VFL Past #48: Kyle Hardingham - Made the VFL team of the year!

Remove this Banner Ad

His problem was getting rid of the pill when he got it, that's why nobody gave it to him.

Loved this "I love Essendon through and through and I am excited to be staying at the club in this capacity.”

:)

A very smart signing for our VFL side. If he plays forward we have a mismatch for the other clubs need to deal with in some way or a good small/medium defender.

Pleasantly surprised by this.
Same. There have been a few delisted players who, on face value, would have been great VFL signings following their delisting- senior players like Ricky Dyson and Aaron Davey.

It's never worked out that way before, though. So this is really nice to see.

It's a shame his senior career is at an end, but I'll happily take him as a leader in the seconds.

I wonder if the club has some aspirations of him holding an actual leadership position?

Same. There have been a few delisted players who, on face value, would have been great VFL signings following their delisting- senior players like Ricky Dyson and Aaron Davey.

It's never worked out that way before, though. So this is really nice to see.

It's a shame his senior career is at an end, but I'll happily take him as a leader in the seconds.

I wonder if the club has some aspirations of him holding an actual leadership position?

Heard the club holds him in high regard and is looking at getting him into an off field role in some capacity around the club.

Terrific club man, wonderful with the young players and whilst limited, he would give his all in whatever role he was given

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the player numbers on the senior list finalised?

If not, maybe Hardy could even stay in 34.
Yes, Jake Long has 34. 37 is the lowest unavailable, so maybe that.

Fantastic. I wish there was more of this Doss (delisted guys hanging around for the 2s). Kyle has showed great humility and passion for the club.

Was stiff to be delisted (up to Gwilt to perform) and some other clubs are fools for not picking him up IMO.

I'm with Yodellinhank. Hardingham should be on an AFL list - He's an AFL standard small defender - Will he play as a small defender which could be his pathway back onto an AFL list or will he play elsewhere. It's an interesting dilemma.

If he was that good he would have played more. Sure, he had the misfortune to be stuck behind three high quality smalls, with a raft of youngsters also coming through, but his game always had fundamental limitations. While he consistently performed in the VFL side, his disposal just as consistently crumbled under the additional pressure at senior level. Somewhat similar in that respect to another "almost there" type in Ricky Dyson, though obviously a very different player.

The fact neither were re-drafted (and you can throw in various other Essendon players who had shown signs but were cut in their prime years) suggests clubs at the bottom, performing at a level that would accommodate such players, are optimistic of drafting and developing better talents and moving beyond that. As Essendon has done.

None of which takes away from Hardingham's contribution. A committed, hard-working player, who unfortunately just wasn't quite up to it.

Last edited:
Was a little surprised at how comparatively little impact he had on Sunday. He'll be aiming to lift on that this week.
He wasn't playing deep enough IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back