Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Cale is so vital to our team. Yet, I suspect, still under-appreciated by some. The sort of guy who, on the rare occasion he has a bad game, the knives will be sharpened for quickly by some.

Luckily, the coaching box is not among that some.
I reckon his intercept marking last year set up 50% of our forward thrusts

Probably been his biggest knocker.
Sorry Cale.
I was wrong.
You've never particularly stood out to me in that regard, BP. At least not on here. Not that we need to name names or anything.

But he is moving steadily higher up in the rungs of our most important players.

You've never particularly stood out to me in that regard, BP. At least not on here. Not that we need to name names or anything.

But he is moving steadily higher up in the rungs of our most important players.

Okay, I am probably not a known knocker of his, but in the past I have definitely been one to say Hurley and Carlisle down back and JD, Ryder/Bellch up forward, just totally excluding him. The intercept marking and his ability to read the play is fantastic and he appears more confident in his kicking now, comes with experience. Got the sense he'd take risky kicks but never fully commit to them and stuff them up. Definitely has the skills. Has his pace picked up a bit again? Looks less ungainly.

Cale is so vital to our team. Yet, I suspect, still under-appreciated by some. The sort of guy who, on the rare occasion he has a bad game, the knives will be sharpened for quickly by some.

Luckily, the coaching box is not among that some.

Its also great how his kicking improves significantly every year.

I was always a fan of his marking and 1-1 defending.. but his disposal could hurt us at times.. and I am really big that you can't carry any weak disposers of the ball in modern footy..

To his credit, Hooker has just gone from strength to strength with his skills and almost eliminated that 'howler' turnover.. which is really pleasing. Has made him a great FB and vital to our defence.

Also there is no doubt in my mind that Fletchers mentoring to our young backmen is the reason why we have so many good ones.. whether it be positioning, skills or just reading the play.. they all appear to have developed quicker because Dustin is back there.. and don't they all love him?!! Was great to see last week how the guys respond to him.. clearly a loved player.. (of course)!!

if fletch isnt playing next year (if) he must be a shoe in for defensive line coach?

If he wants the job.. wouldn't hesitate.. one of the quickest footy minds out there.. but not sure if he'd want to jump st8 into it... and I doubt he will retire in the next 5 years anyway..

Exactly right...started to notice this last year and it's now a pronounced strength. Almost never fumbles, even in traffic, and usually then releases really well by hand...when did this happen???

Extraordinarily improved footballer.

He's always been good beneath his knees. Think he's reaction time and decision making has improved.

Okay, I am probably not a known knocker of his, but in the past I have definitely been one to say Hurley and Carlisle down back and JD, Ryder/Bellch up forward, just totally excluding him. The intercept marking and his ability to read the play is fantastic and he appears more confident in his kicking now, comes with experience. Got the sense he'd take risky kicks but never fully commit to them and stuff them up. Definitely has the skills. Has his pace picked up a bit again? Looks less ungainly.

Think there have been big improvements in the last two years now that the hamstring woes are a thing of the past.

Still doesn't seem to be as quick as he was and he probably won't get back there. I remember a game at Etihad against Hawthorn in 2008 or 2009 when he was beating Franklin on the lead (but still conceded 5 because Buddy was being a freakshow at ground level) and I reckon that same year he belted Nick Riewoldt.

Hooker's game against North was superb. Really nothing else I can think that we'd want him to do. Dominated Petrie and North's CHF line. Easily top 3 on ground.

Think there have been big improvements in the last two years now that the hamstring woes are a thing of the past.

Still doesn't seem to be as quick as he was and he probably won't get back there. I remember a game at Etihad against Hawthorn in 2008 or 2009 when he was beating Franklin on the lead (but still conceded 5 because Buddy was being a freakshow at ground level) and I reckon that same year he belted Nick Riewoldt.

Hooker's game against North was superb. Really nothing else I can think that we'd want him to do. Dominated Petrie and North's CHF line. Easily top 3 on ground.
no brownlow votes but a chance for 3 votes in the golden fist

I think Carlisle taking the best forward last season was absolutely crucial to his development. Improved his one-on-one defending and had less responsibility allowing him to perfect his zoning off. His confidence has also visibly grown. Now I'd feel comfortable having him take on the best defender, as he did against North and probably will against Hawthorn. At the end of 2012 I was convinced he was a spud but now he's one of the better backmen out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Carlisle taking the best forward last season was absolutely crucial to his development. Improved his one-on-one defending and had less responsibility allowing him to perfect his zoning off. His confidence has also visibly grown. Now I'd feel comfortable having him take on the best defender, as he did against North and probably will against Hawthorn. At the end of 2012 I was convinced he was a spud but now he's one of the better backmen out there.

I posted similar last year. As it stands he is best suited to the number two forward, though there will be 4 or 5 occasions a year when he will take the number one forward.

Most underrated player on our list (more so by opposition fans - as most Essendon fans have woken up to what a good player he has become now). Rarely plays a bad game, often gets a lot more of the ball and takes more marks than the forwards he plays on. I'm having trouble even recalling the last time he had a bag kicked on him, Its become quite the infrequent occurrence nowadays.

It just shows sometimes you have to be patient, not every quality player will just burst out of the box, Hooker had to play quite a few games and gradually develop his body before he was able to play quality consistent footy and that's something we should keep in mind with some of the youngsters we have now. They won't all be stars from day dot ala Heppell, some of them will take time.

Hooker cemented his spot in the first half of last year. He slipped under the radar a little bit because of Carlisle. I have always had respect for him, but like Rines have cringed when he kicks the ball. I have often thought about using him as a trade because we could get very good value for him and packaged with a first round pick is worth a gun KPF.

