Delisted #25: Ariel Steinberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody hell that has to be one of the worst first quarters of a debutant of all time.
What did he do terrible? Unable to watch the game due to technical problems. Noticed the bad DE%

Disposal was reasonable after the first quarter. Contested well all day though, despite being undersized. Definitely deserves a second game next week.

He made errors in the first just like everyone else. Improved heaps from there and by Derm's evaluation, he played smart and efficiently. I'm pleased with him

Disposal was reasonable after the first quarter. Contested well all day though, despite being undersized. Definitely deserves a second game next week.
I would disagree. His disposal was beyond putrid in the first quarter and was below average for the rest of the game. So improved but still made a lot of errors by hand and foot.

HOWEVER.. I thought his contested play was exceptional and his general defensive positioning was sound. So it could be a 'hooker' like situation.. the skills are there but just needs to tighten up the disposal.

Enough to warrant selection next week I would have thought.

Started off with the typical first-gamer nerves but got into the groove of things as the game went on. Done well for a first gamer

Needs to work heaps on his kicking, has absolutely no confidence hitting a short target, but defensively very sound. Did brilliantly in support, regarding blocking/leaving his man.

was most noticeable when we were under siege early, but settled well.

He's by no means a bad kick, but the adjustment from the VFL where there's basically always an easy out to AFL where the pace is quicker and the zones are better was always going to be an enormous step up.

A lot to work with IMO

I would disagree. His disposal was beyond putrid in the first quarter and was below average for the rest of the game. So improved but still made a lot of errors by hand and foot.

HOWEVER.. I thought his contested play was exceptional and his general defensive positioning was sound. So it could be a 'hooker' like situation.. the skills are there but just needs to tighten up the disposal.

Enough to warrant selection next week I would have thought.
At this stage someone should be circling for handball every time he gets it....can live with that though if the defensive nous we saw today holds true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always seemed to get a punch in, but was shitting bricks whenever he got the ball. Worth another game to see if he can start ironing that out of his game.

was dreadful in the first quarter, worked his way back in eventually - but stood out for the wrong reasons.

no rush for the 2nd game

Wow some people are really harsh. Won defensive contests all day. Yeah he made some terrible mistakes in his first quarter ever of AFL football. Played pretty good for the next 3 quarters and deserves another game.

I kind of like a player that messes up but then gets on with their job for the rest of the game, doesn't drop their head but instead knows to get back to basics and winning contests.

Also people need to get real as well, look at our talls stocks as well. No Fletcher for the rest of the year. You need a third tallish defender. Carlisle is needed up forward. We may even need Hurley up forward. Pears is injured. We have absolutely no choice but to give him some games. Imagine playing Sydney in the finals - with their 4 talls.

He won defensive contests? I'm gonna have to watch the replay which, given that I had made the decision to leave the game only to change my mind 5 minutes later after we kicked three in the 3rd quarter, was not something I had planned to do.

if Colyer can turn it around I'm sure that [player] can.
This is one of the biggest positives of this year.

Possibly the worst kick on our list has now become quite reliable, similar to Jobe all those years ago.

There's hope for everybody else, always.

More than a pass - Had total command of his opponent - And he was giving 12cm and at least 10kg - Interesting to see how he goes against a more mobile opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back