Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Weve kicked just 11 goals in the last 2 games of footy and conceded 29. Or in another way, have percentage of 48.4%.

We have nothing to lose by playing him. He hits the scoreboard unlike most, and even if there are questions over him conceding defensively, it's not like anyone else currently in the team bloody isn't.

FFS wake up.

He ****ed up playing Naismith instead of Ryan. Campbell and Mansell have done sfa for weeks now so start playing natural forwards.
Did you go the game TI out of interest?
I was there on level 2 in the MCC and it wasn’t the forward line that was the issue.
I went along with zero confidence as I thought their midfield would dominate, with 5 first choice mids unavailable for us. And that’s how it panned out.
Nank was fine so ruck wasn’t the problem. Our starting mids were mainly Baker (a defender imo), Dow who’s inexperienced still, and Dusty who’s sadly lost any pace he ever possessed. Yze tried Bolton, D Rioli, Sonsie, Pickett and others in there too but their mids still killed us.
Imo, we really need to draft some top line mids in this upcoming draft, as well as try to then grab some decent talls, back and forward. Depth an issue but when we haven’t been to the pointy end of the draft for a while, it’s not surprising.

I was there on level 2 in the MCC and it wasn’t the forward line that was the issue.
I went along with zero confidence as I thought their midfield would dominate, with 5 first choice mids unavailable for us. And that’s how it panned out.
Nank was fine so ruck wasn’t the problem. Our starting mids were mainly Baker (a defender imo), Dow who’s inexperienced still, and Dusty who’s sadly lost any pace he ever possessed. Yze tried Bolton, D Rioli, Sonsie, Pickett and others in there too but their mids still killed us.
Imo, we really need to draft some top line mids in this upcoming draft, as well as try to then grab some decent talls, back and forward. Depth an issue but when we haven’t been to the pointy end of the draft for a while, it’s not surprising.
No I didn’t go to the game and of course we got monstered in the middle, but Naismith still offered nothing and was beaten in the ruck as well. He was terrible, but yeah he had a lot of mates. Yze was disappointed with his game if you’ve seen the presser.. I just see absolutely no benefit of having this list clogger on our list.

I've been questioning for a couple of weeks why we haven't been experimenting a bit more up forward, while non-performers have been getting games every week. It could have been Ryan because he can at least make a target up forward. It could have been Cumberland.

But at the same time, both players have gone about their work well at VFL and have not dropped their heads. The coaches will be noting this. Cumberland in particular played a team-oriented game, handballed where he once would have had a ping, lowered his eyes, supported his team-mates and did very little of the chat and self-flagellation with the little man inside his head. I think this is what the coaches have been after and why he hasn't been getting games.

Not much point bringing in the old Cumbo with his idiosyncrasies into the pressure we are under in the seniors. Probably needs to be rewarded, and what is very obvious is that our forward line needs some spark and unpredictability.

Lefau has been good, MRJ good in general, but when Bolton and Dusty have to go into the middle to support our mids like on the weekend, we have no scoring power. Mansell could be tried on the wing or rested, Campbell needs a break and there is no rationale for not playing Cumberland now. The other one is Smith, his speed, good kicking and dash should suit playing on the MCG. There is no point not playing him. Put him on the wing and let him develop.

I thought our tall backs did a very good job. Both Young and Miller are starting to mark now, both are very good kicks, and are strong defensively. To keep their tall targets to 6 goals when the ball was coming in pretty much pressure free was good. Then we have Gibcus and Bolta back in with Lefau going well enough.

Our midfield need strengthening for sure, and with a very low draft pic this year, we are pretty assured to get a good one. MacAuliffe will help, nice player but nowhere near fit enough to play full time mid at this stage of the season. Maybe he plays limited time in the midfield but still needs games in the VFL at this stage.

Last edited:
Considering his high skill level, his decision making / brain fades are sometimes diabolical. Did you all watch the VFL on the weekend?
Yes I did as I needed to see what midfield options and forward options we had for the Doggies game bc I knew we were going to struggle yesterday.
NIWL is a package deal and you’re going to get the good , bad and the ugly with him. Only if he can increase more of his good he may amount to be a very dangerous player, but let’s not make excuses for him not getting a game now if you actually watched yesterday’s game. He must play with Ryan no matter what as we need to see if they can out perform the Campbell and Naismith combo.

Considering his high skill level, his decision making / brain fades are sometimes diabolical. Did you all watch the VFL on the weekend?
The longer the game went the better he was, and the better his decision making. Some of his decision making was good also, one in particular which displayed improvement was when he wheeled around on his left, 50m out, and you knew he wanted to have a ping, but quickly handballed over the top who then did the same and ended up in our goal square for a simple goal.

He is far from a polished player, but he makes things happen when he is around the ball and more often than not wins one on one contests, or with his new defensive thinking, squares them, which has been his major issue.

