Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this board sees a player hit up a regulation inside 50 and think that this somehow proves they are gonna be a serious player.

The amount of times I've seen commenters fawn over Will Phillips completing a BASIC football skill and thinking he is somehow a special talent...

Pretty much every player that debuts for us, you see the comments after the match, "we have one" or "he is going to be a player" - EVERY ******* TIME. Go see Riley Harderman thread.

You all set yourselves up for disappointment. If a player can hit up a leading player inside 50, thats just the minimum ******* expectation of a professional AFL footballer.

Agreed.

And even from his draft video that propelled some excitement, he was hurried, never showed any capacity to hit a hard one, had zero kicking depth and just hoovered around teenagers being sort of clean and sort of sharp but nothing that was going to make the leap to the big time.

I don't even care anymore who we could have drafted but didn't. I care that every 18 year old in the country was available and we picked a player at 3 so clearly devoid of talent and weapons that it truly blows me away.

Agreed.

And even from his draft video that propelled some excitement, he was hurried, never showed any capacity to hit a hard one, had zero kicking depth and just hoovered around teenagers being sort of clean and sort of sharp but nothing that was going to make the leap to the big time.

I don't even care anymore who we could have drafted but didn't. I care that every 18 year old in the country was available and we picked a player at 3 so clearly devoid of talent and weapons that it truly blows me away.
You contrast his video with LDU and it’ll blow your head clean off.

The Swines have some great floppers.

That reversal in the first just as Hardwick kicked the goal was a massive flop.

Swines player runs at Chol who pushes him off is ******* ridiculous call. Swines player causes it by running at Chol looking for a flop.

Umpires are Swines cucks.

He might have been one of those inside midfielders that fades from top 10 contention during his draft year as his limitations get picked over in more detail. Like Will Lorenz or Adam D’Aloia. Except there was no U18 footy his draft year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this board sees a player hit up a regulation inside 50 and think that this somehow proves they are gonna be a serious player.

The amount of times I've seen commenters fawn over Will Phillips completing a BASIC football skill and thinking he is somehow a special talent...

Pretty much every player that debuts for us, you see the comments after the match, "we have one" or "he is going to be a player" - EVERY ******* TIME. Go see Riley Harderman thread.

You all set yourselves up for disappointment. If a player can hit up a leading player inside 50, thats just the minimum ******* expectation of a professional AFL footballer.
At least you know where to go if you need a turd polished. NM Big Footy is your first stop.

He might have been one of those inside midfielders that fades from top 10 contention during his draft year as his limitations get picked over in more detail. Like Will Lorenz or Adam D’Aloia. Except there was no U18 footy his draft year.
* off Bulldogs supporter. Sorry, that was a reflex.

His bottom age year is all that anyone had to judge him on, as you say, and he was playing third fiddle to a couple of handy players in Rowell and Anderson at Oakleigh. It's quite possible that in his top age year, if not for Covid, he may well have slipped down the list. One thing's for sure, that draft year was no belter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back