Player Watch #32: Toby Pink - signed as a DFA - welcome Toby BFNAAK

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Comben in defence. Would be thrilled to be wrong about him, but I feel we desperately need him developing his craft up forward where he belongs.

Long term, W. Dawson is our backline guy and I hope to see him debut this year.

RE McKay, ferball is not far off. McKay was dreadful.

There was a play when Sydney got a bit of space on the turnover and McKay was trailing his man by at least 30 meters. He hesitated to run forward then jogged back as his man got further ahead. Sydney had the ball for so long that he could've easily got back in time to spoil or intercept but it was such a large amount of space that he allowed his man to gain it was an easy mark and goal.

The same issues he had adjusting to zone defence is happening again at another club. Does not know how to adjust.

Yup, he needs a starting point to use his intercepting as a weapon, and unfortunately the only starting point that doesn't see him completely lost is him within arms reach of an opponent. He's pretty damned good at knowing if he can peel off and make it to an aerial contest, and then darn good again at affecting that contest, but that's about it. He's probably average or worse at stationary 1v1's, his best disposal is literally to handball off to someone else to think through it, and he has absolutely nfi how to think his way out of a paperbag let alone a zone defence.

Literally the type of guy to get lost for 5 hours in a kid's maze even if he's tall enough to easily see over the top of it.

McKay has awful 1v1 stats. He can intercept but that's about it.
I watched him get bossed by Logan MacDonald last night.

McKay has always been terrible one on one, mainly due to s**t body positioning.

He only looked great for us when he could play loose and intercept.
Yeah i've always thought he handled players like Hawkins really well. Trust me, couldn't stand him and the way he'd get lost out there, but I always thought his 1 v 1's. when with us, were ok. He seemed easily lost in transition though, way too easily.

Surely to * no one is saying they'd rather McKay than Duursma? A bottom team is going to jump at the chance to trade in a middling (maybe muddling) FB for pick 3. It's not even a discussion.

Anyway, back to Toby Pink. Was better, but likely a place holder until we get Logue and Comben fit and W Dawson up to speed.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I kinda am. If McKay's management had asked us for 5 years, good but not ridiculous coin I'd have done it and foregone the pick. We have our gorilla committed to the club and build around that.

However as all agree, pick 3 compo was as good a return as we could get once that was off the table.

State league player.

Delist.

Execute.
Yeah, it's silly, isn't it?

He's here as a depth player, we get him as a DFA (ie no trade or draft capital spent) and I'm tipping he's either on, or very close to, minimum wage. If he makes it as a player, great. If not, it's not that big a deal, IMO - we can try to acquire another KPD during the FA/trade period.

I like him don't understand the level of criticism in week 1.

You can only ask that defenders stay alert, compete hard and play as a team within a team. If they're trapped 1 on 1 with a bigger, stronger opponent and the ball is flying in there's not much they can do.

I assume most critics on here are under 7 years old and missed the time Josh Bruce took apart Robbie Tarrant and Scott Thompson like they were topup hacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay.

He had a good game apart from the 2 that got kicked on him in 2 minutes the ¾. Tabener outbodied him for the 1st and the 2nd he was trying to guard both Taberner and Jackson because Xerri was snoozing 10 metres away.

Last edited:
Watched the replay.

He had a good game apart from the 2 that got kicked on him in 2 minutes the ¾. Tabener outbodied him for the 1st and the 2nd he was trying to guard both Amiss and Jackson because Xerri was snoozing 10 metres away.
A real AFL grade defender would've covered both concurrently.

Watched the replay.

He had a good game apart from the 2 that got kicked on him in 2 minutes the ¾. Tabener outbodied him for the 1st and the 2nd he was trying to guard both Amiss and Jackson because Xerri was snoozing 10 metres away.
The latter was really bad by X, followed Jackson down then decided to play goalkeeper or something instead of tracking the reaaallllyy tall guy who is capable of turning a game completely around.

Watched the replay.

The Jackson one wasn’t his fault in any way.

For a guy that's played 2 games, I think he's done pretty well so far. He has his limitations obviously and our current list situation is forcing those limitations to be tested.
The thing is, he’s no worse than McKay imo. We got him for free, his wage would be low af and we got Duursma.
Such a huge win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back