VFL Past #54: Nick O'Brien - returning to play for Essendon VFL in 2017!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: National Draft Pick # 59 - Nick O'Brien

Plays taller than that too.
Great contested mark with some big man presence.
If he can grow an inch or two, will be a key position option.

That would be a great get if he can play KP.

Ok I'm over the disappointment of no Manson. This video tells me that he'll be popular amongst the other players quickly.

[youtube]jJE5MxkKrd4[/youtube]

I remember watching this episode lol. I think it made dicko's top of the list events of the year.

Obviously he will be nicknamed 'Moose', Hope he has an impact, can see the crowd chanting Moooooooooose. Big Fella's a unit.

Or the kicking ability :D:D

Seriously though, is great to see that small/tall forward who could potentially move into the midfield..

Thought that EFC would go 2 mids and project tall - we selected 2 mids and close to a project tall.

Thought that EFC would go 2 mids and project tall - we selected 2 mids and close to a project tall.

I actually li the pick of O'Brien, reminds me of a (better overhead version) of David Zaharakis..

Coincides with Zaka's transition to full time midfielder :thumbsu:

Actualy think I am most excited about O'Brien than Merret and Kavanagh (am fair excited about all three really)..

Another profile for him Jason Phelan AFL.com.au:

Nick O'Brien
Height:
188cm
Weight: 91kg
DOB: 26/6/93
Club: North Ballarat Rebels
Draft range: 40-60
O'Brien is a lead-up forward with a tank big enough to allow him repeated efforts. He took 32 marks in five games for Vic Country, but didn't hit the scoreboard as he would have liked. The Giants have got some giants inside forward 50, but O'Brien will bring something a bit different.
Watch Nick O'Brien in action

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126378/default.aspx

Loved that video. Really seems like a top bloke and natural leader. Certainly doesn't lack confidence.

Very happy with this pick.

Ok I'm over the disappointment of no Manson. This video tells me that he'll be popular amongst the other players quickly.

[youtube]jJE5MxkKrd4[/youtube]

Does anyone know the music for Dicko's segment?

Think he will be developed as a big bodied midfielder in the Ling mould.
Endurance and strength will be an asset, but lacks the pace to make it as a pure forward IMO. He is exactly the type of footballer the coaching panel would be after though, and I'm happy with this selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:D:D:D:D
Like it, gets my vote RIG..

Welcome NOB, hope we can find a spot for you to slot into...

I doubt NOB will be seeing much action next year. He could be in and out a fair bit until we find a suitable position for him.

HOLY F, That kid looks like Stevie Johnson.
Seems like a really happy, boisterous, intelligent young lad.
I am most excited about this guy, could turn out to be anything!
His work rate, leap and leadership will be welcomed with open arms.

Went to school with him, you have a jet here! Best quality is his work rate and his leadership abilitys.
Like the sound of that. Swuper!

Dodoro on SEN was pretty excited about this kids midfield potential. He may start in the forward or backline and then after a pre-season or two be moved to a tagging like role. Who knows.

But all these kids we just drafted need another pre-season before we should expect any sort of impact anyway. Jackson Merrett was only completing one training session per a week. Cannot expect much.

Boy we are going to be fast in 2013 - pieces of jigsaw coming together.

Dodoro on SEN was pretty excited about this kids midfield potential. He may start in the forward or backline and then after a pre-season or two be moved to a tagging like role. Who knows.

But all these kids we just drafted need another pre-season before we should expect any sort of impact anyway. Jackson Merrett was only completing one training session per a week. Cannot expect much.

Boy we are going to be fast in 2013 - pieces of jigsaw coming together.
Really? Hmm.
To me, that says, instant potential for improvement when he comes into the system. Add to that nice size, good tank, and (from all reports) a consistent & effective season @ TAC level, I think he's another solid pick.

Really? Hmm.
To me, that says, instant potential for improvement when he comes into the system. Add to that nice size, good tank, and (from all reports) a consistent & effective season @ TAC level, I think he's another solid pick.

exactly but needs 2 years to climatise, im sure this year will be a shock to the system and his body will tire and become fatigued before mid-season.

Im putting the Zahar stamp on him - 2 or 3 years before he matures into a very handy player for us with a more damaging kick.

They manage the work-load of the first years reasonably well, all of our first years this year ran out the season (either 1sts or 2nds) - touch wood.

Anyone with a more damaging kick than Zaha will be a fair player. Big call.

You only need Crumbers if you don't mark the ball ;)
Gumby, Crameri, Carlisle, Monfries and Hurley don't spill it often.
O'Brien looks like Jack Reiwoldt and Cameron Ling's love child!

You only need Crumbers if you don't mark the ball ;)
Gumby, Crameri, Carlisle, Monfries and Hurley don't spill it often.
O'Brien looks like Jack Reiwoldt and Cameron Ling's love child!
Also a bit of Steve Johnson in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back