Retired #31: Dustin Fletcher - Legend & VFL Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

When Dustin was born in 1975 North hadn't even won a premiership, and there were only 12 teams - including Fitzroy and South Melbourne - and all games were played in Victoria, on a Saturday afternoon.

When Dustin was born in 1975 North hadn't even won a premiership, and there were only 12 teams - including Fitzroy and South Melbourne - and all games were played in Victoria, on a Saturday afternoon.

Makes it seem like it was generations ago.

Only 5 years before I was born though. Will be a sad day for the league when he does hang up those boots.

I can't really see him coaching or going into the media either so chances are he's just going to disappear. :(
He's already a part time coach at Essendon I thought?

I can't really see him coaching or going into the media either so chances are he's just going to disappear. :(
Wasn't he going to be employed by the club when he's finished? As a coach or something. I don't think he will ever leave the club. He even mentioned in his press conference the other day that it's all he knows and he doesn't think he will do anything outside of footy once he's done. But it's really not relevant now, we've got him as a player for another good 10 years+.

The Fletch is omnipresent. As long as he walks this Earth, he will live on through the hearts of all those who march to the beat of Glory and Fame. He will forever be enshrined as a deity of the people, a figurehead of all that is red and black. He's the hero Essendon deserves, and will always be needed. So we'll worship him. Because he deserves it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a gangly protector. An Inspector Gadget.

Hard to believe also that when Dustin was born in 1975, nearly half the teams he currently plays against (eight in fact), didn't even exist.

(Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Sydney, GWS, Brisbane, Gold Coast, West Coast & Freo)

How's the chase he put on that young whipper-snapper Saint (can't remember who) through the middle on Sunday. I was waiting for one of his highly stressed, ageing tendons to twang. He never gave up the chase which says everything really. Rarely does he have to chase for more than 10 metres like that.

Jack Steven who is lightening fast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to believe also that when Dustin was born in 1975, nearly half the teams he currently plays against (eight in fact), didn't even exist.

(Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Sydney, GWS, Brisbane, Gold Coast, West Coast & Freo)
inb4 Port fan comes in and talks about 1870 and 37 premierships.

Game 400 shaping as the dream time at the G game V Richmond.

Away game, but should still get plenty of bombers fans to the ground to celebrate Fletches big milestone.

My memory is hazy but I thought it might've been Jack. Kept pace pretty well from memory.

Lonie, not Steven, and it wasn't so much speed as it was he outsmarted him, Lonie tried to put the breaks on and let Fletcher pass and Fletch was just too agile for him, and avoided getting in his back perfectly too

Lonie, not Steven, and it wasn't so much speed as it was he outsmarted him, Lonie tried to put the breaks on and let Fletcher pass and Fletch was just too agile for him, and avoided getting in his back perfectly too

No from what was posted I'm pretty sure he was referring to Fletcher's chase on Steven when he was keeping up but didn't manage to lay the tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back