#3 - Riley Knight

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Riley and have watched him for a couple of years.
To give you an idea of what he is like - he is the most professional and determined footballer you would meet. He will put 100% in to everything.
He plays like that on the ground as well. Fierce competitor, he refuses to be beaten. He is incredibly fit and would have been top 3 in beep test had he been fit to test. He has speed (burst type) and can play inside (very good clearance player) and outside - played a high forward flank role for State U18 team. He is also one of the most fierce tacklers you will see.
He played limited matches with the Eagles U18's as he was playing in the State team, is a boarder at St. Peter's College and had a knee injury (cartlidge).
To give you an idea of Riley's character - Riley was told to have the knee operation in the lead up to the St. Peter's V PAC match at the end of the school season (a BIG match). On the Tuesday night it looked like he wouldn't play.
Riley chose to delay the operation a week and played the match. He was outstanding, kicked the match sealer and with Mitch Harvey (now at Port) led Saints to a shock win.

I'm absolutely thrilled Riley is at the Crows. In terms of who he plays most like? I would say Rory Sloane - gut runner and refuses to be beaten one on one.

Hope that helps!

Great write up DJ75

I rate him highly.

He is going to be a very good player for us.

He will do the right things at the right time.

This is an excellent pick. He is no Claude the crow.

Great write up DJ75

I rate him highly.

He is going to be a very good player for us.

He will do the right things at the right time.

This is an excellent pick. He is no Claude the crow.

I'm glad to hear you and Thunder give this kid your collective tick of approval, as when clubs instantly start talking about "beep-test" and "attitude" as their strengths, I worry that they're just useless footballers. Immediately read as a bit vanilla and perhaps a second coming of van Berlo, but certainly sounds like a reasonable prospect.

To give you an idea of what he is like - he is the most professional and determined footballer you would meet. He will put 100% in to everything.
He plays like that on the ground as well. Fierce competitor, he refuses to be beaten. He is incredibly fit and would have been top 3 in beep test had he been fit to test. He has speed (burst type) and can play inside (very good clearance player) and outside - played a high forward flank role for State U18 team. He is also one of the most fierce tacklers you will see.
He played limited matches with the Eagles U18's as he was playing in the State team, is a boarder at St. Peter's College and had a knee injury (cartlidge).
To give you an idea of Riley's character - Riley was told to have the knee operation in the lead up to the St. Peter's V PAC match at the end of the school season (a BIG match). On the Tuesday night it looked like he wouldn't play.
Riley chose to delay the operation a week and played the match. He was outstanding, kicked the match sealer and with Mitch Harvey (now at Port) led Saints to a shock win.

I'm absolutely thrilled Riley is at the Crows. In terms of who he plays most like? I would say Rory Sloane - gut runner and refuses to be beaten one on one.

Hope that helps!

I read the first few lines of this, and immediately thought 'Rory Sloane'. This fills me with confidence.

I like the highlights of Riley and am surprised that he wasn't mentioned by people in the lead up to the draft. I will have to rewatch the U18 championship matches and keep an eye on him. Welcome to the AFC young man.

For those wondering what has happened to Riley in the pre-season and why you haven't seen much of him, here it is;
Riley has suffered two bouts of tonsillitis this year. He was meant to play in the Port NAB game, but was sick that week. He also recently had a two week stretch where he was largely bed ridden and unable to train. He was given approval to play on the Thursday before the trial against Sturt. He wanted to play a full game, but the club held him back and only allowed him to play a half.
Hopefully he is over it now and can build up some fitness. I expect him to start the SANFL season a little slowly, but soon to come on well. He will play HFF/Wing and perhaps some bursts on ball.

Hopefully he plays in the trial this week.

From what I've heard about him, he seems like the sort of player we should be fast-tracking. He seems to possess a few of the skills we are lacking (i.e. kicking ability, speed, two way running).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The knock on Knight was that he was talented but lazy. Supposedly he knuckled down and started working hard.

Now it's time to start seeing some reward. He should start to dominate SANFL games by the end of the year if all is going right.
Stabby, I have enormous respect for what you write, but I don't know where you got that from. It is completely false. In fact the opposite is true.
Riley isn't the most talented player, but his work ethic and professionalism are outstanding. Maybe it is Battersby you are thinking of?

Stabby, I have enormous respect for what you write, but I don't know where you got that from. It is completely false. In fact the opposite is true.
Riley isn't the most talented player, but his work ethic and professionalism are outstanding. Maybe it is Battersby you are thinking of?

My mistake - I'm thinking Rory Atkins. Both have R's and K's and, yeah. Whoops :oops: That's what I get for trying to post in between tasks at work!

Apologies to Riley.

Hope that helps!

Just thought I should bump this! Don't think I was too far off the mark here...although he has changed his game and rather than his natural 'dive in' instinct, he has worked on being more outside and keeping his feet etc...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back