Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

Either the club/Lennon has something going on we don't know about. Or this is a bit weird. Could be he wants extra years/$ and we are just nutting out the details. But it seems strange.

Lennon will stay, there have been no links to other clubs, no statements from his manager saying he's looking for more opportunity at another club etc… He would have bought into the idea that success is not far away from Richmond, no way he would want to go anywhere that puts him further away from finals.

Exactly as I see it at this point in time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously, everybody just calm down.

If Benny or his manager was hell bent on getting him to another club, his manager would have said so on the radio today, not come out and said that Ben wants to stay at Richmond AND that he (manager) is hopeful that they can get a deal done. Of course Carlolton have probably asked for him, and I guarantee SOS/Carlton is where Barrett and the like get their 'intel', Richmond don't play that way. The only comments out of Punt Road have been that he's a required player.

The sticking point probably is money, but almost every contract negotiation starts out the same way (Jack's springs to mind), the sides start someway apart and then they negotiate.

Surely Dan Richardson has enough credits in the bank by now for you all to have a little faith in his process when it comes to contract extensions.

Dan Richardson just had a missed call from Lennons Managar.

Voice mail - Hi Dan any chance we can meet today and sort this deal out, Sos is waiting for an answer to his $450k offer is Richmond position still $250 if so we will be asking to be traded to carlton.

Voice mail - Hi Dan any chance we can meet today and sort this deal out, Sos is waiting for an answer to his $450k offer is Richmond position still $250 if so we will be asking to be traded to carlton.

Thats just insane paying Lennon 450k .

Followed by a call from Dan to SOS.

Dan: I hear you made a 450K offer to Lennon *giggle* well, we're not going to match that so lets trade.
SOS: We offered WHAT? Says who?
Dan: Ben's manager.
SOS: Is that the same guy who thinks Casboult has currency?
Dan: Yep.
SOS: They really need to start drug testing player managers. We still on for the Yarran deal?
Dan: Yeah, we should have an early second lined up soon enough.
SOS: OK, talk to you then.

The bloke has an offer on the table from Richmond, Has had it there for 6 months

Ben Lennon decided to put off contract talks
The offer is still there
But he hasnt signed

The contract is on the table, They want more $$$
The ball is in his court so stop playing games Ben

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to your logic, Ben should sign whatever the club has put in front of him. The offer he received 6 months ago was when he was stuck in the VFL. When he was eventually given another opportunity at AFL level, he performed quite well and showed he has the capability to play at AFL level. You however expect his manager to have Ben sign what was presented 6 months ago. Using employment as a comparison, if you are a highly skilled professional would you sign on being paid unskilled labourer's rates ?? I didn't think so

The club needs to get its head out of its arse and start paying the players a little bit more, its not like we are ever going to use it to get another player in anyway. Bunch of cheap skates no wonder can't entice players to come here anymore.

According to your logic, Ben should sign whatever the club has put in front of him. The offer he received 6 months ago was when he was stuck in the VFL. When he was eventually given another opportunity at AFL level, he performed quite well and showed he has the capability to play at AFL level. You however expect his manager to have Ben sign what was presented 6 months ago. Using employment as a comparison, if you are a highly skilled professional would you sign on being paid unskilled labourer's rates ?? I didn't think so

well he's not worth 450 k a year either mate no friggin way.

I trust Dan and the RfC will do the right thing, think of the big picture. I'm still not sold on Lennon, I don't think he has done all that much other than some good potential performances, hardly warrants a position to be bargaining with the club. Get some runs on the board first Benny boy...

I trust Dan and the RfC will do the right thing, think of the big picture. I'm still not sold on Lennon, I don't think he has done all that much other than some good potential performances, hardly warrants a position to be bargaining with the club. Get some runs on the board first Benny boy...

agree club meet half way pay him something decent and don't try low ball etc . But if he wants 450 k or so a year then see ya later.

agree club meet half way pay him something decent and don't try low ball etc . But if he wants 450 k or so a year then see ya later.
I don't think they would be tying to low ball him, he may think he is better than what he is, if he feels that way he should sign a two year deal, put his head down and work his ass off and then see what he is worth.

If that was me I would be like "Well tell Ben to go damn himself because I ain't doing that"

I don't think they would be tying to low ball him, he may think he is better than what he is, if he feels that way he should sign a two year deal, put his head down and work his ass off and then see what he is worth.

I think you're spot on. In fact his manager on Trade Radio today made a comment along the lines "Ben thinks of himself quite highly". He then played it down again so may of meant nothing. But the whole time the manager seemed to be pushing the Richmond option. As you suggest, possibly a $$$ vs contract length equation needs to be worked out. One that meets Richmond salary offered based on his current status of "potential star" but allows Ben to negotiate a higher price if he turns his potential into results. Keeping him after that... will be even more difficult.

I like watching him play so hope he stays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back