Autopsy The started-before-half-time All Time Insipid #norfball performance v. the team down the highway who shall not be named

Remove this Banner Ad

When is enough, enough though?
We’re way past enough already. At least, I am. Luckily, it’s not about me. Over the past 5 years, we have gotten physically weaker, year on year - due to de-listing/retiring a lot of our mature bodies. At the same time, we’ve become more talented year on year, due to the draft. Right now, we’re being punished for our lack of strong bodies around the ground. All 5 opponents this year have monstered us. What manner of madness made us think we could be competitive this year? We lost Ziebell, Goldstein, Cunnington, Turner. Add Logue as well. We’ve replaced them with children and weaker players. We will reach a good tipping point, I’m sure. However, we will need to wait until next season and the season after. Our biggest problem seems to be that we’ve lost touch with the rest of the competition. Hopefully, we can come good earlier. Unfortunately, I can’t see it happening.

We’re way past enough already. At least, I am. Luckily, it’s not about me. Over the past 5 years, we have gotten physically weaker, year on year - due to de-listing/retiring a lot of our mature bodies. At the same time, we’ve become more talented year on year, due to the draft. Right now, we’re being punished for our lack of strong bodies around the ground. All 5 opponents this year have monstered us. What manner of madness made us think we could be competitive this year? We lost Ziebell, Goldstein, Cunnington, Turner. Add Logue as well. We’ve replaced them with children and weaker players. We will reach a good tipping point, I’m sure. However, we will need to wait until next season and the season after. Our biggest problem seems to be that we’ve lost touch with the rest of the competition. Hopefully, we can come good earlier. Unfortunately, I can’t see it happening.
Agree with most of that but the hidings are unacceptable no matter the circumstances.

Clarko's been loyal to his senior guys all his coaching career but that loyalty is biting him badly here.

The equation is pretty simple.

He either persists with the non-performing senior players and completely demoralises the younger players or he cuts the cord and moves on from them.

It's really a no brainer.

It empowers the younger group and buys him much more time.

It's time Clarko.

This is the logical next step, trouble is, aside from a guy they plucked from the state leagues playing his first game at AFL level, the 2 worst players today were our co-captains. I dont know how you go about giving them the arse at this point. The golden rule in coaching is you have to be exceedingly careful about busting up friendship groups, I remember Pagan talking about that at Carlton, their sh*tful financial situation meant he had the job of cutting a bunch of players before his first pre-season even started, which meant busting up friendship groups and cliques, so the players basically hated him before a single whistle was blown on his first training session.
God knows how Clarko would go with dropping one or both co-captains.

Another game and another week where jaidyn Stephenson goes missing.

I really wasn’t originally fussed about losing the first round draft pick with that win against Gold Coast last year.

I bought into the rhetoric that a win would be better for the club than finishing bottom again.

And that would carry over to 2024 and give us some belief.

But watching West Coast belt Richmond tonight and Reid dominate proves that was simply another monumental f*ck up by our club.

It doesn’t seem to matter who our coach or administration are but we continually seem to make poor decisions that will likely screw us over for another 5 or 10 years.

We are broken and I honestly don’t see how we move out of this.

Today was boys against men, even though Geelong had plenty of kids out there as well, their kids were all just bigger, stronger, fitter and had better skills.

I'll continue to support but I don't know if there is light at the end of this tunnel. There's bad anf then you have what North have been serving up. I certainly wasn't expecting a win today but it was so lacklustre from us that it genuinely looked it cats players and fans were bored.

There's no guarantee these players turn out to be saviours and no guarantee they don't leave so there careers actually go towards something and I wouldn't blame any of them.

I understand teams go through rebuilds but this just seems unbearably low and the end just isn't in sight. Probably the worst backline in AFL history will ensure we don't win a game this year.

I've forgotten what its like to have any positive emotion towards footy.

Yeah even the main board trolling of us is lower than it used to be. It is like the Aussie cricket team beating up on minnow teams in that 1999-2008 period. It had become so common it did get a bit boring.

Our defense is tragic. It's not just the personnel down there, but whatever is going on up the ground is not working either. Can't win games if you're conceding so many looks at goal each week. There are other issues but this is the biggest one, the game plan and defensive system needs to be adjusted or just completely scrapped because this ain't it

Yes Round 23 last year when Gold Coast were already mentally on their end of season trip. They didn’t give a *.
Have a look how we fare against Gold Coast any other time for a better reference.
I find this confirmation bias hilarious.

