AFL Toast RND 5: Win Against The Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be very interesting to see how the Dogs go this year.

As I mentioned earlier, stop Bont & co they are very beatable. JUH is a gun but will he be able to resist the $$$. MCKay was very good on Norton.

TBH, not sure why they dropped Daniel, he always links well from the back.

Best game I have seen Caldwell play and Durham, left Bont in his wake which is no mean feat. Jones's form is a massive bonus. Davey made us look very dangerous too. Dursma an absolute bargain, tougher than I thought.

Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

The forward pressure and willingness to hunt down the dogs tonight was awesome to see.

Rapt the boys responded and hope that effort like tonight becomes the standard moving forwards.

Will be very interesting to see how the Dogs go this year.

As I mentioned earlier, stop Bont & co they are very beatable. JUH is a gun but will he be able to resist the $$$. MCKay was very good on Norton.

TBH, not sure why they dropped Daniel, he always links well from the back.

Best game I have seen Caldwell play and Durham, left Bont in his wake which is no mean feat. Jones's form is a massive bonus. Davey made us look very dangerous too. Dursma an absolute bargain, tougher than I thought.
i think it's bont specifically, he's such a smart player who uses the ball exceptionally well, and can make the direct opponent cost a number of goals. he had 12 in the first half and 5 in the second. he couldn't get any genuine uncontested possessions and they had no one reliable enough to use the ball entering into 50.

the other thing is that tim english was rucked out of the game by goldy. bulldogs rarely had first opportunity from ruck contests.

watching brad's presser now, i enjoy how starkly he's treating the win, making it out that it's just an extension of our previous week and what we did that improved. the acknowledgement of how caldwell and duz played too is extremely good too, as they've both been absolutely fantastic members of the team.

i can appreciate greatly how down to earth and realistic he is about how we're trucking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shoutout to ADJ who didn’t have a huge night numbers wise but provided plenty of speed and forward half pressure. We’ve been missing that since prime Walla.
Gotta keep playing him off that game. I had doubts but thought he made us look lively and unpredictable.

Could be a weapon once he picks up the pace of AFL, give him time to do that. Look at Cox & Jones off the back of more games.

Forward line had more genuine forwards this week with ADJ in the side. Everytime we get a couple injuries to mids we're forced to play better balanced side, is there something in that or am I off the mark?

Perkins can come in for Menzie and we rejig a little but I don't think Setterfield can come in for Davey after seeing that.

Great win but also a frustrating one. There has been a pattern for years where we build some form and slowly expectations rise….we get into a meaningful game and get flogged (last week)……expectations fall away and then we start to play better again.

Thought last year (early) we started to really narrow the gap between our best and worst, hopefully the Power game was a blip on the radar.

Lots of positives last night.
  • Cox was just solid
  • Jones is back to becoming the player we saw he could be on 2021
  • We had presence down the line with Jones and the 2nd ruck

And what about Sammy Durham??? That was as good a two way game from an Essendon mid as we have seen since…..I dunno when. Put the clamps on the best player in the game (or close enough to it) and won footy himself. He’s not just a kamikaze, effort guy either - some of his ball use and movement out of stoppages was top draw. Time to reassess his ceiling if he can continue to play at that level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back