Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then when Fletch eventually retires we can have all 3 of Hooker/Hurley/Carlisle in defence with Daniher/Bellchambers/Ambrose forward :)

In the same way that if you win the Superbowl you are world champions?

Playing on Gibson, McFarlin (Sp.), Dawson are not easy, they are all quality defenders, 2 of them being All Australians. Daniher is good but he is 50-100 games away from being able to do that!

He may make way when both Belly and Ryder are fit, but wouldn't put him out of the side more than 4 or 5 times for the season. Give him a few rests and perhaps misses a final if we're lucky enough to get there ...

The reality is that Daniher is too good for the VFL and will learn little playing at that level. He's shown an ability to move up the field and have an impact and has clearly worked hard on his tackling. He's playing good footy and is hardly a liability like so many young KPPs can be. As a result, I think that we can continue to play him even if it is as you say not 'our best possible structure'.
Hmmm. Not sure why you quoted me? Kind of seems like you are disagreeing with me, yet at the same time you are saying exactly what I did...

Not sure 'he' is the problem.. delivery coming in is slow and stupid.. most forwards will struggle in our forward line right now..

Also he is already taking the best defender.. often tonight had 2 defenders..

He did more than Hardingham or Carlisle.. and he gives 100% for every contest.. more than some others..

Surely we can drop him until he grows up.

Why? He isn't the reason that we're losing. He wasn't getting good looks but in both losses has been running hard up and down the ground. He needs the game experience otherwise no amount of bulking up will teach him how to use his body.

Carlisle also didn't look great tonight so would you drop him too? The kicking inside 50 wasn't great - didn't see a single good kick to a lead.

VFL for the rest of the year. Or better yet, no play for the rest of the year. Get him in the dungeon lifting some ******* heavy weight. 4,000 calories a day, powerlifting 4 days a week for one calendar year.

We need a powerforward not a walking treebranch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JD isn't part of the problem. He was our only ******* forward that actually led at the ball. A 20yo taking two key defenders is what the problem is. The rest of the forward line needs to wake the **** up and do something for once.

Joe looked as shot as the rest, but absolutely worked his butt off on the lead and chased everything.

It doesn't help when Hardy leads to the same place Joe does and brings a 3rd defender to add to his direct opponent AND the 3rd man up

JD has to learn to do the big man things better - In other words needs to better fit his profile - His marking is not at the standard to be an elite player. He does the little man things better than expected - Things like speed, work below his knees, are better than expected. He needs to mark better or he will only be a VERY GOOD player.

Leads well, looked shot from where I was sitting though. He needs the extra bulk, his body is simply not developed enough at this level right now.

JD has to learn to do the big man things better - In other words needs to better fit his profile - His marking is not at the standard to be an elite player. He does the little man things better than expected - Things like speed, work below his knees, are better than expected. He needs to mark better or he will only be a VERY GOOD player.

his hands are great, i'd argue that it's just his positioning (and being able to hold that position) that is the next step.

Already knows where to go, it's just that when he's clunking marks on the wing, we need another joe for him to kick to, because when he does get it and go to wheel around in what is becoming characteristic joe fashion, there's absolutely nothing there, and then he second guesses himself and does something silly

Why? He isn't the reason that we're losing. He wasn't getting good looks but in both losses has been running hard up and down the ground. He needs the game experience otherwise no amount of bulking up will teach him how to use his body.

Carlisle also didn't look great tonight so would you drop him too? The kicking inside 50 wasn't great - didn't see a single good kick to a lead.
Joe looked to play ok as a half forward type. We needed a presence in the air that he couldn't provide. He isn't the reason for the losses, but the side will be stronger with TBC back.

Leads to the right spots, positions himself well but doesn't hang onto his marks and isn't strong enough yet, time for a spell I think

Has a real crack I love his enthusiasm although he does need a rest. 1 or 2 games in the two's kick a couple of bags to get the confidence back. He is still very raw needs to be eased in slowly imo

his hands are great, i'd argue that it's just his positioning (and being able to hold that position) that is the next step.

Already knows where to go, it's just that when he's clunking marks on the wing, we need another joe for him to kick to, because when he does get it and go to wheel around in what is becoming characteristic joe fashion, there's absolutely nothing there, and then he second guesses himself and does something silly

His Hands are far from great, though not as bad as Hurley. The point is that the expectation is that JD will be an elite player - To do this he needs to be a high level mark which he hasn't displayed yet. He has more than enough tools to be a VERY good player from 2016, but I want more. As a point of reference Glesson is showing more attributes that indicate that he could be ELITE.

His Hands are far from great, though not as bad as Hurley. The point is that the expectation is that JD will be an elite player - To do this he needs to be a high level mark which he hasn't displayed yet. He has more than enough tools to be a VERY good player from 2016, but I want more. As a point of reference Glesson is showing more attributes that indicate that he could be ELITE.

Come on Yaco, he has shown it. The first couple of games, the high contested marking on the lead (Riewoldt style), the big wheel around onto the left (Buddy style) the awkward goal kicking style (Jordan Bannister style :D). He has plenty of attributes to be an elite player.

Joe took 6 marks last night with 3 contested. His marking was ok.

His only problem is he gets shifted off the ball too easily know and there isn't any space for him to run into.

He's still another preseason or two from earning a best 22 spot but we just have to play him. I'd be happy for him to be rotated shortly and when Goddard comes back with Belly we can have a different forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back