Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old man really knows his footy, loves Essendon and can't stand Daniher. Not sure what his problem is.

I still think he can be a very good player although I doubt he'll ever be a Nick Riewoldt.

He almost reminds me of a Josh Fraser but hopefully he will be better than him. Not that Josh Fraser was a bad player.

Two things covered above:

1. Bulks up - this is going to happen so no worries.
2. Not play ruck - leuenberger 80% and McKernan 20% should make this happen. Bellchambers also lurking for the McKernan role so Daniher should be solely a KF now.

Some better delivery will also help which he should get with a better midfield group surely available compared to last season.

Better forward structure should be on the cards - it can only get better ie not going for same ball with Carlisle.

My old man really knows his footy, loves Essendon and can't stand Daniher. Not sure what his problem is.

I still think he can be a very good player although I doubt he'll ever be a Nick Riewoldt.

He almost reminds me of a Josh Fraser but hopefully he will be better than him. Not that Josh Fraser was a bad player.
He has already shown glimpses of what he can do and that is far superior to what Josh fraser slopped up
maybe some decent delivery to the forward line will help him as well as another 5kg. I think he is actually better suited to play a bit further up the ground coz when he is given the freedon to move he is a very very agile big man

Not having to play Ruck will see him be a much better player.

He had a few games last year where he tore up the first quarter, went into the ruck and then looked a shadow of himself afterwards through exhaustion.

Ffs... and I knew a guy who never liked Dustin Fletcher...

Josh Fraser is a really bad comparison. He was a midfielder in a giraffe's body. In over 200 games he kicked 5 in a game once. Joe is only 21 and has already done it twice. He leaps and marks at its highest point when in form. Fraser was useless in this regard. Their kicking might be similar but Joe has more range and when he gets it right his kicking is actually quite impressive which suggests it's just a matter of honing a skill rather than him missing a vital forward skill.

I would never expect Joe to be a Riewoldt. Roo is a once in a lifetime tall aerobic freak with a burst of speed to compliment it. Joe will be better close to goals and will benefit from not being as leg weary when kicking for goals like Roo. I think he is potentially a far better overhead mark which will be almost unstoppable unless teams find a lanky Fletcher type to play on him with gadget arms.

Joe will be fine, just needs time, bulk, and some tall assistance to ease the burden.

Ffs... and I knew a guy who never liked Dustin Fletcher...

Josh Fraser is a really bad comparison. He was a midfielder in a giraffe's body. In over 200 games he kicked 5 in a game once. Joe is only 21 and has already done it twice. He leaps and marks at its highest point when in form. Fraser was useless in this regard. Their kicking might be similar but Joe has more range and when he gets it right his kicking is actually quite impressive which suggests it's just a matter of honing a skill rather than him missing a vital forward skill.

I would never expect Joe to be a Riewoldt. Roo is a once in a lifetime tall aerobic freak with a burst of speed to compliment it. Joe will be better close to goals and will benefit from not being as leg weary when kicking for goals like Roo. I think he is potentially a far better overhead mark which will be almost unstoppable unless teams find a lanky Fletcher type to play on him with gadget arms.

Joe will be fine, just needs time, bulk, and some tall assistance to ease the burden.
I agree and will be sure to pass on your sentiments to my stubborn father.

Laverde not in the photo. Hope he's not carrying anything. Would love to see him have a full pre-season and stake a claim in our rejuvenated midfield.

I'd like to think there was more than 8 of them there. Maybe he's over on the grass throwing up or something.

EDIT: Check out Zach, damn that boy's been doing some leg presses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12208705_10153672750584356_5790878484277292679_n.jpg

Liking his trajectory of building mass, slowly but surely two-three years will be optimal size.

Its because Joe is more athlete than footballer, and kicks like an exchange student, albeit with a little more distance.

I'm always bemused when reading that it is the ability to kick the ball separates the "athletes" from the "footballers".

Never mind the ability to draw the ball on the lead, hold his own against premier defenders that he is currently physically inferior to, display of ball handling skills (picking the ball of the deck and the like) and ability to find the thing in traffic that display his seriously high level of footballing talent.

Paddy Ambrose does not miss targets. Plenty of natural footballers are ordinary by foot (and Daniher can kick the thing he just seizes up in front of goal).

I'm always bemused when reading that it is the ability to kick the ball separates the "athletes" from the "footballers".

Never mind the ability to draw the ball on the lead, hold his own against premier defenders that he is currently physically inferior to, display of ball handling skills (picking the ball of the deck and the like) and ability to find the thing in traffic that display his seriously high level of footballing talent.

Paddy Ambrose does not miss targets. Plenty of natural footballers are ordinary by foot (and Daniher can kick the thing he just seizes up in front of goal).
Yeah, good point and well made. Its just that it astounds me that somebody groomed to be a high level footballer could be so bad at the most basic skill.

Is it just me or has he bulked up in the last few months?

View attachment 192040

I think he's been steadily putting on weight since he got drafted. Just not a ton all in one go. Each preseason he's come back a bit stronger. Happy with that personally. I think we will look back and say we've actually managed Joe pretty well considering how bad his injury history was prior to coming to Essendon. We've definitely taken the long term approach with him.

On another note: Langford seems to have really transformed since last season. Looks much more like a man. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

I think he's been steadily putting on weight since he got drafted. Just not a ton all in one go. Each preseason he's come back a bit stronger. Happy with that personally. I think we will look back and say we've actually managed Joe pretty well considering how bad his injury history was prior to coming to Essendon. We've definitely taken the long term approach with him.

On another note: Langford seems to have really transformed since last season. Looks much more like a man. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

Daniher is listed as 201cm, not that it is particularly important but I think he is taller than that, and 90 kgs. He gets the number 1 defender most weeks in an utterly dysfunctional forward structure.

He played 21 of 23 games as a second year player in 2014. He played all 22 games this year as a third year bean pole. Even back in 2013 he played 15 or so games of VFL/AFL footy.

This is all from a guy who did not play a lot of underage footy due to injury.

He's been managed exceptionally well to this point and he has shown plenty of signs that he will be one of the premier forwards in the game. I understand why people are impatient but not that the impatience is clouding judgement.

Daniher is listed as 201cm, not that it is particularly important but I think he is taller than that, and 90 kgs. He gets the number 1 defender most weeks in an utterly dysfunctional forward structure.

He played 21 of 23 games as a second year player in 2014. He played all 22 games this year as a third year bean pole. Even back in 2013 he played 15 or so games of VFL/AFL footy.

This is all from a guy who did not play a lot of underage footy due to injury.

He's been managed exceptionally well to this point and he has shown plenty of signs that he will be one of the premier forwards in the game. I understand why people are impatient but not that the impatience is clouding judgement.
His first year in the VFL was very impressive. 29 goals in 12 games is nothing to be sneezed at as an 18 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back