Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Was pretty obvious at the time Powell was being treated differently. When he played he played well but had the lowest game time, first one dropped and needed more weeks in the seconds with good form than he should have.
That’s what I’d like to know more about. It was obvious to everyone what was going on we knew Noble was incompetent but was it personal with Tom and if so why? Heath would know where all the bodies are buried.

Last edited:

Tom's a bit of an enigma.

The traits are there for all to see. He panics a bit at times (improving), and isn't overly quick (not particularly relevant), but otherwise is an accumulating midfielder, with a beautiful handball, great vision, good footwork, and a lethal kick.

Yet, 46 games into his career, I don't recall ever watching a game and thinking that Powell was in our bests. His 6 win, 1 draw, and 39 loss record doesn't help things (not his fault of course), but it has rarely felt like he was a meaningful component in us playing good and winning footy. This past weekend he sets a few meaningful career highs, and it still felt like he didn't have any tangible influence on the game.

The player from his debut year looked like he'd be an absolute star, and I'm sure some would recall Leigh Montagna calling him a future Brownlow medalist. If there's one thing I'm hoping to see over the next month, it's for that feeling surrounding Tom Powell to be restored. There's a ton of talent with Powell, but we're yet to see it translated into a great performance.

Being free of injury, approaching 50 games, backed by the coaching staff to play his best position, and turning 22, the time should be now for Tom Powell. I'd love for him to start showing us what he is capable of, as with his natural talent, he has only scratched the surface of his potential.

BOG right on cue.

Was a great game from Powell yesterday, but it still left you feeling like he was a capable of more. I mean that in the best way possible.

BOG right on cue.

Was a great game from Powell yesterday, but it still left you feeling like he was a capable of more. I mean that in the best way possible.
Just on the previous comment you're referring to from yourself, a game that Tommy played against Collingwood in 2021 sticks out in my memory like dog's balls. Aaron Hall had 56 million touches and was decent, but Powell and Cunners were the only two blokes we had who time and time again made something happen with their disposal. He was easily in my top 3 that game. Suspect there were a couple of other games that year where something similar happened.

Obviously this must've been before Noble decided that he was a demonic entity who needed to be exorcised from the best 22

After seeing it pulled off, Stevo tried to do the same thing a couple of times too.
Fmd
Those 2 utensil ups from Stevo, and the 3 set shot misses in the 2nd QTR (Larks/Jai/Dursma) cost up the game. We would have been 50 up, and Freo heads would have dropped. I’m sure the coaches will get in his ear to execute better if he is picked.

Those 2 utensil ups from Stevo, and the 3 set shot misses in the 2nd QTR (Larks/Jai/Dursma) cost up the game. We would have been 50 up, and Freo heads would have dropped. I’m sure the coaches will get in his ear to execute better if he is picked.

I'm not so sure, I think we still would have lost even if we were 50 up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly obvious that Noble had NFI.

Probably be carded if he was a poster on here lol
Interesting comment from our former GM of Media, would love to know more.View attachment 1937252

What more would you desire to know, that reading between the lines wouldn't solve.
al clarko has had to pick the group up, spend a fortune on Dettol and then brush them off. And then start to rebuild their confidence.

Hence why I find the comments around al clarko strange, as in is he still the master coach. I of course have never said he is, but what he is the master at, is managing young men.

Just you all wait and see.

Just needed that confidence in him to have a run of games in the midfield at the top level.
He's been given that under Clarko.

He'll be the next cog in our midfield.

With ball in hand it looks like he is moving like Ldu in traffic, not the same acceleration obviously, but from the minimal we’ve seen - perhaps he is as accurate with his disposals. He has definitely always had that aspect of slowing the game down with that old handball compilation.

He and LDU look like they’ve got similar builds and it is a one two combination I never really thought we’d see, its beautiful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back