AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas - Late in vs Richmond - 25/5

Remove this Banner Ad

So HUN reporting around 8 weeks with a meniscus injury. Not great but not terrible.

Shiel missed 5 months with a meniscus tear in 2021, so 8 weeks is probably the lower end of what it could have been (so kinda lucky?)

8 weeks from Wednesdat puts us 1 day before round 1 starts. Will still probably see him this year but it just won't be until a couple of months in.
5 months for just meniscus ? didn’t he have a different procedure done to his knee

I think Shiel chose to have his sewn back so the recovery time greater than just having the torn portion removed.

Man I had my first meniscus tear at 12
Knee was screwed there after.
6 arthrescopes, 1 upper tibial osyeatemy and a full knee retirement later and at 53 finally pain free. I feel for the kid and hope out medical staff are all over this and make sure it is properly healed.
Yep something you don’t want getting wrong. Can lead to Devon smith like issues

Sad Baby GIF

We have had some absolutely rotten luck with our young top draft picks getting injuries.

Hopefully doesn't hold him back too much and does not bother him going forward.

Hey don't worry about the short term everyone! This 12 week knee injury is no big problem in the scheme of things!

The issue is really more the little change that the injured knee makes to his gait that then causes recurring soft tissue injuries that mean he can't get enough blocks of training in and then he plays VFL to build up fitness and then he gets sloppy from fatigue and then does an ACL or a serious shoulder or back injury and then experiences depression because he can't achieve his dreams and then retires without playing a senior game. That's kinda more what I'm worried about.

Hey don't worry about the short term everyone! This 12 week knee injury is no big problem in the scheme of things!

The issue is really more the little change that the injured knee makes to his gait that then causes recurring soft tissue injuries that mean he can't get enough blocks of training in and then he plays VFL to build up fitness and then he gets sloppy from fatigue and then does an ACL or a serious shoulder or back injury and then experiences depression because he can't achieve his dreams and then retires without playing a senior game. That's kinda more what I'm worried about.
this is a great snapshot of what this club does to us :p
about as hopeful as we can get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 months for just meniscus ? didn’t he have a different procedure done to his knee
Shiel’s was a meniscus tear but he had it repaired which takes longer to heal, instead of cutting away the damaged piece (which is what they usually would do) and getting back to play faster.

The cutting away would accelerate osteoarthritis and shortens his career though so there’s long term benefits in the slower recovery, which the club also has a vested interest in given he had a long term deal with lots to go at the time.

I don’t think it was 5 months for the meniscus repair by itself though, was long but not that long if everything went well, and as I recall he was almost on target to beat the initial prediction, but then he got another leg injury on the other leg when he was building up loads and made the recovery time a couple of weeks longer.

The fact he’s been sent for surgery says it’s not that minor of a tear either, as the most minor ones don’t need surgery and take 6-8 weeks to heal according to google. But whether it’s cutting out the damaged bit or trying to repair it like with Shiel, I don’t think we have enough information to know for sure.

They should take the safest, best long term option with him. Absolutely zero need to put his long term health/mobility at risk.

Not great news but two months will fly past. Just get him right before he is allowed back. Got a feeling the club will get him right and Tsatas can do what he was drafted to do.

So HUN reporting around 8 weeks with a meniscus injury. Not great but not terrible.

Shiel missed 5 months with a meniscus tear in 2021, so 8 weeks is probably the lower end of what it could have been (so kinda lucky?)

8 weeks from Wednesdat puts us 1 day before round 1 starts. Will still probably see him this year but it just won't be until a couple of months in.
From what I understand it can be between 2 weeks and 20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back