Autopsy The started-before-half-time All Time Insipid #norfball performance v. the team down the highway who shall not be named

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible we’re trying a plan an and a plan b? Through the corridor at pace and then through a very strong tight zone with short kicks? Idk, there were times today where you could see it imo. I am drunk, however.
I agree, might have even a reaction to the ground shape and the way Geelong setup.

Northball held up decently for the first three weeks, but has looked awful at the skinny Norwood Oval and GMHBA Stadium against two of the stingiest defences in the AFL.

I think it's fair to reserve judgment for a few weeks. We play the worst backline we'll be facing all year next week, but the expectation has to be that we score 100+ points.
What's the alternative? We have top draft picks and to utilize them we need to use their skill and talent in moving the ball.

If we go to long up the line and try moving the ball contest to contest? We can barely win contests.... It also isn't going to win us s**t long term.

The key IMHO is discovering why their confidence is so fragile. My solution, club trip to Peru for a big Ayahuasca journey.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are trying to play a zone defence aren’t we?

That’s why no one had a clear man, or any intent to shut down on an opposition forward.

Seeing Corr on his man, and then choose to not go with him, says to me Corr doesn’t think he’s responsible for his man once he leaves corrs vicinity.

Same s**t last year though McKay was blamed for being too dumb to grasp what we wanted.

Clearly the dumb one is the person asking 15 blokes to play a zone when not one of them are capable of it.

Despite the way over the top thread title, I’m sure we’re all very aware that we’ve suffered far more devastating drubbings at the hands of Geelong in the last 20 odd years than we did today. We know that, don’t we?

A loss is a loss, and cumulative losses against the same outfit for the past 20 years with little to no improvement occurring in almost half of that time is far worse than the worst loss we have ever copped from them.

Players come and go, and we have had coaches come and go. They’ll move on.

The supporters remember everything, and they’re not going anywhere.

Over the last 5 miserable seasons (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, & 2024) when we've only won 12 games in total, our 'best' footy has come for a brief period under Shaw in 2020, and a brief period under Noble in 2021. In that regard, even though 2022 was rock bottom, we have arguably regressed as a team and club.

I'm just so disheartened from today.

Wtf do we even do with our midfield that was meant to be our strength? We have put all our chips in on blokes who find the footy but don't care enough to do anything else. And the blokes with defensive intent and running can't get a kick.

That's after like 6 years of loading up on midfielders to the neglect of key position players, lol.

I'm just so disheartened from today.

Wtf do we even do with our midfield that was meant to be our strength? We have put all our chips in on blokes who find the footy but don't care enough to do anything else. And the blokes with defensive intent and running can't get a kid.

That's after like 6 years of loading up on midfielders to the neglect of key position players, lol.
Brady is a genius, no doubt. Put all our eggs in that basket. and then watched Cats b-team pull it apart.

I agree with all of that. But no coach does that in the presser.
I know where you’re coming from M.

I listened to Clarkos presser in the car drive home. There was nothing he said that will give supporters any sense that whatever plan were on, is the right one.
He said we hope that in time we’ll be experienced and matured enough to compete. Yeh I get that.
He doesn’t want to over promise but it doesn’t excuse the result.

Geelong are not a 75 point better team based on the side they named today.

My concern is on exposed form the Hawks will do us by 8 goals next week. I feel like we can win and would love to win but just like last year, there is every chance they’ll come out and do us.

This place will be a blood bath again

Northball held up decently for the first three weeks, but has looked awful at the skinny Norwood Oval and GMHBA Stadium against two of the stingiest defences in the AFL.

I think it's fair to reserve judgment for a few weeks. We play the worst backline we'll be facing all year next week, but the expectation has to be that we score 100+ points.

Wouldn't say that but agree with the rest of this post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re so weak 1v1 and small. Last week I asked how many matchups against Lions ppl thought were in our favour. The answer was easy - none out of the 18. Today was similar.

I swear bruhn was skinny last year. This year he’s out bodying LDU.

What we don’t have the cattle for is chip chip chip possession footy. We are still the most scored team against on turn over, so I’m not sure what his realisation is protecting.
this may breed further confusion

What’s the point of switching and moving the footy only to turn it over on the other flank

Honestly, right now the game plan is the least of our concerns.
Personnel and confidence is shot

Despite the way over the top thread title, I’m sure we’re all very aware that we’ve suffered far more devastating drubbings at the hands of Geelong in the last 20 odd years than we did today. We know that, don’t we?
When is enough, enough though?

Sat on centre wing up in the stand Moorabool St side. Great view.

Positives:

Sheez - very impressive to watch that live today. Looks like he's 24 - mature body. Wins contested footy as well as doing the brilliant other stuff. Ball drop is perfection on his spearing passes.

Nyuon can really impact aerially - yes he's athletic but he's also stronger and more imposing than I thought. Aside from a few turnovers, he used it well.

Comben - yes some turnovers but can really mark it.

Powell will be very good.

Negatives:

- Already been mentioned but the centre bounces and clearance situation is diabolical. They're completely out of synch with each other.