He kicked 1.6 and with an ounce more luck or composure could easily have been 3 or 4 goals. Has Mansell, his major competition, or Campbell, who is young so not expecting much, ever done that in any game.

The longer the game went the better he was, and the better his decision making. Some of his decision making was good also, one in particular which displayed improvement was when he wheeled around on his left, 50m out, and you knew he wanted to have a ping, but quickly handballed over the top who then did the same and ended up in our goal square for a simple goal.

He is far from a polished player, but he makes things happen when he is around the ball and more often than not wins one on one contests, or with his new defensive thinking, squares them, which has been his major issue.

He kicked 1.6 and with an ounce more luck or composure could easily have been 3 or 4 goals. Has Mansell, his major competition, or Campbell, who is young so not expecting much, ever done that in any game.
Forward line wasn’t the issue yesterday, barely got in there with any purpose imo. It’s midfield we have to improve as that was easily the difference yesterday between the two sides

Forward line wasn’t the issue yesterday, barely got in there with any purpose imo. It’s midfield we have to improve as that was easily the difference yesterday between the two sides
I agree. But as it is without Dusty and Bolton who were needed up on the ball, our forward line still lacks bite, especially after half time where we have kicked 6 goals in 3 weeks. Need to do something about that because Campbell and Mansell do not affect the scoreboard.

100%
Freo had 20 more inside 50’s yesterday but only 12 more scoring shots
Issue yesterday was definitely the midfield and we also wasted some really easy set shots and dropped a couple of sitters
Bolton’s in the first that bounced off his chest comes to mind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember his handball actually missed the target and it was with weight of numbers the goal was scored.

Anyway, you're right that there are forwards in the 1s who if you swapped with Cumberland, it wouldn't make much difference week to week. Hard to know what we are going to get with our 3 smalls at the moment ( generally not much at all, albeit with limited opportunities on the weekend).

I feel like I'm in the minority here by appreciating what Campbell and Mansell bring to the side. When we are doing well those two are elite. When we aren't their impact is limited. It's the Castagna effect all over again.

That being said, it is odd seeing Cumberland continue to be left out. Would offer more than McIntosh

I feel like I'm in the minority here by appreciating what Campbell and Mansell bring to the side. When we are doing well those two are elite. When we aren't their impact is limited. It's the Castagna effect all over again.

That being said, it is odd seeing Cumberland continue to be left out. Would offer more than McIntosh
Not on a wing he wouldn't. Perhaps Campbell could be trialled there. Think he would need a few VFL games in that possie first though.

Sorry elite? I think you've been numbed by how bad our small forwards have been over the last few years, because when your forwards don't get possession, mark the ball, tackle or kick goals, it's hard to think of them as elite.

Charlie Cameron kicked 59 goals last year, Stengle AA the year before, Weightman kicked 6 earlier this year. Jamie Elliot has been doing it for years.

Campbell has some nice traits, he isn't a small forward, nor is Mansell. And besides when have we played well this year besides St.Kilda.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember his handball actually missed the target and it was with weight of numbers the goal was scored.

Anyway, you're right that there are forwards in the 1s who if you swapped with Cumberland, it wouldn't make much difference week to week. Hard to know what we are going to get with our 3 smalls at the moment ( generally not much at all, albeit with limited opportunities on the weekend).
No the handball hit the target, could be thinking of another play.

Nothing surer he gets delisted when they play Kmac/Pickett forward instead
There is a lot of the season left ... Macca was sub ... we couldn't kick goals ... will his solitary goal mean he is selected as a full time forward ... it might just mean that Macca is showing that he should be a professional sub ...

Cumberland's average of over 6 tackles a game for the last month should have him selected over Campbell this week (who has had 1 tackle in total over his last 4 games)

They're not elite seriously T4P. I would delist Mansell as he's just an average foot soldier run of the mill role player.
Campbell is still young and has time to prove me wrong that he'll be a B grader at best. Elite is an overused and misused word around these traps so it should be used sparingly until more information is witnessed on players.

There is a lot of the season left ... Macca was sub ... we couldn't kick goals ... will his solitary goal mean he is selected as a full time forward ... it might just mean that Macca is showing that he should be a professional sub ...

Cumberland's average of over 6 tackles a game for the last month should have him selected over Campbell this week (who has had 1 tackle in total over his last 4 games)
Exactly he’s crushing defensively and getting a ton of opportunities offensively too

Way more than Mansell and Campbell have been..
Time for a change, Cumbo’s time

Weve kicked just 11 goals in the last 2 games of footy and conceded 29. Or in another way, have percentage of 48.4%.

We have nothing to lose by playing him. He hits the scoreboard unlike most, and even if there are questions over him conceding defensively, it's not like anyone else currently in the team bloody isn't.

FFS wake up.

I agree with your post but i believe you're in the wrong place, can you please edit your post to "Cumbo, doesnt chase, doesnt offer anything defensively, the coaches know best, he is a headcase "etc.

EDIT, this post is sarcasm.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back