Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - the Warlord - managed vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Plays footy because he relishes the physicality of it.

Not to earn drink cards and free entry at CQ. (Looking knowingly at Curtis Taylor)

Forgot that he didn't play round 24 and therefore has never played in a win. Looking forward to seeing him in the middle of the circle with a Gatorade shower
it'll be him with Pink, McKercher, Duursma, Stephens and Fisher. Might get lost in the crowd

Hard to imagine at the time that we’d come out on top after that debacle of losing JHF but here we are. So good
Are we on top based on the vibe, or demonstrably on top? I'll preface this by saying that I haven't really had a favourite player at any one point ever, and that this bloke is very very close to changing that.

It's just that I'm fairly sure JHF will be the best player in the league one day. You may argue that this is semantics, but I just like to be as grounded as I can be in assessments like this. Best I can say so far is that we've done very well out of a pretty shithouse situation. If Goad comes on and nails down a spot doing whatever he does to a high level (ruck?) then yes, we'll be on top. And I'll be the first to buy Brady a beer if I see him. So far I've only ever run across his cousin, in Echuca in 2013

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we on top based on the vibe, or demonstrably on top? I'll preface this by saying that I haven't really had a favourite player at any one point ever, and that this bloke is very very close to changing that.

It's just that I'm fairly sure JHF will be the best player in the league one day. You may argue that this is semantics, but I just like to be as grounded as I can be in assessments like this. Best I can say so far is that we've done very well out of a pretty shithouse situation. If Goad comes on and nails down a spot doing whatever he does to a high level (ruck?) then yes, we'll be on top. And I'll be the first to buy Brady a beer if I see him. So far I've only ever run across his cousin, in Echuca in 2013
I think at this exact point in time it's the vibe but it's trending towards demonstrably which will always be in the eye of the beholder, I'm sure if you ask Port Powa fans they're as happy with *** as we are with George.

I've no doubt that *** will become a very good player possibly top 10 at some point but I don't think he'll ever be the best just feel there are several that are ahead of him.

I think at this exact point in time it's the vibe but it's trending towards demonstrably which will always be in the eye of the beholder, I'm sure if you ask Port Powa fans they're as happy with *** as we are with George.

I've no doubt that *** will become a very good player possibly top 10 at some point but I don't think he'll ever be the best just feel there are several that are ahead of him.
Yeah that's fair enough

I think there was probably no world where we were keeping JHF, and if we'd somehow managed to keep him it would've probably been at the expense of someone else or deeper cultural damage. There is absolutely truth to the idea that others in the playing group weren't fans of him. In general he seems like a high-maintenance personality, that is to say he requires a lot of attention psychologically to keep his attitude professional, something which I think Port will probably have trouble with over the years, especially if they go through a rough patch during his career. Cutting our losses and trading him out when the opportunity was on the table to secure Wardlaw + a future 1st just seems like obviously the right decision to me. There's no point worrying about what JHF could have been for our club, because what we got for him is probably the best we were ever getting out of him.

Hard to imagine at the time that we’d come out on top after that debacle of losing JHF but here we are. So good

If Goad becomes a decent player we've won comprehensively.

JHF will be the best player in the comp for a few weeks every few years like Stringer.

I’m just talking player to player. Nothing more nothing less. Not about who is the better player either, JHF will be a star, they both will, no doubt.
George just presents so well both on and off the field. As for Jase, well we saw how he conducted himself on field in his time with us and we’ve all read and heard the other s**t about how he was at the club which I don’t think needs to be rehashed again

I think there was probably no world where we were keeping JHF, and if we'd somehow managed to keep him it would've probably been at the expense of someone else or deeper cultural damage. There is absolutely truth to the idea that others in the playing group weren't fans of him. In general he seems like a high-maintenance personality, that is to say he requires a lot of attention psychologically to keep his attitude professional, something which I think Port will probably have trouble with over the years, especially if they go through a rough patch during his career. Cutting our losses and trading him out when the opportunity was on the table to secure Wardlaw + a future 1st just seems like obviously the right decision to me. There's no point worrying about what JHF could have been for our club, because what we got for him is probably the best we were ever getting out of him.
That's a very good way of looking at it. You're right in that there were so many factors in play that he'd probably never produce for us what he'll likely produce for Poort, and if any of the stuff going around about his behaviour was true, then we really had no choice. I guess I'm looking at it from a purely football-based perspective, in terms of net gain/loss and so on. But you don't recruit players and train and develop players in a vacuum, do you. They come with all their baggage.

Probably my own problem that I'm happy rather than overjoyed with the outcome. But watching Wardlaw tear into packs for the next ten years will be as good a tonic as anyone could hope for

I've heard from a reliable source that the animosity between him and Todd Goldstein was real. The animosity between him and Cam Zurhaar was very public and obvious from the moment he requested a trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back