Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Big boy.

You would hope that he tested well athletically. At 18 he sure has time on his side.

Not sure where he would play next year though. I can't imagine anyone could go from never playing to VFL in 9 months. Can't just hide someone that size in the team either.

Hopefully develops consistently enough for 3 or 4 years to we see him at AFL level.

Our game has gone to the absolute s**t if this works. Kids play footy from 4 years of age and yet someone walks into Nth Knights off the street and gets a game. ffs.
You reckon Hampson looks like a goose playing footy?

I would be pretty filthy if I was a 17/18 yo ruckman hoping to get drafted and then suddenly my spots handed to a guy who has never stepped foot on a footy field

Our game has gone to the absolute s**t if this works. Kids play footy from 4 years of age and yet someone walks into Nth Knights off the street and gets a game. ffs.
It's true.
If you are an elite runner and have balls your good chance.
If you are beast of a man at 18 and have balls your good chance.

He looks like an excellent pick up as a category B rookie. It is obviously going to take something like 4 years of good development for Ivan Soldo to be ready for AFL level but talls take years to mature anyway. Soldo already has height, weight and athleticism on his side. It is going to be interesting to see how he develops over the years and we will see if Richmond can turn him into an AFL footballer. Maric will be able to give some good advice and start to help him settle into the different training routines required. Time will tell the story for Ivan Soldo. I am wishing him the best of luck.

Yep. I reckon it's stupid. There are kids out there who have dreamt of playing AFL footy for their entire life and miss out. This bloke says "yeah, may as well give it a shot".

Is it that easy to get on a list now a days?

Good, you should always have atleast 1 project ruck on the rookie list. Realistically this kid is going to be a 3-5 year project but at 204cm, 106kg he is an absolute monster. Can't wait to see him hopefully get a run in the preseason games next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could someone please feel me in on how we can sign a rookie mid season?
I realise he wont be on our list until next season but how does this work?

Whats stopping Richmond signing Petracca or Wright as a rookie and then promoting them before the season starts?

Same as USA Cox rookie I guess for Collingwood.

I like he is 18, wish him the best but , she is all who ya know these days isn't it?

Although i didnt realise how easy it was to play AFL footy these days. Apparently all you need to do is send the club a photo of yourself.
Groupie_ you should send the club some photos of yourself. :oops:

They are chasing potential AFL players, not fat women who spend all day on here speaking s**t.

I
in Hampsons defense he did take the game up at 17, that is why he's so good around the ground and knows how to find a kick.

I would be pretty filthy if I was a 17/18 yo ruckman hoping to get drafted and then suddenly my spots handed to a guy who has never stepped foot on a footy field
Just thought the same thing just before I read your post, I suppose that kid can give Orren Stephenson a ring and see how to deal with it.

Who else opened this thread expecting a massive pisstake?
Sort of reminds me of when our players were running around at preseason training wearing blindfolds . That ended up summing up our season really well right then.

Can't complain with more competition for Hampson even if the kid
Has never played .

There is no pleasing some people, we get a Cat B rookie ruckman to develop for free and people still seem unhappy about it.

If it's any comparison Tom Downie (205cm 95kg) in 2011 switched from Basketball to AFL. After a few school games he played two games of TAC Cup for the Rebels, then a game in the "Young Guns" VFL/TAC exhibition match and was drafted that year at pick 56 to the Giants.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/tom-downie.869196/

It's a good move I think, I like that he has the family connection with Ivan so he's not coming into the club blind, he'll have an idea of what it takes and what club life will be like.

There is no pleasing some people, we get a Cat B rookie ruckman to develop for free and people still seem unhappy about it.

In fairness these people probably wanted a kid who has actually touched an onion before, not some dude who has never pulled on a pair of boots. Young Ivan may end up being an absolute bunny. TBH with our track record of developing players I would put money on it :D

In fairness these people probably wanted a kid who has actually touched an onion before, not some dude who has never pulled on a pair of boots. Young Ivan may end up being an absolute *******. TBH with our track record of developing players I would put money on it :D

If he'd played footy before we wouldn't have been able to rookie him in this way. So it's kind of a moot point.

If he played less than 5 games this year before we signed him for all we know he could shown enough to be a ND pick like Tom Downie.
Then he'd take up a spot on the list and money in the salary cap. This way he doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back