Tell me, what wins under noble were against teams that either didn't give a *, played horrifically bass or were decimated by injuries....

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really wasn’t originally fussed about losing the first round draft pick with that win against Gold Coast last year.

I bought into the rhetoric that a win would be better for the club than finishing bottom again.

And that would carry over to 2024 and give us some belief.

But watching West Coast belt Richmond tonight and Reid dominate proves that was simply another monumental f*ck up by our club.

It doesn’t seem to matter who our coach or administration are but we continually seem to make poor decisions that will likely screw us over for another 5 or 10 years.

We are broken and I honestly don’t see how we move out of this.

Today was boys against men, even though Geelong had plenty of kids out there as well, their kids were all just bigger, stronger, fitter and had better skills.
Pick 1 or 2 isn't going to do shite in the whole scheme of things. tanking is never the answer. Look where its got us today....

Reid was good because we had a bevvy of their older players healthy around him. In 2 years they'll be worse once 4-5 major retirements happen.

Pick 1 or 2 isn't going to do shite in the whole scheme of things. tanking is never the answer. Look where its got us today....

Reid was good because we had a bevvy of their older players healthy around him. In 2 years they'll be worse once 4-5 major retirements happen.

It’s not specifically about pick 1 or 2, it’s about our constant ability to make f*cking poor decisions across every aspect of running a football club for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re so weak 1v1 and small. Last week I asked how many matchups against Lions ppl thought were in our favour. The answer was easy - none out of the 18. Today was similar.

I swear bruhn was skinny last year. This year he’s out bodying LDU.
I think most teams look stronger against us because of their actual “intent” to hunt the ball. I love LDU but he doesn’t play with that manic intent at the ball. Bruhn’s gunna be some player IMO, but he’s surrounded by blokes who run in very straight lines at the footy. Holmes is another one who attacks the ball pretty ferociously. Our blokes have gotta learn that.

It’s not specifically about pick 1 or 2, it’s about our constant ability to make f*cking poor decisions across every aspect of running a football club for years.

To lump the decision not to cheat and deliberately lose a game of football in with those other terrible decisions is a bit of a stretch though.

Patience is the key. It's annoying, but it's just about plugging away and making smart choices. We've made some silly ones, unfortunately, but it's about ridding the idiots like Rawlings and keeping faith.

Yea, it's funny how much ppl defend Sonja when she's the one of whom the buck stops....

Actually I think Sonja has been great, she is not the one making decisions about who we recruit, who plays, etc. It is the so called experts over the years in charge of recruiting, drafting who should take the blame. Look at the size of our players compared to any other team in the comp (and yes including West Coast and Hawthorn).

I find this confirmation bias hilarious.

Tell me, what wins under noble were against teams that either didn't give a *, played horrifically bass or were decimated by injuries....

Not sure what you’re getting at?

Im pro Clarkson but he’s not immune to criticism either.

And I couldn’t stand Noble and was one of his biggest detractors on here.

The Gold Coast game was absolutely a bruise free, low intensity game.

They absolutely smash us every time we play them. We had lost 20 in a row going into that and we didn’t just suddenly turn into a good side.

Anyone know yet why simpkin isn't in any cba....? Would make a significant difference if our 2x Syd barker medalist actually played where he has the most impact.

1713093263843.png

Was in the most since the Freo game this week, but clearly 2nd rotation and mostly due to McKercher going down

Despite the way over the top thread title, I’m sure we’re all very aware that we’ve suffered far more devastating drubbings at the hands of Geelong in the last 20 odd years than we did today. We know that, don’t we?
That was our 2nd highest losing margin to Geelong in the last 15 years fwiw. 4th highest over the last 20 years.

this may breed further confusion

What’s the point of switching and moving the footy only to turn it over on the other flank

Honestly, right now the game plan is the least of our concerns.
Personnel and confidence is shot
I don’t really agree tbh. I think our structure / system / game plan (whatever you want to call it) is a significant part of our issues. Statistically our players, particularly our young players are going ok. They have no system to fall back on though. If they don’t win first possession, the oppo is off to the races. Our structure around stoppage is non-existent and was completely exposed by a side like Geelong who structure up extremely well around stoppage. This is also reflected in our offensive and defensive transition. It’s why when you watch a North game, the oppo always appear to have an out number.

