#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone mentioned that there's a bit of Jarred Waite about him. And i definitely see the similarities..

But personally the way he was clunking some of those pack marks was Josh Kennedy like..

He didn't do anything crazy, impacted the aerial contest when he could and stayed involved on the ground. Its a little embarrassing for Hogan how easily weid made those basics look. Weid didn't spend a second allowing himself to be wrestled, he jumped at the ball. Simple stuff.

Agree, but it’s easy to do when you don’t get attention and double teamed

Someone mentioned that there's a bit of Jarred Waite about him. And i definitely see the similarities..

But personally the way he was clunking some of those pack marks was Josh Kennedy like..

I don't see Josh Kennedy at all, Waite yeah, maybe some Longmuir.

The marking side yeah, but he tackled like the Adelaide game which Hogan has never done.
Weid had three tackles, Hogan averages two. Neither really set the world alight. I see your point about him jumping at the ball, and I agree that Hogan's ground level pressure is subpar, but I genuinely think you see what you want to see when you watch them play. You'd be pretty upset if Hogan had played the game you're lauding from Weid. As TPM says, opposition defenders put no time into Weideman because why would they.

Hardly a breakout game but there were some very good signs. Looks like a nice kick but one thing I have noticed in all his AFL games is that he misses alot of set shots.

Weid had three tackles, Hogan averages two. Neither really set the world alight. I see your point about him jumping at the ball, and I agree that Hogan's ground level pressure is subpar, but I genuinely think you see what you want to see when you watch them play. You'd be pretty upset if Hogan had played the game you're lauding from Weid. As TPM says, opposition defenders put no time into Weideman because why would they.

Tackles numbers mean crap mate, there's a half an arm around someone standing next to you and there's stopping someone dead from leaving the area. Weids tackles stuck.

Also far from Lauding weid, he didn't do a hell of alot but he worked unselfishly for the team. Id take that game over Hogan (or anyone) kicking 4 over the back goals under no pressure.

The way weid played wasn't that good but it will help us win more games than Hogans style, it was a Jack Riewoldt style game without the skill

The one thing weid does really well, he runs and jumps to take the ball at its highest point. When he gets the confidence in his own game and can do this more often it will be hard for defenders to stop.

Hogan does have a bit of a laconic aura which can influence people’s perception; he definitely could improve his ability to crash packs and bring the ball to ground though. Wattsy averaged 3 tackles and 1 tackle inside 50 for us; not many people would’ve been happy with his pressure for us. Unfortunately I have to agree with topkent in that when Weideman tackles someone his tackles stick, whereas with Hoges I can’t recall the last time he caught someone holding the ball. His tackles can be a bit half hearted sometimes.

Jesse’s struggles inside fifty could also be attributed to the fact that he’s lost weight to play the CHF role which a fair few posters on bigfooty wanted him to play. I’m a bit annoyed that he basically did everything this board asked of him, ie improve his endurance leading and kicking and yet he’s still getting hate because he did lose the weight that the coaches wanted him to.

Hopefully Weed stays in the side for the rest of the season regardless. Good game yesterday. Looked confident in the air, probably for the first time since his debut game. His kicking for goal needs work though; it’s dreadful

Look Tulip,

Everyone knows I’m probably one of Hogan’s biggest supporters / Fan Boys on this Howard and even I can see Wieds tackles have more intent - some might even call them bone jarring / bone inducing

I think many here see a big difference on pressure and tackles subjectively speaking, although as you say the stats only indicate he is 1.5 x more productive on that front

All that said and as excited as I am, Hogan has a much bigger body of work so it’s truly a subjective discussion at this point in my opinion

P.S. thank you for the like yesterday

Enjoyed his first half yesterday. He faded a bit in the second half with lack of AFL fitness, but to be fair it was warm and a very intense game so that's ok.

His jumping at the ball is a real weapon.

Something that annoys me is that people keep saying he's a "nearly" player as a criticism. What more do you expect? He's a 21yo KPF with 16 games. Give him some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he played a good game yesterday. I like the way he flies for the ball, it can make key defenders very nervous and can suck them into the contest. even when he didn't clunk it, he still got hands on it and brought it to ground and our smaller guys benefitted from that. I don't have a problem with his kicking yet, he has a good technique and he's usually a reliable set shot in the VFL. I think the more he plays and the more set shots he has at AFL level his nerves will settle and he'll hopefully kick a bag or two for us.

Weid and TMc can play deep while Jesse can play that Richo style wing/CHF role. Handy in the centre too for a spell.

I came here to say exactly this, Hogan with his ability to cover the ground could be used as a target coming out of defensive 50.

Weid and Tmac much deeper to kick the goals, could always switch Tmac and Hogan around to give them a rest up forward.

