Remove this Banner Ad

2009 National Draft selection no. 42 - Geelong

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86547/default.aspx

AFL_MTD_Vardy_246b.jpg

Height: 198cm
Weight: 89kg
DOB: 25/06/91
Recruited from: Allies
Bio: Agile ruckman with excellent foot skills for his size. Ultra-competitive and very strong overhead. Tap work at clearances is a distinct strength. Vic Country U18 representative in 2009.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 8-25

What type of player are you?
Mobile ruckman and forward.

Which AFL player do you resemble, and why?
Paddy Ryder, because I feel I have similar athletic attributes.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Work rate, strong mark, efficient kick, team player.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Speed off the mark, body strength.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Carlton, because my father barracks for them.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Family, because they are the most critical but also the most supportive.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86547/default.aspx

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

Nathan Vardy age 20
Gippsland Power u18
Ruckman
Pick number 42 in the 2009 AFL National Draft
Jumper Number 36

In a draft that yield Daniel Menzell,Mitch Duncan,Allen Christensen and Josh Cowan you may think this old fart's off the planet when I say this young ruckman could be the pick of the bunch but let me tell you he is the closest thing I've seen to John (Sam) Newman,big call I know but he's a natural talent,Huge leap, good strong hands, good kick and a football brain.
Make no mistake this kid is a gun10 year player.
Look in the dictionary for modern day footballer you should see a picture of Nathan.

The Cats were wrapped to pick him up with pick 42 and gave him time in 2010 to develop in the VFL side playing 17 games and allowing him to drift forward where he kicked multiple goals on 6 occasions.

2011 the beginning of something special started for Nathan rd 9 against Carlton,with Otto and Hawkins sharing the ruck duties Vardy played more a forward roll and was probable just happy to get the debut out of the way.

Rd 10 was to be a better test with Ottens out with the General, this was Vardy's opportunity to show what he had to offer as first ruck, this day he would be pitted against the exciting young Suns ruckman Zac Smith a giant at 205 cm and 97 kgs.Both were good for their respective teams, (I feel there is a but coming on)but Vardy's contribution in the ruck against a much bigger opponent of 10 possessions 6 Marks 20 hit outs and a goal should not be under estimated and signaled his potential.

Game 3 was to see him in his third role in as many games, with Hawkins out with a knee and Ottens back in the side he would again play forward but this time support the big fella in the ruck which he did and could have bagged 2 or 3 goals.

Rd 12 Was one of those games where Otto dominated and when Otto's doing that you don't get a look in, but Nathan continued to work hard and finished with 15 hit outs and a goal

By rd 13 the Ottens,Vardy ruck combination was starting to look like a fixture,and his two goals in this game playing forward were evidence he could possible hold down a key forward position in fact that was the game our Robert Walls declared he was worried Hawkins may not get back into this Geelong side.

Rd 14 the now famous general (soreness) struck and he was rested.

By rounds 15,16,17 the work rate was starting to diminish as the big young body started to feel the demands of AFL footy and rd 18 he was listed as out hamstring.

He returned rd 21 where he sustained a hip injury from a knock that ended his season.

I for one am looking forward to watching this kid do his stuff in the years to come.

At this stage, does Vardy look at certainty to make our best 22 week in week out (provided he is fit)?

In our last game this year (and his first, if I recall correctly), at times I mistook this leaping forward for Tommy Hawkins. He played with definite promise. I wonder, if he builds upon that form which he'll no doubt do, whether or not he'll start to take priority over Pods' spot as the 2013 season goes on.

All in all I'm hoping for a big and plentiful season from this gun

At this stage, does Vardy look at certainty to make our best 22 week in week out (provided he is fit)?

I reckon he does :thumbsu:
Like you said, has a terrific leap but really strong hands.
Moves a little quicker than most 198cm players and it often catches out defenders when he pushes forward as once he goes, he doesn't hold back.

Be interesting to see how he goes after another summer in the gym because Pods in a conventional one on one duel is nearly impossible to beat whereas Vardy has not yet had enough exposure in that scenario and he'd need to be doing this in order to push the J-Pod out of the best 22.

Be interesting to see how he goes after another summer in the gym because Pods in a conventional one on one duel is nearly impossible to beat whereas Vardy has not yet had enough exposure in that scenario and he'd need to be doing this in order to push the J-Pod out of the best 22.

In addition to, what I anticipate to be an eventual, Pods v Vardy selection dilemma (Who knows, Geelong might just opt to go Hawkins + Pods + Vardy whenever the three are available), I'm quite eager to see where Mitch Brown is. Just another of a handful of supposedly very able Geelong forwards who haven't played much AFL.

yeh I agree, I mean what defensive backline in the league would have the necessary matchup's to take Hawkins, Pods and then Vardy? Not to mention Menzel who plays a lot taller than his listed size.

Mitch was a revelation down back in the VFL.
Doesn't get kudos for his courage but he has plenty of it but he is a little lazy with his pressure and I think that's what the coaching staff are trying to rectify.
Has excellent marking ability and a superb kick, without sounding overly optimistic, many Cat fans will be surprised by his output in the seniors next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back