Past Matt Korcheck

Remove this Banner Ad

This one's been in the bank for a while, just reflects that we need to try and find some senior ruck competition when our #2 is Wood.

Points to whoever makes a golf joke instead of a dick joke.

I wonder if he likes to putt from the rough.

Damn, I succeeded and failed at the same time.:drunk:

Welcome to CFC Matt Korcheck.

Wow.... Super excited about this guy!
SOS has already started the rebuild with Matty Korcheck first cab off the rank....
In SOS we trust!

Welcome to the AFL Matt! :thumbsu:

Collingwood's American skyscraper is from Texas (Mason Cox).

As if Carlton v Collingwood didn't have enough 'edge' already, we could see Arizona v Texas in the ruck one day

Sadly, I'm an Arizona man :(

Any clues as to why he was picked over some other options? Other than his booming height what seemed to be the drawcard?

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but it was reported that he seemed to assert himself as the alpha male among all the guys who tried out whenever he took the field and that his coaches loved him, which would indicate a great attitude.

Is there any chance Phwoooarcheck could make it as a FF?

I know it's early days and it's a long shot he makes it all, but just wondering generally how easy / hard it would be to train a foreign athlete as a FF rather than ruck.

He has the body to turn into a cloke-esque leading / wrestling monster...

.... Heck, he's even got Cloke's kicking skill already!

I know it's early days and it's a long shot he makes it all, but just wondering generally how easy / hard it would be to train a foreign athlete as a FF rather than ruck.

Just comes down to marking above his head I guess.

It's surprising how many big dudes can seem so adept at just above everything else but are just as likely to eat a footy as mark it.

Sets the big guys apart I think. Jim Stynes didn't fly for many but he just plucked most things that came his way.

If Warnock could have taken the odd contested mark he'd have been a far more valuable player.

Just comes down to marking above his head I guess.

It's surprising how many big dudes can seem so adept at just above everything else but are just as likely to eat a footy as mark it.

Sets the big guys apart I think. Jim Stynes didn't fly for many but he just plucked most things that came his way.

If Warnock could have taken the odd contested mark he'd have been a far more valuable player.

Agree. Maybe the basketball background would help with the marking? There was talk that Mason Cox could become a FF at Coll rather than a ruckman.

Setanta was a pretty good mark IIRC. It's just what came next that was frightening.... I'm sure I recall watching him kick 5 big ones against Coll late in his career.

Imo, a good option to consider would be pure inside mid - basketball background = good peripheral vision + hand eye coordination. Forget the kicking skills - just teach him to bullock in, get ball and fire off by hand to advantage :)

I saw him learning to kick last week with Capuano, if he plays full forward he will have come a long, long way. We need to be very patient.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How has this guy been going in the VFL?
He's been getting a game and doing some things that suggest he could have a future. However, he has a LONG way to go. He manages to get his share of the taps, but hasn't mastered the idea of getting them to advantage yet. He gets between 5 and 10 possessions per game and can take a towering mark. His kicking for goal is terrible as yet. Think Casboult. But he is learning. When Wood and Gorringe went down against Casey, he more than held his own in the ruck. As #1 ruckman against Willi he was not as effective: he really struggled with the breezy conditions.
Mind you, we did lack a midfield against a team with a very strong midfield. But without a dominant display in the ruck our mids were not going to be effective enough to win it for us. As it turned out, they got smashed.

The club has let him go, according to the man himself: Time to change the thread tag.

Pity he never got a game in the big league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back