- Gave Stephens and Tucker a clean slate before today's game but they're both a big part of the problem. Stephens never looks like winning a contested ball or hurting the opposition in any way, shape or form. Tucker is just very awkward in the way he moves and disposes of it - I wouldn't say he's soft but he has no weapons whatsoever. Neither of those two can win you a 50-50 ball that gets the side out of the repeat entry cycle. They're weak overhead.

- Corr - cooked to a cinder now. Agility non-existent, constantly letting the ball and his opponent get behind him.

- Game style - we are playing a very, very uncontested, style which ultimately relies on a risky kick that we're not skilled enough to hit as we refuse to kick it down the line.

Our younger players are actually the ones more likely to win contested ball. We just have too many senior, uncontested type players in our side. We look so fn soft live. Pagan would spew right up watching that today. And it's not the kids he'd be barfing about.

Last edited:
Im so jealous watching other teams move the footy by just hitting their teammates on the chest. obviously 1. they have the basic skillset. and 2. players are fast moving into positions enabling it .
But it seems to be the norm for us for as long as I can remember. Aside from a select few, we seem to be a vacuum for unskilled, one paced plodders, no matter what number they are drafted. There is a few that need to take the hit at the moment ( I’m looking at you Rawlings) but I feel like it’s been this way for 20 odd years. It’s like walking through the doors at Arden st zapps you of any ability you may have had.

Im so jealous watching other teams move the footy by just hitting their teammates on the chest. obviously 1. they have the basic skillset. and 2. players are fast moving into positions enabling it .
point 2 here doesn’t get enough attention. There is a stark difference between other teams and ours in running to an advantageous position. All over the field we seem to always have an opponent. Other teams are creating overlaps and running to space.

Stengle’s 3rd quarter mark and goal when he quickly ran away into a vacant pocket and the lead was rewarded a case in point.

I've calmed down a bit after that horror show. You keep on fronting up with that little bit of false hope that you'll see an improved performance, but within 10 minutes you know you were just kidding yourself AGAIN! It is deflating to see your club actually regress from already extreme lows. We were outmuscled, out-enthused, outthought, out-skilled, outrun, outworked, out-marked and outtackled. In summary we were were completely outperformed in all aspects of the game by a club that is supposedly in decline.

The midfield I held such high hopes for at the start of the season is the biggest disappointment for me. LDU looks like he has checked out of the club and is planning his next career move. We are losing the clearances and midfield battle in a major way for what is supposed to be a quite talented bunch of players. Sheez needs to move into the midfield permanently and Mckercher needs to be moved on to a wing when he returns. Even X was disappointing today after being one of our positives in previous games. We just can't stem the tide with the exception of a few 5 minutes burst and are conceding large scores at a point in time when scores above 100 are not par for the course. The lack of resistance in midfield is a huge problem for our undermanned defence. We are constantly out-bodied at the contest. It is embarrassing. Is it a lack of strength or a lack of commitment, or both?

Our disposal by foot is absolutely atrocious. How can a group of professional footballers be so incompetent in the most elementary skill element of this sport? We are still far too often just hacking the ball away, usually straight to an opposition player. With the exception of Sheez we did manage to kick the ball with unerring accuracy directly to Geelong's best intercept markers when we went long or kicked into the F50. Has it occurred to any of the players that perhaps we should avoid kicking in that direction?

In looking for some positives, there were a few small wins:
  1. Sheez showed what impact he can have on the scoreboard with his penetrating kicks into the F50. From now on he must play in midfield where he can have a greater influence on the game than he does playing on the HBF.
  2. Ford and Curtis have enough quality to have scoreboard impact with decent quality supply of the pill. Unfortunately the radar was a bit off for Curtis, but that isn't his usual standard of kicking.
  3. Biggie showed some promise and could help bolster our defensive stocks.
  4. Chom demonstrated his marking prowess and has huge potential as an intercepting key defender. He'll be better than McKay.
  5. Drury didn't disappoint, but has Kayne Turner vibes about him. Great mentality but unlikely to have much impact on the game. For now he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Looking further ahead, we must never again trade for rejects from other clubs. They never fail to disappoint and we should stop wasting our time and money on them. If Sydney wants to get rid of a #5 draft kick you can take it to the bank that he is no good. Will we ever learn? Just take what draft capital we have to the draft. It looks like another #1 draft pick on the way this year because on the evidence of the last couple of games West Coast will win more games (in Perth) than we are capable of, even with improvement by us in the 2nd half of the season. Only go after quality RFAs if any of them are willing to come to our bottom dwelling club, which is unlikely.

Lastly, I hope the selectors show a ruthless streak. Too many players are receiving their $4k match payments under false pretences. There shouldn't be any less than 3 unforced changes to the team that takes on Hawthorn. Bolster the midfield with our best players. If Hardeman is available for selection, give him a run on the HBF to release either Sheez or Mckercher. When are we going to see Brayden George? There are at least half a dozen players that should fear getting axed based on what they've shown so far this season. I'm not advocating for all of them to go in one hit, but some have to experience the VFL to find better form.

That's my rant for the day. Enjoy your Sunday evening everyone.

Doubt Skepticism GIF by NRK P3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back