Delisted #25: Ariel Steinberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't fit into the side and will struggle to get a game without injuries to defenders.

Might be worth a go keeping around as KPD depth but I seriously doubt he has the size or athleticism to make it as an AFL player.

To be perfectly honest, he could be a perfect replacement for Fletcher. He (Steinberg) has played on a variety of players at VFL level and done extremely well on them to suggest he can play

He's essentially Nick Maxwell, but instead of just waving his arms around telling everyone else to take a man, he actually takes one himself, and beats him the vast majority of the time

To be perfectly honest, he could be a perfect replacement for Fletcher. He (Steinberg) has played on a variety of players at VFL level and done extremely well on them to suggest he can play

Giving away 10+cm playing on ruckmen with an almost complete inability to play on any other type of opponent? Hooker is marshaling the defence and has already taken over from Fletcher and is doing it playing on the opposition's 2nd best forward.

Need a much more versatile 3rd tall defender to replace Fletcher when the time comes.

Think that ultimately we'd look to rotate Carlisle and Hurley through that sort of role depending on the match ups.

Im not advocating Steinberg has a future at AFL level, by no stretch of the imagination.

All I was saying was that Ariel could be a decent enough replacement for Fletcher, as a defensive marshal who can rally the troops.

I get that he might not be the most agile of guys but he is so astute at reading the play, being third man up. Essentially, all the attributes that Fletcher possess'.

Absolutely love him, seen him play a lot, rate him very highly. I don't see why he's not getting a game, killed it today against Collingwood in the vfl and just has that x factor. Hope he plays soon and becomes a regular, don't want to see the system reject him

He has been our best VFL player over the first 4 weeks.

I can honestly see him being given another year on our list. Pears is playing up forward, Gregory is still a while away, DVU, I have no idea. Not much KPD depth there at all. I'm more then happy to retain him for another year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been our best VFL player over the first 4 weeks.

I can honestly see him being given another year on our list. Pears is playing up forward, Gregory is still a while away, DVU, I have no idea. Not much KPD depth there at all. I'm more then happy to retain him for another year.

I'd agree with this.

For me to say that ahead of Kurt Aylett who has been our best small by a fair way is a real tick for him (Steinberg).

If he didn't have the Steinberg stigma attached to him he'd be rated much higher on here.

Unfashionable, but bloody effective. Straightens the whole side up from full back, and now has added the precision ball use that he probably, i remember watching him in his first year in a game at north port oval (playing forward) and his kicking was absolutely bush league, sub Colyer even.

In the past month it's been low, flat and accurate passes all the time, add in the intercept marking and you've got a pretty handy footballer.

Has to be the longest serving rookie to date in the AFL? I bet he gets one AFL game and then they'll waive him off the list.

Has to be the longest serving rookie to date in the AFL? I bet he gets one AFL game and then they'll waive him off the list.
This is his first or second year on the rookie list. Dell'Olio has been there longer.

On a AFL list? Not even close. Only one that comes to me right now is Daniel Currie. Currie is in his 7th year of being on an AFL list and only made his debut this year. Mitch Hallahan from Hawthorn was recruited a few picks after Steinberg, he only made his debut last Monday. Ben Newton who was recruited 3 picks after Ariel is yet to play a game for Port.

This is his first or second year on the rookie list. Dell'Olio has been there longer.
I think by rookie he means hasn't played a game

Ariel Steinberg is by far the best name in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back