Past Jeff Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

That dribble kick is going haunt me like Yazz's last year. What was he thinking.

Bounced back brilliantly. Was vicious in his attack. Needs to have the concentration and desire to do it consistently now.

I have no doubt he could be the best forward pocket in the league.

Eddie is more consistent though...also despite playing the same spot they're very different footballers.

I just think at full confidence Jeffy makes more of an impact around the ground. When he's focused he will bob up in the back pocket, the midfield.

But that's not slight on Eddie. He is elite.

Was just watching the West Coast game again and Jeffy was immense. Great defensive pressure and finished off some of his offensive work. Definitely his best game for the year but also shows that his best form is just under the surface. Hope he can clear his head and get back to showing the ability we know he has.

Tough year for Jeff. 2011 seems like a lifetime ago.

Think he's a good chance to be traded at the end of the year, I hope it really doesn't happen. When he's on, he's our most dangerous forward and you can see opposition defenders s**t themselves if they fumble it when he's around.

Mick seems to have done a lot of good work with Yaz, I hope he can do the same for Jeff.

Jeffy's first half of last year is the best footy I've seen him play. But he seems to have lost his way since.

Still was our leading goal kicker last year so it's obvious we are missing him this year.

Unless we get an offer too good to refuse, I'd really like us to keep Jeffy. He'll come good again.

Jeff Garlett still has value, says Blues development coach
“I think he can add value to the Carlton team obviously they played really well last night but when you see him going, he wins the footy, he’s got good speed and when he uses it, he’s obviously got goal sense so at that next level when things open up for him, he can definitely do that,” Webster said.

“It’s obviously a hard one for Jeffy. He’s always going to get a really good [tag] and he’s always going to get a good one in the AFL too but there’s less space in the VFL so you’ve got to work twice as hard to make sure you’re finding some space,” Webster said.

“We’ve got to help him out and try and give him a chop out at times and block for him as a group and at the moment we probably need to do that across the board.”
Jeff Garlett still has value, says Blues development coach

Serious question

Are we really fine with the idea of losing a proven talent for chips?
I'm not. It seems to me they just hoping things will turn around with Jeffy eventually. Why don't they try something different if things are not working? Why not try him as the tagger or down back to add something to his game? Don't just keep on doing the same old same old if it ain't working! Isn't that what coaches and development staff are supposed to do, support players and get them back to playing their best? The talent is there ... he is proven AFL player so, get him a shrink if you have to, but do something for God's sake!

At the moment seems we've got Ellard or McLean "filling" Jeffy's role. Probably is, McLean lacks the pace to do that role, and Ellard is a great trier but lacks the ability to be a nifty / creative / pacey forward pocket / flanker.

I'd be working hard to keep Jeffy over Ellard or McLean, because an in form Jeffy can do the role, whereas the other two never will be able to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dermott Brereton
There has been a lot of speculative talk about Jeff Garlett.

Will the Blues trade him? Will he ask to go home?

Garlett is a raw talent. A player to watch and gape at in awe when in full flight.

But he is also a player to make you feel a little uneasy and look away when he wilfully avoids contact.

He needs to make a decision what his position in this forward line stands for.

Does he want to cement a place with the Blues up forward? Or does he want to drift into another team and calmly drift off into the footballing sunset within another two years.

Last edited:
Not if the Age is correct and we have withdrawn our contract.

Not if the Age is correct and we have withdrawn our contract.

I can't see us risking things with Garlett or any other player for that matter, that turns up anything less than 100% of the time.

I'm sorry for some of the circumstances that surround players that will be moved on at years end but we just can't have it any other way, any more.

Garlett is having a bad season but lots of players do. I hope Carlton keeps him and he get back to his good form.

A very sad end to 100 game career in the navy blue jumper which provided so many highlights.

It wasn't his best goal, it may not even be in his top 10 but his goal to finish off the tigers in the EF last year was something I will never forget.

All the best little Jeppy, hopefully you can find some peace at your new club.

Let's face it guys, he struggled to get a kick in the 2's, let alone kick any goals. I know he has had personal issues, but how do you drop so dramatically in form as he did the last 18 months. Could it be Mick's game plan, or the defection of Eddie?

Re: Jeffrey Garlett

Wisbey posted this about Garlett yesterday:

http://www.voy.com/51976/40732.html

I left him out of my top 50 for the National draft but he was fairly early in my Rookie rankies. Electric goalkicker but chronically skinny (even allowing for lack of development / conditioning). I respect his footy ability but had some concerns re how well he would embrace the commitment / discipline requirements of AFL. I suspect getting picked up by an interstate club will be good for him, once (if) he adjusts OK.

how prophetic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back