VFL Past #54: Nick O'Brien - returning to play for Essendon VFL in 2017!

Remove this Banner Ad

That and tackling.

If he's going to be a treacle slow inside handball machine he's got to be a volume tackler, right now he's not even average
Ultimately there are two non-negotiables for the NOB to become a capable afl player imo. He needs to bulk up, and he needs a better, more attacking mindset. Both possible to occur, but the fact that he is nearing the end of his 4th season and these are both quite large issues still doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence. Good luck to him.

Where has this trash talk of "bulk up" come from?

Of all the young midfielders in the wings he was always the most physically ready to go at senior level

Still looks like a chubby baby compared to others his age, his frame is massive, it's just far from filled out. It really shows in his tackle numbers and the fact that port players walked straight through him on 3-4 occasions.

I don't think it's unfair to demand about 5 a week from him given he's almost exclusively a follower, but he's only had 5 twice in any game this year, and they're not the stickiest tackles either.

I disagree with most and think O'Brien needs to develop more of an outside game. His kicking to a target is reliable ( and I mean a forward half kicks to a leading target ). Maybe he could benefit from sprint training.

I disagree with most and think O'Brien needs to develop more of an outside game. His kicking to a target is reliable ( and I mean a forward half kicks to a leading target ). Maybe he could benefit from sprint training.

Surprisingly enough, power training is supposedly what he did in the last pre-season. There was less of a focus on endurance (which is why he wasn't finishing at or near the top of the time trials).

Reminds me of a guy I used to row with. Got it in his head that he needed to bulk up and ended up looking like a pregnant lady (still not quite sure how that happened and, now that I type it out, whether someone was pulling my leg).

Surprisingly enough, power training is supposedly what he did in the last pre-season. There was less of a focus on endurance (which is why he wasn't finishing at or near the top of the time trials).

Reminds me of a guy I used to row with. Got it in his head that he needed to bulk up and ended up looking like a pregnant lady (still not quite sure how that happened and, now that I type it out, whether someone was pulling my leg).
i think that bodybuilders in the 80s and 90s used to end up with weird distended bellys
not sure about the iron sheik though

i think that bodybuilders in the 80s and 90s used to end up with weird distended bellys
not sure about the iron sheik though

The guy I was talking about seemed to just go overboard with increasing his calorie intake. Not saying that is O'Brien's problem but it could just be a genetic thing.

The thing that has impressed me is he is getting the ball more every week. Lots of mids under 30 games struggle to find it .
Not many unless they are A grade have a 30 possession game before the hit 15 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that has impressed me is he is getting the ball more every week. Lots of mids under 30 games struggle to find it .
Not many unless they are A grade have a 30 possession game before the hit 15 games.

Exactly.

Name the last Essendon player who last got 30 disposals within his first 10 games?

Exactly.

Name the last Essendon player who last got 30 disposals within his first 10 games?

More importantly, how many players with less than 10 games have been given the opportunity to take the majority of stoppages.

P.S Not potting O'Brien. More an indictment on the clubs selection policy.

This thread is great for telling who can't leave a judgment behind.

To be honest, I don't think we should offer NOB a contract until he at least proves he can have 4 straight weeks of 30+ possessions, 5 tackles and 1 goal per game. I mean, if we can't get somebody as good a Fyfe, Ablett or Dangerfield, why are we even bothering?

This thread is great for telling who can't leave a judgment behind.

To be honest, I don't think we should offer NOB a contract until he at least proves he can have 4 straight weeks of 30+ possessions, 5 tackles and 1 goal per game. I mean, if we can't get somebody as good a Fyfe, Ablett or Dangerfield, why are we even bothering?

99% of our players struggle to kick a goal game, let alone 4 games of 30+ disposals in a row with a goal a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back