Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't worry Conca will end up with eight seasons to prove no good, but some will get excited about his one great game in June 2018 to convince us al he's worth persisting.
Really hoping Conca get some games under his belt and can hold down a spot for a year or two whilst someone else gets up to speed. He is what he is and is probably safe while we have soldiers like Hunt, Morris, Townsend, Lambert etc on the list.

Last edited:

Its easy to have hindsight with drafting. We probably werent looking for a tall as vickery just came of 36 goals from memory.
I'm not having a go at drafting.

My point is that we hang on to players, who are dime a dozen for too long. I think Grigg and Houli have both been great pick ups for RFC, but I don't see them getting better, and I don't see them playing in our next premiership, but both are in our best 22.

At Hawthorn, as soon as Mitchell and Lewis looked like they weren't going to be in the clubs best 10, replacements were found. That is the cut throat list management required to win flags.

If we had shipped off two or three of the type of player mentioned in my previous post, would we have had enough in our cap to make a play for an A-grader?

My point is that we hang on to players, who are dime a dozen for too long. I think Grigg and Houli have both been great pick ups for RFC, but I don't see them getting better, and I don't see them playing in our next premiership, but both are in our best 22.

At Hawthorn, as soon as Mitchell and Lewis looked like they weren't going to be in the clubs best 10, replacements were found. That is the cut throat list management required to win flags.

If we had shipped off two or three of the type of player mentioned in my previous post, would we have had enough in our cap to make a play for an A-grader?
Lewis decided to leave.
Mitchell left to pursue coaching ambitions.
Two poor examples imo. And both would still be top 10 at the hawks imo.

We still have room in our cap to lure a player. Yarran just quit and chaplin retired and lids left.

They just finished 1 & 2 in their BnF :huh:

Luke Hodge didn't even finish top 10

Last edited:
Lewis decided to leave.

We still have room in our cap to lure a player. Yarran just quit and chaplin retired and lids left.
Sewell is a great example at Hawforn tho, was a great midfielder, but the first sign of decline he was omitted for the next 'soldier'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was nothing cut throat or genius about Hawthorn letting two players well in there 30's go to other clubs, they didn't even want to them both go but lost Lewis because of shopping him around.

Lewis decided to leave.

Dusty will hold us to ransom and so will lennon after he has a breakout year with aome of our better youngsters looking to recommit next year. Not sure how much we will have to splash around

Dusty will hold us to ransom and so will lennon after he has a breakout year with aome of our better youngsters looking to recommit next year. Not sure how much we will have to splash around

Dusty didn't muck around last time he re-signed. He won't play for a club outside of Melbourne while his dad is in New Zealand. Plus the club he goes to would have to be sympathetic to his circumstances.

Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Geelong would not have the cap space for him, Melbourne too for that matter.

Carlton are shit.
Essendon are shit, can't imagine their cap is too loose either.
North are going backwards.

That leaves St Kilda and us. Unless Dusty is just after a payday and doesn't care about success. And that's debatable for St Kilda as they looked like a dogs breakfast last night.

Can't see him leaving TBH, and believe reports he will sign sooner rather than later, probably for 5+ years.

If Lennon has a good year it will mean we had a good year and he will be overvalued. If he didn't want to take a fair price, I'd happily see the arse of him for a late first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back