Toast What are your memories of the 4 Premierships?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With Grand Final week coming up, I thought it would be great to reminisce on the four flags and share people’s stories of the great days. (I’ll post short clips below to refresh a few minds)

I have only been alive for 96 and 99 but remember 99 fondly. Remember watching at home with the family and as soon as McKernan kicked those two towering goals in the second term, I thought we were home. What a great day! It just seems so long ago that we were at the big dance but the buzz and the excitement is just something else. I also remember having a huge boxing kangaroo poster on our front gate and walking down Errol St and seeing all the shops having kangaroos posters and streamers on the windows. Looking back at the old games, it would have been something else to witness the first premiership in 1975!

Share your memories or any interesting stories you have of the four flags!!!

75…too young to remember

77…two GFs in two weekends, in colour and live. I was 9. The Draw was shocking on the final siren but the next week was awesome.

96…probably the favourite. Sat at top of Sth Stand.

99…relief more than anything after 98. Nearly sat in same position. Queued for 6 hours to get a ticket. Relief after 98 and an inkling we would not be back for a few years. My parents fluked tickets as well so in some way it was nice for them to be there having driven me up and back to games in the 70’s

…..24 years later. It is now a longer gap between 77 and 96 which I thought was a long time.

75, I remember my dad hit his head on the concrete above his head when he jumped up when the final siren. We went back to Arden Street that night , remember the players on the back ofcthe semi, also remember a few people asleep on the ground- I ask my dad why , he said they were tired ( I was 9)
77. Doing up my dads car with blue and white ribbons. The cheer squad giving out blue and white flags to wave.
96. Thinking disappointment early, then happiness. Had a water bottle full of bourbon so was very emotional at games end
99 never in doubt

Ooh I love these chances to look back at the glory days!

I don't remember '75; but definitely remember the two grand finals in '77. We lived in a small country town and one of my mum's friends barracked for Collingwood and came around to watch both games as she didn't have a TV. I remember she was stress-clutching her head and smoking incessantly (inside; as was my mum, as was the style of the time). I remember being glad that North won but it's still kind of vague. I was lucky enough to be at 96 and 99. 96 was special, though I took it as a terrible omen when the mannequin of Carey collapsed pre-game. Freeborn was brilliant in the second quarter, I think at that stage I thought, we might win this... And McKernan's massive knock-on to get the ball forward... "And here comes North Melbourne!"

I was at the loss in 98, and it's possibly one of my worst footy memories. Apart from Muhammad Ali's pre-game lap, the day was a shocker, even though we were up at half time. I sat through the entire thing high up in the stands. I had a Richmond supporter next to me who booed and heckled Carey the whole game but then would say 'Go North!'.

99 was great, we'd had a fabulous year that year and deserved it - we'd come over the top of teams in the third or fourth quarter regularly and you'd just know we'd win.

Despite what the narrative became - that Essendon were clearly the better team of the year. Get stuffed haha.

Would have loved those years turn into an even more wonderful golden era for North, to have won three.

8.22, the stuff of nightmares. Hopefully we rise again soon.

Mate I was there for all of them the first was obviously the best the last quarter goal after goal never thought I would see us win one let alone four. Back at Arden st after the game absolutely pissed down rain but no one cared players were presented on the back of a truck I will never forget.
Yeah, I rewatched the Barassi documentary this week, absolutely loved those scenes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

75 and 77 I was alive but living in Sydney so oblivious to the whole thing.

96 I watched on TV - I remember doing ironing to distract myself and not get stressed.

99 I was with my now partner who (unlike my ex) was and is very into footy. I planned to watch it on tv again, assuming tickets would be impossible to get for normal members - as the media convinces you they are - but she insisted on driving to the MCG queue to check out the reality. I got there just as the people queuing were being given numbered cards to go home to sleep, so went back in the morning and got a seat near the fence in the forward 50, just around from our cheer squad. It was great. Wore my long sleeved jumper with a new 35 on the back and that was our winning margin.

I’ve said on here before that coming to footy late and following North only since the early 90s, I got to see wonders I hadn’t really earned and appreciated the way I will next time.

Also having married into Collingwood for the past 25 years I’ve picked up a lot of useful information about getting into grand finals and enjoying the whole week. Doing it again now for my partner and our son, and really looking forward to roles being reversed some day.

