Retired 25. Jared Rivers (2013- 2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But to have a key position player up and going by 2015 they need to be playing senior footy in 2013.
With Lonergan and Taylor playing key back for us next season, it is unlikely that any future key back would have been a regular fixture anyway. Bathie is still developing and Hamling is still a couple of season's away but came with big wraps. I know the point you're trying to make but don't under estimate the value of playing in our VFL side and gaining experience playing the Geelong way.

I just home home from work to the double celebration.

We'll win the flag next year if McIntosh stays fit.

Mark my words.:thumbsu:

If McIntosh and Varcoe stay on the park you will be right there. Varcoe is the key I think, he is a dead set superstar and was just starting to show he was in the absolute top bracket before he got cut down.

A fit and dominating Varcoe with emerging guys like Caddy and Vardy (Menzel?? if he comes back), your established stars and the top ups like Rivers etc and it will be one scary attacking unit. Will be a fun team to watch next year.

Good get for you guys and unlike some FAs who are just mercs he's genuinely having a last ditch crack at success with you guys. During our darkest days (of which there were many) he was one of the few who always gave it their all.

Today is Rivers' 28th birthday too! Not a bad present for him.

People forget he was a b & f runner up in 2011 and I think he'll be a nice replacement for Scarlett as a third tall defender behind Taylor and Lonergan. He also went forward and kicked a few goal this year for the first time in his career. Good get.

I heard that our first draft pick is now pick 73 in the draft. Can anyone clarify this?

No we still have 15, which will be 16 if the Saints get pick 13 as compo for Goddard. We'll more than likely get a pick in the 30's/40's for Mitch Brown, if he gets traded as expected. Pick 73 will be used to upgrade Stringer form the rookie list I imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's s**t wouldn't get a ga........ I can't finish that.

:(

Congrats you've picked up a gun defender and capable pinch hit forward, have nothing but respect for the bloke.

He gave us one hundred percent for the last 10 years (when he was one hundred percent fit) and I can't fault him for leaving to have a crack at a flag because chances are that at 28 he wouldn't be apart of our next flag tilt.

Give'em hell Riv!

:thumbsu:

I don't know why we are trading in players in their late 20s when I do not believe we can win a flag in the next two seasons with our weakish midfield.
I'm with you. I'm really disappointed in this, as I think it'll stymie the development of our younger players (read: Mitch Brown, should he stay).

I'm with you. I'm really disappointed in this, as I think it'll stymie the development of our younger players (read: Mitch Brown, should he stay).

If Mitch is good enough and can stay on the park it shouldnt stifle him at all.

I'm not sure why we are talking about 'weakish midfields'
Many teams would kill for a midfield choice like ours! Caddy is a useful future invesment in that area .
People get too excited about midfields anyway. In current footy 'under 12 style' rolling mauls have negated the skilled players to a degree- No change on the horizon next year.
I think we have done well with our snags, and will be there or thereabouts next year

Now we just have to "un-Melbourne" Rivers. Need some sort of a cleansing ritual set up.
Leave that up to Max Rooke a few weeks with him and we will unveil Rivers version 2.0

Max Rivers

:p

Good get for you guys and unlike some FAs who are just mercs he's genuinely having a last ditch crack at success with you guys. During our darkest days (of which there were many) he was one of the few who always gave it their all.

you reckon he is a better player than Josh Gibson?

I'll admit I hadn't seen a lot of Rivers until talk began of our interest. However, after watching some Melb games on foxtel and viewing his highlights package, I would go so far as to draw parallels with one H Taylor.

I rate Taylor higher however I can't help but see a lot of similarities. The way he uses his body in positioning, his confidence and preference in marking an opposition kick as opposed to just spoiling, his ability to pinch hit forward (only evidenced this year).

I think this will go down as one of the better (if not the best after Goddard) FA pick ups this year.

Oh God yes.

While Gibson can defend well he's a liability when it comes to disposing of the ball whereas Riv can not only spoil but can actually mark and dispose of the football very well.

that's what I thought and the amount of hype that boy gains every game, can't believe they nearly made him AA but yeh, Rivers is a much better contested mark and would have thought and overall better player having seen a bit of Jarrad.

Rivers will be a fantastic 3rd tall/roaming defender for the 3 or so years he will be with us.
Its a great pickup for us thats for sure.
Heres hoping he and HMac can stay injury free while with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back