come to fruition, guess we'll all just have to be patient and wait for the dust to settle on Dangerfield. I love trade period though it has to be said :D

Agree that 9 feels too high for Hendo.

If he'd had a career best year by his standards, it'd probably be about right, but his value has certainly been diminished a but with his 2015 antics.

Are there any other potential trades for Geelong that may net you guys a pick in the teens?

If he'd had a career best year by his standards, it'd probably be about right, but his value has certainly been diminished a but with his 2015 antics.

Are there any other potential trades for Geelong that may net you guys a pick in the teens?
Not likely. Already 8 list spots to fill and still at least 1 to be delisted. Doubt we'll trade out any players as we cannot afford to now. it has been mentioned this morning that crows may not match and then we swap picks so could end up with a teens pick that way. Guess we'll find out soon.

Not likely. Already 8 list spots to fill and still at least 1 to be delisted. Doubt we'll trade out any players as we cannot afford to now. it has been mentioned this morning that crows may not match and then we swap picks so could end up with a teens pick that way. Guess we'll find out soon.

Can't really see how you can just swap those picks - they'd have to send something else your way to make it look even remotely genuine.

Can't really see how you can just swap those picks - they'd have to send something else your way to make it look even remotely genuine.
Yes of course but it may just be a swap of later picks

No, they know they won't get that. In terms of points value that's more than #1

If you were Geelong would you give up pick 1 for Dangerfield?

I would.

These points values are all well and good for F/S and Academy discussions, but they mean sweet f***-all when it comes to actual player trades. Trading a stack of third round picks mathematically equals a first rounder, but the only time a club will even contemplate it is if they really need the points for a highly rated academy pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you were Geelong would you give up pick 1 for Dangerfield?

I would.

These points values are all well and good for F/S and Academy discussions, but they mean sweet f***-all when it comes to actual player trades. Trading a stack of third round picks mathematically equals a first rounder, but the only time a club will even contemplate it is if they really need the points for a highly rated academy pick.

That's 2 first rounders for two years.... No to both picks personally

Ask yourself would the crows accept #4 for Paddy Danger?

#9 & 27, (Cat's 1st & 2nd) equate to slightly better than #4 on the Draft Value Index.

That's 2 first rounders for two years.... No to both picks personally

Ask yourself would the crows accept #4 for Paddy Danger?

#9 & 27, (Cat's 1st & 2nd) equate to slightly better than #4 on the Draft Value Index.

But #9 and #27 isn't equal to # 4 in all, or even most, cases. Pick 4 gets a Francis or Parish, while picks 9 and 27 gets Ah Chee or Tucker and a speculative player in the second round.

Unless a club needs points for highly rated academy or F/S players, the points mean nothing.

By your logic, we should trade pick 1 for picks 12, 24, 36 and 38 because those four picks are worth more points.

But #9 and #27 isn't equal to # 4 in all, or even most, cases. Pick 4 gets a Francis or Parish, while picks 9 and 27 gets Ah Chee or Tucker and a speculative player in the second round.

Unless a club needs points for highly rated academy or F/S players, the points mean nothing.

By your logic, we should trade pick 1 for picks 12, 24, 36 and 38 because those four picks are worth more points.

not at all, these are simply the chips available to Geelong

not at all, these are simply the chips available to Geelong

Drawing the comparison in value between them isn't accurate though. Neither Geelong nor Adelaide are chasing high-value F/S players, so to say that 9 + 27 is the same as 4 doesn't ring true. If Danger is worth 4 then Adelaide want as close to 4 as possible - throwing in a pick they don't want or need doesn't make 9 any higher.

Now if we speculated that Geelong could trade 9 and 27 to GWS for 7 and a player, then trade 7 on to Adelaide, we may be getting closer to the mark.

Good to hear Wells saying they'll "be remembering what Lachie was like when he was at his very best". Tried to find some highlights and found this 2011 vid, some good vision of his work as a rebounding CHB from about 4 minutes onwards. He was probably worth more than #9 back then.

If we agree that Henderson was 'gone' to Geelong from mid-year and we also agree the Pick #9 is too much then, Dangerfield or no Dangerfield, how was this deal supposed to have got done ???

If we agree that Henderson was 'gone' to Geelong from mid-year and we also agree the Pick #9 is too much then, Dangerfield or no Dangerfield, how was this deal supposed to have got done ???

Geelong weren't expecting to finish as low as they did. Could easily have been pick 12-14 if they'd beaten St Kilda and Collingwood late in the season.

I think the best result for us would be involving Brisbane.

Lachie Henderson > GEEL
Tom Bell + Jarrad Jansen > BRIS
Pick 21 + Pick 28 > CARL

Nicely thrown in the "try and" part, he didn't say try and.... but spin the way you want

Geelong weren't expecting to finish as low as they did. Could easily have been pick 12-14 if they'd beaten St Kilda and Collingwood late in the season.

Probably - but it all sounds a bit tenuous don't you think.

"Lachie - we'll swap you in for our first round - tell Carlton your off !!"

" Hang on Sorry mate - we finished lower than we thought - deals off - Sorry, but who'd of thought we'd lose to St.Kilda and Collingwood ?? Geez - hope Carlton are ok with pick 27 :$:$:$ "

agreed... in fact if you reverse Adelaide and Geelong's finishing position the trade period looks a lot more straight forward.

In this alternate universe Adelaide accept #10 as FA compo, as it's better than Geelong's 1st (which would be #15 after FA)

Geelong trade #15 for Hendo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back