I was 14 in 96 and barely missed a game that year. One of my older cousins camped in the lineup (can’t remember where) to get us tickets. He was pretty far back in the queue though and the story goes that when he got to the the booth the person in front of him bought all the tickets they had. He rang me from a phone both and was shattered.

Then my uncle picked him up and on the way home he drove past the jam factory and noticed there was only a couple of people waiting there, so he chanced it, waited 15 minutes and got 4 tickets, 3 rows back, centre wing. Couldn’t believe our luck when I found out.

The Grand final was a beautiful sunny mild day. We got there early and there were people everywhere, everyone happy. There’s nothing like walking to the MCG on grand final day. Never felt anything like it before or since.

We watched our reserves beat Essendon, there was a kid in the row in font of us wearing a bombers jumper, when it was clear the bombers were getting done, he took the jumper off and had a North jumper underneath, I’ll never forget that. We had a laugh with his dad about it.

I only remember bits and pieces of the actual game. I remember how brave Laidly and Archer were dropping back in the hole in front of plugger, I thought he was going to get one of them eventually but never did. People who watched plugger play know how brave that was, he would have tried to kill them if he got the chance, literally.

I remember the players doing the victory lap and McKernan was hobbling on one leg, he threw his hat towards us, a bloke near us got it and showed us that there was blood in it “LOOK AT THIS! It’s got his blood in it” he shouted absolutely wrapped about it.

An old lady behind me grabbed me on the shoulder and said “take it all in love, you might never see another one”. At 14 I thought she was crazy because all I knew was that Carey led side and because of that I was sure we’d win more, didn’t know how close to the truth she was though.

We went back to Arden Street, don’t remember much of that, except wanting to go home after a few hours because I was knackerd and all the drunk people were annoying.

99 I watched on the telly at my parents house and it was never in doubt. Carlton didn’t have a chance. I was annoyed that they beat Essesdon because I wanted North to beat the bombers in the granny. There was one loud mouth Carlton supporter at my parents house who was going on and on about how good Carlton were and that they’d win, my uncle pulled out a roll of cash, put it in the table and made him bet on it. Half way through the last quarter he told him to go to an atm and get him his money, he left but didn’t come back.

Too young to remember 1975 or 1977. My first footy memory is the 1978 Grand Final. Six-year-old me watched on TV and thought the balloons being released was awesome. Not sure how many sea-birds died because of it but I loved it. Lost interest in the game quickly though and went outside. Came back later to find out we'd lost. Cried even though I hadn't invested much into it.

1996. Consumed my whole week. Friends went straight from the MCG after beating Brisbane to holding our place in the line outside Bass Tickets at Myer Frankston. I got down there first thing Sunday morning, left mid-afternoon, but was back to do the Sunday overnight shift and we were all there when Myer opened on Monday morning. Went to all the training sessions, the parade, everything. I'd heard the story of Dermott Brereton getting so nervous before Grand Finals that he's go up to Oliver's Hill on the Friday night and just look out over the bay to relax. I was pretty nervous too so I did the same thing. Didn't help much. Got to the G around 3/4 time of the Reserves - which we won by 104 points v Essendon. Sat near the back of Level 1 behind the goals at the Punt Rd end. Was too nervous to watch any of the pre-game stuff. The match itself was a bit of a blur. Rick, a mate of mine, gave up on us early in the second quarter and disappeared until late in the third quarter. No idea where he went. When Rocky kicked a goal early in the last I shouted "We're the Premiers!!" and the rest of the game was just fun. Went to Arden Street after the game. Had a ball but was much more low-key than I expected - the players only kind of passed through quickly. I didn't drink much so I kept pretty tidy! The next day at Arden Street was just pure joy.

1999. The opposite. As a creature of habit my week in 1998 was much the same as 1996 except we lost. I was supremely confident we'd win. Had been going out with the now Mrs.Marstermind for a few weeks and was going to the footy with a new friend. She volunteered to get our tickets so I could spend the week at Lorne with Mrs.MM. Not sure where she queued or for how long, she just got the tickets. Being away all week, I didn't go to training or the parade, or Oliver's Hill. Totally calm with it all. Came back from Lorne on the Saturday morning, got to the game later - in almost the same seats as 1996. Never that nervous at any stage. Still did the "We're the Premiers!" shout but much earlier - Grant's goal in the third quarter. After the game Mrs.MM and I went to the official function at Crowne Plaza (?) and all the players and officials were there. We decided to get the menu signed by Denis and the premiership players. Bit awkward when we asked some players to sign who were standing with Jason McCartney. Had about 3 more signatures to get when we got up for a dance, got back to the table and some a-hole had taken the menu. Mrs.MM was all footied out on the Sunday (never a big footy fan, and it later transpired she followed Carlton until she met me) so I went to Arden St with the friend who got the tickets. Felt like we'd always have a great team.

