Player Watch #43: Todd Elton

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a big call The Roar Is Back . I really rate Astbury. He's really rated by the coaches. Elton has not played as many games (at the highest level) & performed as consistently. It's not that I don't rate him. At this stage he doesn't have the runs on the board like David....
But I'm certainly open & hoping Elton becomes as good as David. That would just be amazingly awesome for the RFC....
This time last year many had Astbury gone and wanted Thomas 12 months is along time and unfortunately Astbury hasn't had a great run of it .

Anyone know if Truck spends a lot of time with this kid?
Stole the post from me!
When we got Truck to coach the backs, Elton was the first player I thought of. Saw him up close in a couple of games last year and thought he'd become huge. The monster tall to combat the taller forwards that are becoming more prevalent. I hope Truck takes him under his wing as he is yet another piece that has been missing from the Richmond puzzle.

Early days but you'd say Newman, possibly Foley, one of Lloyd/Gordon, McIntosh if he doesn't show something and Dea
axel, newy would be locks.
Gordon does lack quality but has size and has a good engine. hopefully can add a few strings to his bow.
Lloyd does look a more natural forward but needs to be more accountable.
Both of them need to improve this year. To save their spots.
Butters could overtake them both in the pecking order
The backline is our strength now and with Lennon, Bachelor being primed for the rebound defender, Dea may not get a look-in.
Hopefully can see more of McIntosh this year.
We will need to turnover at least 6 players. At this stage would be all the blokes mentioned and I would add TV as trade bait.

Gordon does lack quality but has size and has a good engine. hopefully can add a few strings to his bow.
The backline is our strength now and with Lennon, Bachelor being primed for the rebound defender, Dea may not get a look-in.
We will need to turnover at least 6 players. At this stage would be all the blokes mentioned and I would add TV as trade bait.

Matt Dea is Gone !!

Drafted in 2009 - FFS How many 186cm players only play 31 games in 6 years (specially considering he came to the club with almost the same build as he has now)

Hasnt got it.

Newman
Foley
Dea
Knights (he played ok but only 1 injury away from gonski)
McIntosh

These players are the ones with their heads on the chopping block

Matt Dea is Gone !!

Drafted in 2009 - FFS How many 186cm players only play 31 games in 6 years (specially considering he came to the club with almost the same build as he has now)

Hasnt got it.

Newman
Foley
Dea
Knights (he played ok but only 1 injury away from gonski)
McIntosh

These players are the ones with their heads on the chopping block
Chris Knights could be contracted to 2016. Does look a level above Gordon for the half forward spot, provided he can stay on the park.

Hey theflea , I could probably excuse you repeating someone else's post on the basis you didn't see , but when you like it and then still post it just shows your a follower who can't think for themselves .;):p:D
I guess I should have clarified by saying a player who doesn't suffer ongoing injury concerns . Although I would also suggest Elton would do better on taller opponents compared to Astbury .
haha I post on a first come basis!! As to height wise, Astbury is 20mm shorter and is good enough on the big talls imo.

Why 6?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least 6. Would expect 1 or more FAs, 3 or more draftees plus at least 2 elevated rookies.
Elevated rookies can be used in place of the 3 draftees minimum, I'd still only expect 1 rookie elevation at the most, if any.
Our list is not at the stage where we need mass turnover, unless we rate the draft depth very highly

Elevated rookies can be used in place of the 3 draftees minimum, I'd still only expect 1 rookie elevation at the most, if any.
Our list is not at the stage where we need mass turnover, unless we rate the draft depth very highly
Lots of variables but I still stand as 6 being the minimum numbers of players being cut.
  • In the last few years our rookie picks have been more dispensible. We have picked blokes to fill holes, Therefore there has being only 2 elevations in the last 3 seasons.
  • The quality of our rookies we took in the 2014 looks strong as last years draft was super deep. I would expect at least 2 of (Short, Castagna, Arnott and Lambert) to knocking on the door for elevation.
  • We would also need to make space for trades / free agents and the picks in the NAB Draft. 2015 looks a strong year for available free agents (Dangerfield) and Trade targets (Shiel, WHE)
  • I have heard this years draft crop is also strong, so would expect a minimum of 3 picks (of course this depends on trading picks for out of contract players)
  • The hard decisions would then be made on the player on our list versus the draftees. Could be a decision based do we keep a player like Lloyd/Gordon/McIntosh or go with pick 4.
The average has been 5 in the last 3 years.
Last few years:
2014 (-6) 4 delistings /2 retirements
(+7) 5 draftees and 1 elevated rookie plus 1 Delisted Free Agent
2013 (-5) 3 delistings /1 retirement /1 FA trade
(+5) Lennon, Gordon. Lloyd/ I traded (Hammer) / 1 Elevated (Ricky Petterd)
2012 (-4)
(+4) Vlas, McIntosh, McBean, Madonna

Last edited:
It was a single pre-season game. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I thought he was good, but let's see him back it up.

He was good in the same role at VFL level late last year though so it's not like this was completely out of the blue. Perhaps more a reminder to some (myself included) that he can actually play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back