That would be the only way to play the 3 of them.

Miller and Pavlich? **** there are some weird ass comparisons. Nothing like either of those. Miller never took an overhead mark and Pavlich was a midfielder playing KPP
The joke ——->

..............You

Tackles numbers mean crap mate, there's a half an arm around someone standing next to you and there's stopping someone dead from leaving the area. Weids tackles stuck.

Also far from Lauding weid, he didn't do a hell of alot but he worked unselfishly for the team. Id take that game over Hogan (or anyone) kicking 4 over the back goals under no pressure.

The way weid played wasn't that good but it will help us win more games than Hogans style, it was a Jack Riewoldt style game without the skill

Weideman's pressure work is great, we all saw it away at Adelaide in 2017 and he showed it again today. I'd love to see Hogan jump and tackle with that kind of intent. At the same time, in order to make your point, I think its pretty exaggerated to suggest that Hogan kicks goals out the back regularly. Both played together five times this year, and there was a clearly superior player in every game - Hogan. I'll be chuffed if Weid comes good, and I'd be giving him every chance if I was Goodwin by playing Hogan up the ground and involving him in more centre bounces. He has the tank for it now, and the marking ability on the lead, and his field kicking is very good.

Hogan does have a bit of a laconic aura which can influence people’s perception; he definitely could improve his ability to crash packs and bring the ball to ground though. Wattsy averaged 3 tackles and 1 tackle inside 50 for us; not many people would’ve been happy with his pressure for us. Unfortunately I have to agree with topkent in that when Weideman tackles someone his tackles stick, whereas with Hoges I can’t recall the last time he caught someone holding the ball. His tackles can be a bit half hearted sometimes.

Jesse’s struggles inside fifty could also be attributed to the fact that he’s lost weight to play the CHF role which a fair few posters on bigfooty wanted him to play. I’m a bit annoyed that he basically did everything this board asked of him, ie improve his endurance leading and kicking and yet he’s still getting hate because he did lose the weight that the coaches wanted him to.

Hopefully Weed stays in the side for the rest of the season regardless. Good game yesterday. Looked confident in the air, probably for the first time since his debut game. His kicking for goal needs work though; it’s dreadful

There's plenty of valid feedback around Hogan's game, but ultimately people really don't appreciate how good he is because he's been great since day one. Its awesome as a fan to see Weideman take a real step forward yesterday, because it allays some fears around his development, but I think Hogan deserves a lot of credit for 47 goals (including three 20 and 3's) in 20 games after the year from hell in 2017. Could easily see him kick 60 next year from CHF, or 40 from a high HFF/wing spot.

Look Tulip,

Everyone knows I’m probably one of Hogan’s biggest supporters / Fan Boys on this Howard and even I can see Wieds tackles have more intent - some might even call them bone jarring / bone inducing

I think many here see a big difference on pressure and tackles subjectively speaking, although as you say the stats only indicate he is 1.5 x more productive on that front

All that said and as excited as I am, Hogan has a much bigger body of work so it’s truly a subjective discussion at this point in my opinion

P.S. thank you for the like yesterday

Any time love. Am I actually a grumpy bastard on here? I feel like I've been around for so long that my personality on here has fully deviated from IRL.

Weideman's pressure work is great, we all saw it away at Adelaide in 2017 and he showed it again today. I'd love to see Hogan jump and tackle with that kind of intent. At the same time, in order to make your point, I think its pretty exaggerated to suggest that Hogan kicks goals out the back regularly. Both played together five times this year, and there was a clearly superior player in every game - Hogan. I'll be chuffed if Weid comes good, and I'd be giving him every chance if I was Goodwin by playing Hogan up the ground and involving him in more centre bounces. He has the tank for it now, and the marking ability on the lead, and his field kicking is very good.

There's plenty of valid feedback around Hogan's game, but ultimately people really don't appreciate how good he is because he's been great since day one. Its awesome as a fan to see Weideman take a real step forward yesterday, because it allays some fears around his development, but I think Hogan deserves a lot of credit for 47 goals (including three 20 and 3's) in 20 games after the year from hell in 2017. Could easily see him kick 60 next year from CHF, or 40 from a high HFF/wing spot.

Any time love. Am I actually a grumpy bastard on here? I feel like I've been around for so long that my personality on here has fully deviated from IRL.

You are a passive aggressive mole some times yes :D

Unlike meself who has managed to stay balanced all of these years :moustache:

To your actual point Hogan was given the clearly superior role aswell, that 3rd tall role is a thankless and useless task. If weid is kicking 4 in that role he is the 2nd tall not 3rd. Hogan needs a new role i agree either in defence or as the richo wing role going forward only to exploit a mismatch.

He doesn't play well deep we don't use him well deep either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back