The next one will be the best one - I'll get to share it with my kids who have never known what it is like to have a great team.

Last edited:
I’m going to show my age here.

75: I was to young to remember.
77: I was 8 years old and pretty annoyed that my parents together with my Aunt & Uncle all went and left the kiddies with the grandparents to watch it on TV - TWO weeks in a row.

96: The best day I’ve ever had at the footy. We had tickets in the Ponsford Stand and had so much fun with the people surrounding us. I knew we had it won when Freeborn was on fire in the 2nd Qtr.

My step mother booked the once in a lifetime overseas trip for my Dad and her kids for the whole of September and stuffed the dates up - they arrived back on the day after the GF. The old man was pretty annoyed though.

99: I was wrapt we won, but didn’t have the same vibe as 96.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

75 - Too young

77 - Vague memories of watching both games on TV as a 6 year old. Distinctly remember the final siren of the drawn GF.

96 - Watched it at a mates house. Freeborn kicking those goals. Ron Casey's tears. Going to the pub shitfaced in my North jumper with 18 on the back. Woke up the next afternoon to a grumpy missus who informed me that I had pissed on my North jumper (and other clothes) on the floor beside the bed during the night.

99 - Got standing room tickets with 2 mates. Left home at 6.00, got at the ground at 9.30 and soaked in the atmosphere. Game was never in doubt.

75 and 77 I was alive but living in Sydney so oblivious to the whole thing.

96 I watched on TV - I remember doing ironing to distract myself and not get stressed.

99 I was with my now partner who (unlike my ex) was and is very into footy. I planned to watch it on tv again, assuming tickets would be impossible to get for normal members - as the media convinces you they are - but she insisted on driving to the MCG queue to check out the reality. I got there just as the people queuing were being given numbered cards to go home to sleep, so went back in the morning and got a seat near the fence in the forward 50, just around from our cheer squad. It was great. Wore my long sleeved jumper with a new 35 on the back and that was our winning margin.

I’ve said on here before that coming to footy late and following North only since the early 90s, I got to see wonders I hadn’t really earned and appreciated the way I will next time.

Also having married into Collingwood for the past 25 years I’ve picked up a lot of useful information about getting into grand finals and enjoying the whole week. Doing it again now for my partner and our son, and really looking forward to roles being reversed some day.
I queued at the G for tickets in '96 for hours, trying to stay off camera as I'd pulled a sicky.. Driving home I went past Bass at Shopping town, thought I call in to see if I could pick up any tickets by fluke...sure enough, no queue, got to the counter..."sure mate, how many do you want?"!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I queued at the G for tickets in '96 for hours, trying to stay off camera as I'd pulled a sicky.. Driving home I went past Bass at Shopping town, thought I call in to see if I could pick up any tickets by fluke...sure enough, no queue, got to the counter..."sure mate, how many do you want?"!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

'96 Bass in Myer City. 3rd in the queue and had 2 adult tickets by 9.08 a.m.
$69 each iirc !

How much now ?

‘96, sat at the top of the southern stand with 2 mates, drank them out of beer by 3/4 time. Sang the theme song about 200 times at the end and was so hoarse. Ended up wearing my north scarf in to various nightclubs and getting harassed by bouncers to take it off. One of the best days of my life.
‘99, living in the US and managed to get a bar to stay open for us until the wee hours and had the entire place barracking for North. Not as good as being there so hopefully that opportunity comes again.

1975 : sitting in the top deck of the Olymoic statd and listening to 1 elderly guy say to his mate" we've got it" his mate saying not till the final siren will l belive it". On hearing the siren both were crying with the latter one saying l can now die peacefully..

1977: Driving out of the Hilton hotel car park in my VW beetle and being swamped by Pies supporters. My mate winds the window down and yells out " thats another one you guys lost" where upon Pies supporters circled the car...l thought we were dead...Those closer to the car then said "well done you deserved it" and walked off...Death avoided...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back