Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - has signed a 4 year contract extension to the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Xerri’s current statistical form is akin to Jy winning the BnF in years he butchered the footy and we were woeful.

He is not up to standard.
But he is all we have due to Snoz' list building prowess...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Damn there are a lot of harsh people in here.

He isn't on big money, he's continually improving and he's a North lad. Personally I'd have gone for 3 but there isn't a big supply of quality rucks out there. Of course the synergy needs to improve with the midfielders but it's all pretty new isn't it?! It's not going to click over night.

If history has shown us anything it's that a 2M+ ruck will be kept in the system until they retire. It's how Preuss, Soldo, Stanley, Pittonet, Cox, Darcy Cameron, Naismith, Tom Campbell, Ladhams and co. are all still running around. s**t even Phillips was still on an AFL list until last year. So it's one less thing to worry about while Goad develops.

I just hope he can stay injury free for an extended period.

Last edited:

Good luck to him....to go from walking out to this...obviously worked his butt off....Until Goad kicks on..and that's awhile l understand the length....best wishes for him and hopefully continues to improve.

Yeah it's 4 years. But that doesn't mean he's on big coin. Could be 25k a season for the last 3 for all we know.

If it's a mutually beneficial deal for both club and player then the 4 yrs is less of an issue, and much lower risk than it appears on the surface. I seriously doubt he's on close to the coin Goldstein was. So we've wrapped up an option for a couple of years while the kids develop.

Just a tad!

The wraps on Goad are huge - so assuming he's ready to roll in second half of 25 or 26 - that leaves us playing them both or X playing his last 4 years in the VFL.

Even if all that's speculative, still no reason to add 4 years. No other Club would.

There's a pattern at the Club handing out marquee length contracts to non marquee players.

Incorrect, those non-marquee players are sometimes crucial to flags in that you don't always get them. With the top draftees, usually if you finish low enough and long enough, you get a bunch of bluechip players. But those top of the line support players, you can't get them that easily.

Xerri is not a goldstein or gawn in terms of pure ruck sills but he is like a luc lonly in that he is the best fit for the players we have. He is a very physical player who in years to come will be a very important pillar to build around as he gets better with his skills. Watch out when he gets to around 80 games.

Good luck to him....to go from walking out to this...obviously worked his butt off....Until Goad kicks on..and that's awhile l understand the length....best wishes for him and hopefully continues to improve.

With ruck, you have to pay them ahead of time.

I don’t mind X and have been supportive of his effort and desire to impact the contest this year but * me a 4 year deal is excessive for a bloke who hasn’t really played a FULL season of decent senior footy.

Players managers must lick their lips when Brady shows interest in a player or needs to extend one of his own. Eaaaassssy money.

Christ we’ve gone early. Big improver and shows promise but 4 years seems unnecessary given he isn’t OOC and hasn’t played a full season as solo ruck.

We love to hand out extra years to unproven battlers based off good form. Luke Mcdonald still has 2 years left ffs.
The only one that comes close to being a Shinboner along with Sheezel .
Deserves 10 years on his efforts & attitude alone .

Christ we’ve gone early. Big improver and shows promise but 4 years seems unnecessary given he isn’t OOC and hasn’t played a full season as solo ruck.

We love to hand out extra years to unproven battlers based off good form. Luke Mcdonald still has 2 years left ffs.

His worth is more than stats alone. He is a very physical player just like mumford at gws.

l watched Goat today and he's at least 3 years away..he's not showing the enthusiasm needed to progress any further at the moment. Loves to ball watch and doesnt get involved unless its in his area and only runs at a slow pace...A lot of improvement is needed..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

l watched Goat today and he's at least 3 years away..he's not showing the enthusiasm needed to progress any further at the moment. Loves to ball watch and doesnt get involved unless its in his area and only runs at a slow pace...A lot of improvement is needed..
You talking about Jacob Edwards or Taylor Goad?

I like it. There is some risk in the length of the contract but I think it is a good risk to take. Other than injury I don't think that there is too much that can go wrong here. He has shown enough to be fairly confident that he'll be one of the top dozen rucks in the comp for the length of that contract. Whilst obviously I don't know what we are paying him, X is highly likely to go up in value and we are getting him cheap.

Pay the blokes having a crack. Use some of the cap space this year that Zurhaar and LDU don’t want to take as part of a new contract. And we have someone driving exceptional standards and has a big body and presence driving this 25 year old group. The other two should take a *ing leaf.

Damn there are a lot of harsh people in here.

He isn't on big money, he's continually improving and he's a North lad. Personally I'd have gone for 3 but there isn't a big supply of quality rucks out there. Of course the synergy needs to improve with the midfielders but it's all pretty new isn't it?! It's not going to click over night.

If history has shown us anything it's that a 2M+ ruck will be kept in the system until they retire. It's how Preuss, Soldo, Stanley, Pittonet, Cox, Darcy Cameron, Naismith, Tom Campbell, Ladhams and co. are all still running around. s**t even Phillips was still on an AFL list until last year. So it's one less thing to worry about while Goad develops.

I just hope he can stay injury free for an extended period.
Sort of the way i see it. Saves is shopping for a soup type of Goad does become first option.

We have many things to worry about. X and this deal are at the lower end of the scale.
He's the clear number 1 ruck for the next couple of years at least, while we assess Goad's development.
If he gets supplanted, then that's no big deal. We either have an experienced, ready to go back up. Or competent ruckmen always have decent trade value.
And he is competent, in that he can hold his own against most ruckmen in the league. Still has things to work on of course, but suffers in the comparison of following a champion of the club.

I find it telling that the other players are usually all over the gram congratulating thier boy on a contract extension but from what I see not one player had said congratulations to X. Very unusual.

well, he's the only ruck we have so...

Players signed until 2029, league wide

Soligo
Rachele
Curnow
Payne
Hipwood
Quaynor
N.Daicos
B.McKay
Jackson
Amiss
W.Powell
Himmelberg
J.Kelly
Petracca
Van Rooyen
Simpkin
Larkey
Xerri
T.Marshall
Hopper
Taranto
Mills

Until 2030

H.McKay
J.Daicos
B.Cox
Se.Darcy
Oliver
Sheezel

Until 2031

Blakey

Until 2032

Rozee
Naughton

Players signed until 2029, league wide

Soligo
Rachele
Curnow
Payne
Hipwood
Quaynor
N.Daicos
B.McKay
Jackson
Amiss
W.Powell
Himmelberg
J.Kelly
Petracca
Van Rooyen
Simpkin
Larkey
Xerri
T.Marshall
Hopper
Taranto
Mills

Until 2030

H.McKay
J.Daicos
B.Cox
Se.Darcy
Oliver
Sheezel

Until 2031

Blakey

Until 2032

Rozee
Naughton
Simpkin is the worst contract on that list at present.

Sean Darcy to 2030 looking dicey with Jackson looking ready to be the lone wolf and Oliver if he can't get it together.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The below are the only rucks in the league with a worse hitout to advantage % than Xerri:
Bris-40.png
Oscar McInerney
WC-40.png
Bailey J. Williams
Geel-40.png
Toby Conway
Haw-40.png
Ned Reeves
Bris-40.png
Darcy Fort
Rich-40.png
Samson Ryan