Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We ignore Joe's issues at our peril - Needs to be more team oriented, play smarter and hold chest marks.

Four to six weeks is needed in the VFL to develop his game - Nearly all tall forwards spent time in the VFL - Its nothing new.
My opinion/thoughts:

· I don't consider his recent form slump to be 'perilous', however I acknowledge your point that he is out of form.
· I don't see how playing him in the two's will make him a better player in the seniors, at least not at this stage of his career
· Has shown great potential in patches, i.e games against Brisbane and Melbourne this year
· Has had to take on senior responsibilities in the forward line for a young and fairly inexperienced player
· Still needs to physically and mentally mature

My two cents worth: he has big potential and any club in the AFL would snavvle him up in a heartbeat, he just needs time to develop himself professionally and personally before he owns. He may not be where you want him to be at just yet, but be happy that we have him.

He'll be right.

Will be dominant once he adds more size to his frame and can't get pushed off the ball so easily. At the moment, whenever the ball goes to ground after a marking contest, spends most of his time on the ground looking like he's either playing 'Twister' or in a break-dance competition.

He also needs to get rid of the bad habit that has crept into his game where, if he is out of position in a marking contest, he will lunge forward in an attempt to get a hands in the back free. Problem is that he rarely gets the free kick and leaves his opponent (or third man in) to take an easy mark. I feel he maybe got a free kick or two this way early on in his career and now looks for it more than he should. If he were to instead realise he's out of position and push back hard on his man, he at least makes it more difficult for the opposition to mark and rebound quickly.

Reckon he will get the Rance match up this week which will make it a tough gig. As long as he works up the ground,demands the ball and stops Rance influence - Then he'll have done his job.

What's Paul Salmon up to these days? He could be handy in a part time coaching role with Joe D given he was once a tall skinny forward he would know what joe d is going through and how to help him

Would be good for him to get a one on one match up at some stage of his career. No wonder his form has dropped off, he has to play on 2 or 3 blokes every week and then go into the ruck. All of this while watching the opposition forwards standing up the other end with one on one match ups.

On a side note it was interesting to learn that he shares his digs with Liam McBean of Richmond.

Apparently they are best mates and played together in the under 8's as kids.

Probably a positive in a way as I doubt the drugs saga would be a topic of conversation between them.

Would be good for him to get a one on one match up at some stage of his career. No wonder his form has dropped off, he has to play on 2 or 3 blokes every week and then go into the ruck. All of this while watching the opposition forwards standing up the other end with one on one match ups.

And I think he's tiring a bit, it's been a long season for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are people confident that Joe will fill out enough and be strong enough to be our No.1 forward?....Also as a side note he needs to take the little brain fart moments out of his game....like flying for unrealistic marks

Absolutely. The difference in his frame this year from last year is obvious I think. I worry about his knees, don't want to see him used in the ruck too much. He doesn't seem to value self-preservation.

Spent a large amount of the time moving up into our defensive 50 last night. The boy has a tank on him. Sadly any ball coming to him last night, let alone most players, the ball was simply too wet to mark and he did the best thing and get first touch to it by fisting it another twenty yards on or finding the boundary.
Not a night for the talls last night.

Are people confident that Joe will fill out enough and be strong enough to be our No.1 forward?....Also as a side note he needs to take the little brain fart moments out of his game....like flying for unrealistic marks

He needs another 5-10ks, focus his development in the forward line not in the ruck.

Shave the stash and look the part, maybe umpires will pay him a free kick for a change.

Shave the sh*t mo ffs Joe.

However I'm pretty happy where he's at though tbh. It's been a sh*t of year for him & the club, but I really admire the maturity he's shown throughout.

Kid will be a monster in next 2 years, just needs to get some bad habits out of his game...playing for frees, kicking off one step when field kicking, improving speed of hand when offloading ball to oncoming teammates etc.

Heartened by potential Hooker partnership too!!

And I think he's tiring a bit, it's been a long season for him.

yeah he looks a tad cooked. Between him having to ruck, play on the best defender every week and play in our forward line I think he's been amazing this year, you almost have to apply a multiplier to the 40 odd goals he'll end up with

yeah he looks a tad cooked. Between him having to ruck, play on the best defender every week and play in our forward line I think he's been amazing this year, you almost have to apply a multiplier to the 40 odd goals he'll end up with

I was happy with JD's performance last night - Was fairly effective as a high forward - Hooker has got the number one defender four out of the last five weeks - JD got the best defender against Adelaide.

As much as i hate the bloke, and it pains me to say this, Joey could learn alot from watching Jack Riewoldt. A few occasions Jack positioned his body so well, protected the drop of the ball, Hurls didnt stand a chance. Joey continues to run under the ball expecting his long arms to do the work. He needs to take the ball at it's highest point and he'll be unstoppable.

As much as i hate the bloke, and it pains me to say this, Joey could learn alot from watching Jack Riewoldt. A few occasions Jack positioned his body so well, protected the drop of the ball, Hurls didnt stand a chance. Joey continues to run under the ball expecting his long arms to do the work. He needs to take the ball at it's highest point and he'll be unstoppable.

You mean the same Riewoldt that had his ass handed to him by Hurley on Saturday?

Shave the sh*t mo ffs Joe.

However I'm pretty happy where he's at though tbh. It's been a sh*t of year for him & the club, but I really admire the maturity he's shown throughout.

Kid will be a monster in next 2 years, just needs to get some bad habits out of his game...playing for frees, kicking off one step when field kicking, improving speed of hand when offloading ball to oncoming teammates etc.

Heartened by potential Hooker partnership too!!

Pretty sure he's growing the mo for his uncle and to help raise awareness for MND

You mean the same Riewoldt that had his ass handed to him by Hurley on Saturday?

One and the same. Doesn't change the fact that he's a smart footballer than knows how to play forward. It was never going to be Riewoldts night, it's easier to punch than it is to take clean marks in the wet. I would of been shocked if Hurley didn't towel him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back