VFL Past #48: Kyle Hardingham - Made the VFL team of the year!

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't think he was terrible, there were one or two glaring mistakes but really he did an OK job. I still have him at the same level as Steinberg so the senior gig would go to the one who can learn the fastest to lead away from JD and Carlisle, create space and not get in their way.

Was horrible tonight. But why he was played down back after starting forward confused me? Either keep him fwd for a stint or don't play him at all.
People quickly forget the good stuff when he stuffs up, especially when it is as costly as the one at CHB.

What an absolute copout. So it's ok for him stuff up under no pressure is it? This part of his game is his Achilles heel & the reason he play's reserves football. The fact he's still making the same mistake when game is in balance tells me he's not improving.

agree, and the comments here are simply way to harsh.

He actually looked ok up forward, goal kicking was sound and is clearly dangerous in the air. One defensive clanger doesn't change that.

Not harsh at all. One defensive clanger tells me he shouldn't be in defense because clangers has been a hallmark of his game down there since day dot.

Was horrible tonight. But why he was played down back after starting forward confused me? Either keep him fwd for a stint or don't play him at all.

What an absolute copout. So it's ok for him stuff up under no pressure is it? This part of his game is his Achilles heel & the reason he play's reserves football. The fact he's still making the same mistake when game is in balance tells me he's not improving.

It's not a cop out, it's fact... I am not saying he doesn't make costly mistakes and if that side of his game doesn't improve we cannot afford to play him if we are to become a serious contender. He is a quality depth player though and could make a decent 3rd tall. He may not play more than a handful of games but that is all we may need from him. Clearly his ambition is greater than his ability down back because he doesn't take the easy option, but up forward I can see him being more than serviceable as a depth player this year.

This guy just needs to eradicate those turnovers, and he is a best 22 lock for what he can bring in all 3 thirds of the ground.

Id nearly give him the mandate to never go in-board, and always along the line for a few weeks regardless of options. Hooker has REALLY improved in this area but changing up the options he is taking.

Really stood up and took over Thomas, especially in the air after Hibbo had a pretty ordinary go of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy just needs to eradicate those turnovers, and he is a best 22 lock for what he can bring in all 3 thirds of the ground.

Id nearly give him the mandate to never go in-board, and always along the line for a few weeks regardless of options. Hooker has REALLY improved in this area but changing up the options he is taking.

Really stood up and took over Thomas, especially in the air after Hibbo had a pretty ordinary go of that.

My sentiments exactly. I would be telling him to not stray beyond the 50m arc...period! As you mentio , no switching of play, just kick to top of square if required. He needs to be told to keep things simple, cos he's to error prone to do otherwise.

All things being said, I like him in a pocket & thought he was good fri night.

I love how he had 3 turnovers that lead to goals, yet in the book it has 2 clangers. Either you guys are wrong or Champion Data is.

The third isn't recorded as a clanger as it did not go 'directly OOB or directly to an unmarked opponent'.. the turnover was caused as Hardingham swung the ball into the middle and missed his target, thus creating a 'loose ball' that was swept away by North for a goal.

Champion Data does not record that as a clanger (or every player would have 10 clangers a game).. however it was a clear turnover and goal.

Too much made of Hardingham's clangers/turnovers. The fact is that 60 to 70% of all opposition scores come from turnovers. And of all turnovers about 35-40% result in scores. So in effect about 1 in 3 turnovers result in a score. It's often a matter of luck whether your turnover results in a score.

Too much made of Hardingham's clangers/turnovers. The fact is that 60 to 70% of all opposition scores come from turnovers. And of all turnovers about 35-40% result in scores. So in effect about 1 in 3 turnovers result in a score. It's often a matter of luck whether your turnover results in a score.

But you would have to agree that if Hardingham removed those 'bad clangers'.. then suddenly he moves from fringe player to certain best 22... For mine he has all the attributes.. flexibility in positioning, great mark overhead both forward and back, creates space, nice kick for goal, good defensive pressure.. so no reason for him not to cement a spot in the side..

But you would have to agree that if Hardingham removed those 'bad clangers'.. then suddenly he moves from fringe player to certain best 22... For mine he has all the attributes.. flexibility in positioning, great mark overhead both forward and back, creates space, nice kick for goal, good defensive pressure.. so no reason for him not to cement a spot in the side..

I absolutely agree with your summary of Hardingham's attributes. He is one player who must be INSTRUCTED to kick down the line - Like Hooker has learnt.

Thought it was the best game he'd played in an age.

He could be pretty damn handy playing the role of a classic FF.
He played well, he just needs to wear these so he only kicks down the ground and not across it.
Blinkers.jpg

More good than bad from Hardingham and a positive overall performance. It'll be a struggle for him to force his way into the side when the list is fitter but that was not a bad start.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back