Player Watch #6: Shaun Grigg

Remove this Banner Ad

Grigga picked up 94 tackles for the home and away season, finishing 5 clear of Martin on 89

Grigg 1st for tackles :eek:

Martin 2nd?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What next? Rance with the least clangers?

Solid evidence that the coaching team are going ok, and ironing out the wrinkles in our players games.

Rance is only 12th in average clangers per game for Richmond (235th in AFL) but also has the 4th most Time on the Ground in the entire AFL

Pah. As if... Next you'll try to tell me that Vickery is averaging more contested marks a game than Maric ;)

Well Well Well!!!! I for one will have to eat my words about Grigg.... But saying that was one part of his game he had to improve he has become an inside and outside player now would like to see him B.O.G sunday..... Shaun Grigg i was wrong

Fantastic job Grigg. Great inside big body.

One the tackles vs scores thing. I reckon that if your defensive pressure is right you force the opposition to move the ball in a les controlled way, which causes turnovers and slow clunky play. Tackles are the result of players running into one another (sort of the definition). So if you actually are trying to fore the opposition to move the ball, but do it badly, you actually want less tackles but more pressure. Back in the day probably players weren't fit or professional enough to infer pressure 100% of the time. Now that you can, if you're good, maybe it leads to less scores against and more scores for than trying to lock it up with tackles. Cause tackles restart the game - 50:50 chance of getting the ball and often in congestion. So slow movement in difficult situations. But, Pressure on ball movement causes turnovers in more space which leads to easier goals. My thoughts anyway.

Tackling was an area of Grigg's game that was considered poor by many laymans, but in reality it was never as bad as it seemed.

Dimma just had the guy playing a different role for a period of time, a role that didn't have tackling as a priority.

And considering that Dimma's game-plan doesn't have tackling as a major focus anyway (he prefers us controlling possession, which usually means less tackling due to having more of the ball), when we would lose, it was easy to look at the pure stats, such as tackling, and lay into Grigg for being "unaccountable" or "soft"

Grigg's never been soft, there's a reason he's getting a game in a team that has won 15 games for the year, it's because he's a good quality player in whatever role he's given.

CRIMINALLY underrated on here by some, along with Houli. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
:thumbsu: amen to that :thumbsu:

you actually want less tackles but more pressure.

I agree, Doc. The main thing is to win the ball back. Once they put the hit on, both the Richmond and opposition player should both be on the ground, and out of the play. Messing up the opposition's disposal works better than hoping for a holding the ball free kick.

Edwards is one to watch, if you want to see a modern player doing the correct thing for pressure.

If he is in front of the opposition player with the ball, he flaps his arms and legs wildly, rarely tackling (unless his unbalanced or out of position or something, and can't do anything else). Sometimes, he even pushes them in the chest with an open palm, then follows the pressured handball to the next opposition player. He stays in the contest, and keeps putting pressure on.

If his behind the opposition player with the ball, he always lays the tackle. Can't smother from behind.

(For any kiddies reading this, juniors and amateurs should always take the opportunity to put a hit on an opposition player. You're never going to make the next contest anyway, and knocking someone over is one of the joys of football.)

I agree, Doc. The main thing is to win the ball back. Once they put the hit on, both the Richmond and opposition player should both be on the ground, and out of the play. Messing up the opposition's disposal works better than hoping for a holding the ball free kick.

Edwards is one to watch, if you want to see a modern player doing the correct thing for pressure.

If he is in front of the opposition player with the ball, he flaps his arms and legs wildly, rarely tackling (unless his unbalanced or out of position or something, and can't do anything else). Sometimes, he even pushes them in the chest with an open palm, then follows the pressured handball to the next opposition player. He stays in the contest, and keeps putting pressure on.

If his behind the opposition player with the ball, he always lays the tackle. Can't smother from behind.

(For any kiddies reading this, juniors and amateurs should always take the opportunity to put a hit on an opposition player. You're never going to make the next contest anyway, and knocking someone over is one of the joys of football.)

Great post - I always like people that agree with me :p:oops:

Anyway, to carry this off effectively requires that the entire team do it, and don't stop. Huge fitness, discipline, awareness and cohesiveness required. But it forces the opposition to play to your structures, if done right.

I can't imagine the 1980s VFL teams being able to do it, much less juniors. "Kick it to Royce" won't work if your not allowed to get the kick away.

Note: I reckon Royce would be at least as much of a star these days. His attitude and smarts would work so well with what they do nowadays.

Being second to the ball always provides more opportunity to have a high tackle count .
If you have the football you don't need to tackle .
Pretty awesome that he's our 3rd best for clearances as well then :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2000 - 2015: Richmond Leading Tacklers - Top 5

2000:
  1. Matthew Knights - 52
  2. Joel Bowden - 51
  3. Greg Tivendale - 43
  4. Duncan Kellaway - 41
  5. Paul Broderick - 36

2001:
  1. Wayne Campbell - 71
  2. Duncan Kellaway - 67