Delisted 37. Michael Luxford (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

As a basketballer scored 61 points one Friday evening playing for Werribee rep U/16. Absolute gun basketballer.

His attributes for football will be decision making, athleticism, nuggety and speed. He is one of those kids who can do things either feet/hand. As i understand can kick 50 metres right foot and 45 metres left from standing start.

Cat fans you will not be disappointed. Mickey needs to play some footy to be able to read the game like he does with his basketball, not yet sure whether will be inside or outside player but with his exquisite skill set, smart ball skills we will be very fortunate to see this lad playing in the blue and white if not towards end of 2014, definitely 2015.

Welcome cat claw thanks for the heads up!

Don't be shy any info on Mickey is awesome.

As a basketballer scored 61 points one Friday evening playing for Werribee rep U/16. Absolute gun basketballer.

His attributes for football will be decision making, athleticism, nuggety and speed. He is one of those kids who can do things either feet/hand. As i understand can kick 50 metres right foot and 45 metres left from standing start.

Cat fans you will not be disappointed. Mickey needs to play some footy to be able to read the game like he does with his basketball, not yet sure whether will be inside or outside player but with his exquisite skill set, smart ball skills we will be very fortunate to see this lad playing in the blue and white if not towards end of 2014, definitely 2015.
Thanks Mickey and welcome to the Cats:)

This guy went to my school for over a decade, and I used to have the biggest crush on him. Literally, I was so in love with him. I have him on Facebook hell yeaaaa.

Absolute gentleman, good bloke, and really friendly. Participated in sport every single day and was the best at every single sport he played, but ESPECIALLY basketball. If I remember correctly he's won several state basketball championships. I have no doubt he could convert this on a football level. He is very competitive, a good leader, a hard worker but at times a little cocky on field.

darren forssman was stiff... I thought he had our Category B spot sewn up!

better right foot than shannon byrnes, straighter kick than mccarthy and gardiner, more speed than matty spencer (sorry senior spanner), less injuries than varcoe and wont get violent after a night on the turps...hand me the pill.

Already a thread

Whenever I read your posts, I think of Walter, and associate you with Walter, like I now do with Bobby (Jack Byrnes).
Bit wierd but engaging all at once.

On future potential it's the bottom 3, we shouldn't have played Varcoe those 12 games straight at sub 10 disposals a pop! His currency took a nose dive through the stupidity of playing him.
If they hadn't been so insistent, and attached a high value, we may still have landed a reasonable pick for him and got Robinson.
I just hope he has to earn his stripes this year after his abysmal 2013.

Went to school with him and was in the year below me. Kid is a freak and a natural athlete. I think you guys have been chasing him since about June to get him and they've been testing him and have been amazed from what he can do both athletically and already with the footy. Was surprised he didn't follow the basketball route but the kid has drive to make it in the AFL so good luck guys!

he's 92 kilos!
Hard to tell from that photo but he appears to have solid arms and you would assume he'd have solid legs being a basketballer with exceptional leaping prowess.

Sounds a little like Christian Petracca, a gun basketballer at Whitefriars who is killing them in the TAC Cup as a footballer with Ablett snr-like skills. 92kg for 186 cm is massive for an 18yo.

Sounds a little like Christian Petracca, a gun basketballer at Whitefriars who is killing them in the TAC Cup as a footballer with Ablett snr-like skills. 92kg for 186 cm is massive for an 18yo.
As an ex friar myself, I hope he does well.
I've heard the Petrecca name already and will follow closely.
As for Luxford, it seems that there is a definite potential there. Sounds like a fair unit at 92 kegs.
I feel we will see more cross over like this with talented kids that are new to footy for a few reasons. Footy has 18 teams with 40 odd list spots. Top level bb has a squad of 15. Cricket has a squad of 14.

I think it comes back to opportunity. Not saying all cross overs will work but natural ability and fitness are translatable across sports and genres. The nfl now sees 4 year college bb players getting drafted to NFL teams because of size, speed and hands. Physical metrics can translate well to afl. The rest can be up to the player to work hard and have the right attitude.
Sounds like Luxford has both.

Blitz has clearly brought the spotlight to how the cross over can be made. However, I hope that it is remembered that Blitz is probably the exception not the norm - and he still has massive amounts to learn.

I hope Luxford develops into his own playing self - not the expectations of what Blitz has done.
Expectations should be low. I would luv for him to be a star but I reckon it's gonna take time.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an ex friar myself...

Explains a bit!
emoticon-00135-makeup.gif

very much so, I'm amazed how big these kids are, when I was in high school, we were all around the 70-85kg mark and even the naturally gifted guys who had big thighs and arms wouldn't have nudged 90+ kg's.

Different generation coming through as they do seem to be getting a little bigger and stronger every couple of decades or so.
Don't know how much work BB do in training,do they do weights etc, he could actually lose a few kilos initially at Kardinia park.

i hope his better then ediriwickrama, i think we all can remember the love affair this forum had with him

I very much doubt he is better at the same age, as Ediriwickrama was under-18 All Australian.

Yeah, I'm not sure how the two are comparable in any way, besides them being Geelong rookies at some time. Completely different backgrounds.

Didn't Ranga have big hammy issues at some point too? Never fully got going from what I recall… Happy to be corrected?

Go Catters

This guy went to my school for over a decade, and I used to have the biggest crush on him. Literally, I was so in love with him. I have him on Facebook hell yeaaaa.

Absolute gentleman, good bloke, and really friendly. Participated in sport every single day and was the best at every single sport he played, but ESPECIALLY basketball. If I remember correctly he's won several state basketball championships. I have no doubt he could convert this on a football level. He is very competitive, a good leader, a hard worker but at times a little cocky on field.
So we can expect a change of profile photo from you now. :)

It makes me shiver in fear.

Why fear? Can you not just set your expectation meter to zero and let it be for 2 years and see what happens?

I understand you want to have every player be a Geelong great - and I like to see them succeed too - but fear?

Maybe just horses for courses...

Go Catters

It makes me shiver in fear.

there are some success stories in the AFL where athletes have come from a non football background. A Canadian in Sydney comes to mind ...

for what he'll cost us it's well worth a try, not the end of the world if it doesn't work out. But could be one of those left field success stories ...........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back