I agree that skill execution is horrendous, which is caused by both personnel and confidence. This inevitably causes us to breakdown on the rare occasion that we do have an outnumber.

Have a look at the top players for West Coast today. All their older blokes. The way it should be. They should be carrying the load the way so their young blokes dont have to do as much.

It’s the f**king opposite with North. Watching the game, our older mature blokes are the ones f***king it up. Disgraceful.

Have a look at the top players for West Coast today. All their older blokes. The way it should be. They should be carrying the load the way so their young blokes dont have to do as much.

It’s the f**king opposite with North. Watching the game, our older mature blokes are the ones f***king it up. Disgraceful.

There’s one mature age guy down back whose behaviour in that second quarter left a bit to be desired when he’s blaming Biggie

Initials are AC

Sucks to be this numb to another 75-point drubbing, but here we are... again.

I actually thought we were better than last week, for the most part. That's not saying much, I know, but for maybe the first time this year we demonstrated something of a plan for those not-exactly-rare times when we aren't dominating clearances and hitting up forwards on the lead. Execution left plenty to be desired still - it was clear even early on just how much less clean our gather and disposal was than theirs, choice of target or even direction of play seemed like players weren't all on the same page every time, and we were exceptionally good at kicking straight to the spaces that Geelong had well-covered - but you could at least see the will to hold possession and move the ball around with short kicks to make an option, which IIRC was something we did really well in the win against Fremantle last year as well. Sheezel as a half-forward option for the inside-50 kick worked beautifully, and Drury as a forward definitely offers something of value too - with Curtis and Ford doing alright also, there were positive signs despite Larkey being well-beaten and Sellers hardly sighting it on debut. (Fair to say I don't think Zurhaar or Stephenson out particularly hurt us today, on current form.)

Clearances are still a real worry. Xerri simply doesn't have the discernment or the craft to build around such an all-or-nothing approach to stoppages, and we'll continue to concede easy entries for as long as we lack the will to stop opposition spread from the contest - which means not running with LDU/Powell/Wardlaw quite so often given their particular skillsets and deficiencies (we seemed to give Lazzaro a bit of a run on-ball later in the game to reasonable effect; I know he's been rewarded before with limited success but I'd like to see him in the starting 22 next week). Stopping their spread goes to workrate as well though, especially around the ground more than at the stoppages; it makes no sense for us to be this open on the turnover if the players who've just ended up out of position weren't really a factor in the surge forward to begin with (i.e., what exactly are they doing?).

Basically, the balance still feels too skewed towards half-baked attack rather than team defence, which leaves an inexperienced backline overexposed - no surprise we've conceded 100+ points every game this year, but while you could single out poor individual efforts here and there the actual defensive group hasn't been completely woeful - but there were signs today, however slight, that maybe we're remedying that. Hardly anything to be content with, but with the fixture opening up a little from here onwards, maybe basic competitiveness isn't as far away as it's felt for most of this season to date.
As always you eloquently state my thoughts before I do.

For some reason today didn't upset me. We were mostly umpired fairly. The players looked to be having a real crack and there were some reasonable passages of play. The players appeared to be trying "something" to gain the ascendency.

It's just that we were inferior in EVERY useful measure to the cats. Stick your statistics, I know what I saw.

Balls they'd collect one touch, we fumble.

Their forwards mark cleanly, ours hold for .99 of the required time before slipping.

We win possession, they skip the tackle - we kick it back to them.

They win possession, we hold the tackle- they still get it out and head off to the races.

They'd overcome us with numbers running forward yet find their targets. We'd go forward and somehow they're already there too, clogging us up.

Most meaningful passages ended with us turning it over uncontested or watching out forwards spoil each other. Geelong might as well have knocked off for a cuppa half the time, we did their work for them.

The demoralising part was that we DID show effort and DID show a plan but were still very soundly dispatched without 3 of their best players and a gaggle of players whose own parents probably haven't even heard of them.

And credit to to tazaa for spotting this weeks ago - Xerri's stats mask a very ineffective ruckman and by extension onball unit. There is no finesse or method to what he's doing and if you're going to brute force your way to success as an AFL ruck these days you'd want to be 205+ and be able to punch it 30 metres like Corey McKernan.. except Corey could stand on opponent's heads when he did it.

What we have as a result it a ruckman who is virtually turning all our centre square work into a scrum, removing our ability to use our own talents or create fast breaks. Not ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back