Past #39: Eric Wallace - released by the Carolina Panthers

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats to the big bloke for having a crack at such a foreign game at the expense of his basketball ambitions. Good luck Beast and I hope you've gained a lot from the experience which can assist you in other endeavours down the track. I haven't heard a bad word said about this bloke and his exceptional work ethic and attitude.

Congrats to the big bloke for having a crack at such a foreign game at the expense of his basketball ambitions. Good luck Beast and I hope you've gained a lot from the experience which can assist you in other endeavours down the track. I haven't heard a bad word said about this bloke and his exceptional work ethic and attitude.

Hear, hear T.T !

A great learning experience all round you feel. Would have been a valuable development tool for the players having such a large opponent to contend with, he was a dedicated trainer which is excellent for a squad with a lot of kids and most importantly the coaching and support staff got more experience with international rookies. Conor Meredith & Beast left their own little marks on this club.

I've said this before, but in my opinion trying him as a ruck/forward was a bad call because those are two of the hardest positions to excel at.

He is big, he is strong, he is quick, he can jump... but isn't tall enough for modern ruckman.

He would have been ideal to develop into a key defender.

a) Hardest thing for people new to the game is reading the play, as a key defender, your opponent is going to lead you to the contest.

b) As a foreigner, kicking the ball fluently and under pressure is probably the hardest thing to acquire, a lot of key defenders aren't prolific ball winners and often just handball it off to designated kickers. IMO this would have been the easiest game plan to come ot terms with.

c) I think he had the leg speed at his peak weight to match the quickest leading forwards, if he stayed with a forward side on for touch and just gunned it on the lead I think he would have beat most key forwards to the ball.

d) I don't think any big forward would out-wrestled him.

I think if we are looking for ex-pats in the future, unless they are 210cm+ basketball giants and are on the young side, don't try to make them ruckmen. It can be a 5+ year development cycle.

If we look at someone like Eric in the future, it should be as a key defender.

I'd like to thank Eric for his time, he gave it a crack and he has been one of the pioneers in terms of AFL development in the USA. Before we recruited him I said it would be a success even if he didn't play any games because we will learn a lot of valuable lessons on methods which worked and methods which didn't when it comes to bringing someone who hasn't seen AFL before up to speed.

His role at the club will have a significant contribution for USA/Australian AFL future development.

Just watched his farewell interview, what a level headed and positive dude. I'm sure he gave it his all and will find success wherever he ends up. Super proud to have had the beast at NM... Good karma your way my friend you were born to succeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That video was difficult viewing. So gutted for him.
Same. I'm actually quite disappointed that it's ended, and so abruptly.

At the very least, surely a VFL club would be interested in him. A VFL wage might not be enough to sustain a decent living for him, and he wouldn't be playing at the highest level, but it might the second chance he needs to get on another AFL list. Assuming no other club takes him this draft period.

I can't see too many full forwards making him look like their bunny during one on one efforts

I've said this before, but in my opinion trying him as a ruck/forward was a bad call because those are two of the hardest positions to excel at.

He is big, he is strong, he is quick, he can jump... but isn't tall enough for modern ruckman.

He would have been ideal to develop into a key defender.

a) Hardest thing for people new to the game is reading the play, as a key defender, your opponent is going to lead you to the contest.

b) As a foreigner, kicking the ball fluently and under pressure is probably the hardest thing to acquire, a lot of key defenders aren't prolific ball winners and often just handball it off to designated kickers. IMO this would have been the easiest game plan to come ot terms with.

c) I think he had the leg speed at his peak weight to match the quickest leading forwards, if he stayed with a forward side on for touch and just gunned it on the lead I think he would have beat most key forwards to the ball.

d) I don't think any big forward would out-wrestled him.

I think if we are looking for ex-pats in the future, unless they are 210cm+ basketball giants and are on the young side, don't try to make them ruckmen. It can be a 5+ year development cycle.

If we look at someone like Eric in the future, it should be as a key defender.

I'd like to thank Eric for his time, he gave it a crack and he has been one of the pioneers in terms of AFL development in the USA. Before we recruited him I said it would be a success even if he didn't play any games because we will learn a lot of valuable lessons on methods which worked and methods which didn't when it comes to bringing someone who hasn't seen AFL before up to speed.

His role at the club will have a significant contribution for USA/Australian AFL future development.

Modern defenders DO have to read the play, and DO have to be very good field kicks and elite decision makers. Just ask Luke Delaney.

Modern defenders DO have to read the play, and DO have to be very good field kicks and elite decision makers. Just ask Luke Delaney.

Defenders do, full back not so much. Thompson and Hansen struggle to hit that lose defender 15-20m away at times, Tarrant is probably the best kick of our key defenders and I wouldn't call him reliable under pressure. Handballing is relatively easy to learn and master compared to kicking.

Defenders do, full back not so much. Thompson and Hansen struggle to hit that lose defender 15-20m away at times, Tarrant is probably the best kick of our key defenders and I wouldn't call him reliable under pressure. Handballing is relatively easy to learn and master compared to kicking.
Hansen definitely struggles with it, I agree. But that is why his position in the side has to be under threat IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back