However, if he improves his intercept marking from last year and can maintain his high level for a whole season, he hasn't done that yet, then we'll end up with the best in the game at that. With Hurley, Dempsey and Hibberd down there we he can dish off too!

Regarding his running it has been a frustration of mine that he lost his pace. When he first started getting games back in 09 he was very quick for his size. I just think that he struggled to carry the weight put on for AFL and it was effecting his back, hips and groins causing that ungainly running style. Lets hope he gets a 400m coach!!

Hooker cemented his spot in the first half of last year. He slipped under the radar a little bit because of Carlisle. I have always had respect for him, but like Rines have cringed when he kicks the ball. I have often thought about using him as a trade because we could get very good value for him and packaged with a first round pick is worth a gun KPF.

However, if he improves his intercept marking from last year and can maintain his high level for a whole season, he hasn't done that yet, then we'll end up with the best in the game at that. With Hurley, Dempsey and Hibberd down there we he can dish off too!

Regarding his running it has been a frustration of mine that he lost his pace. When he first started getting games back in 09 he was very quick for his size. I just think that he struggled to carry the weight put on for AFL and it was effecting his back, hips and groins causing that ungainly running style. Lets hope he gets a 400m coach!!

Hawkins spent two years learning a new running style.. I wonder if it is something the club would consider.. cause it is flat out weird..

The only reason why you do raise his name as a trade is because I would think that both Hurley and Carlisle are better than him.. thus meaning that IF we would able to package him to get a KPF (as you said) then you get the best of all worlds.. but we'll see how the new set up goes.

I personally believe Hooker is our best 1-1 defender (tall) at the moment.. and let's hope he keeps going all season.

For at least 3 years I said let's just wait til he hits 25 and he will be a very good KPD. His 2013 made me feel quite justified in that albeit 1 season too soon. Said the same for Tayte, hopefully his 2015 will provide equal justification.
Our KPP stocks when Hurley and Carlisle get to that mark will be the best in the league by some margin imo.

For at least 3 years I said let's just wait til he hits 25 and he will be a very good KPD. His 2013 made me feel quite justified in that albeit 1 season too soon. Said the same for Tayte, hopefully his 2015 will provide equal justification.
Our KPP stocks when Hurley and Carlisle get to that mark will be the best in the league by some margin imo.
Its amazing what a few years in the system can do huh...
Tayte has had a lot of injury problems so ill allow him a bit more time to find his 2010 form (he was rated higher than hooker a few years back)

Hawkins spent two years learning a new running style.. I wonder if it is something the club would consider.. cause it is flat out weird..

The only reason why you do raise his name as a trade is because I would think that both Hurley and Carlisle are better than him.. thus meaning that IF we would able to package him to get a KPF (as you said) then you get the best of all worlds.. but we'll see how the new set up goes.

I personally believe Hooker is our best 1-1 defender (tall) at the moment.. and let's hope he keeps going all season.

I don't think that his track record as a one on one defender has been that flash. He is big enough to compete but often gets burnt on the lead and isn't strong enough to compete if he's carrying a niggle, the end of 2012 is evidence of that. However, he is a magnificent reader of the play and has good hands so he will beat an opponent by cutting them off to intercept or he can help out team mates by peeling off his opponent to mark.

If he improves his one on one then we have a real beauty on our hands. Combined with Hurley and Pears that would be enough down back, especially with Ryder and Carlisle able to go back to cover in a pinch. This means Carlisle could focus on being a forward and any trading plus first round picks could be aimed at attacking mids, young ruckmen and future KPPs. I also think that we have a good replacement for Watson down the track with Myers but we need to start developing another few big bodied mids, i.e. a kid from the up coming draft who will look to be a regular in 4 years time and a major player in 6 years time. Probably one more year of quick mids and goal sneaks for mine but once the draft penalties are over we need to get into those long term investment players.

Hooker's disposal improved almost instantly under Thompson/Hird, to me it was noticable straight away, and it is something he has improved each year under these guys.

In Hird's first year he started out almost as a handball only guy, would only kick when he absolutely had to. This I think did wonders for his confidence as he all of a sudden wasn't the guy who butchered the ball. Since then he has developed into someone that is a very good kick up to a distance of around 30m and rarely does he go for more.

He plays well within his limits disposal wise and as a result he has become a far better footballer. His job now (when not defending) is to release the elite users of the ball, not try and make that precision play. Dare I say it, similarities with Matthew Scarlett in that regard.

I don't think that his track record as a one on one defender has been that flash. He is big enough to compete but often gets burnt on the lead and isn't strong enough to compete if he's carrying a niggle, the end of 2012 is evidence of that. However, he is a magnificent reader of the play and has good hands so he will beat an opponent by cutting them off to intercept or he can help out team mates by peeling off his opponent to mark.

If he improves his one on one then we have a real beauty on our hands. Combined with Hurley and Pears that would be enough down back, especially with Ryder and Carlisle able to go back to cover in a pinch. This means Carlisle could focus on being a forward and any trading plus first round picks could be aimed at attacking mids, young ruckmen and future KPPs. I also think that we have a good replacement for Watson down the track with Myers but we need to start developing another few big bodied mids, i.e. a kid from the up coming draft who will look to be a regular in 4 years time and a major player in 6 years time. Probably one more year of quick mids and goal sneaks for mine but once the draft penalties are over we need to get into those long term investment players.

My assessment of his 1-1 ability was that he consistently 'out-reads' the ball in flight and therefore outmarks or spoils the incoming pass. He is also stong on the deck and very rarely does he lose his feet and allow the forward to break away from the contest 'clean'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back