Player Watch #7: Daniel Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

I kept wanting Dimma to give him a go last year but he refused. Even told him that he was a good player personally! He persisted with the old guard who have continuously failed. Hope he realises that this guy is the real deal. Just needs to be given a decent run. Great defensive pressure, run and carry and pace with good delivery. Offers so much more than those who have failed us time and time again,
I agree and cannot believe he has not played an AFL game considering the state of our side last year. Didn't suit the backwards slow ball moving DH game plan can be the only reason.

I kept wanting Dimma to give him a go last year but he refused. Even told him that he was a good player personally! He persisted with the old guard who have continuously failed. Hope he realises that this guy is the real deal. Just needs to be given a decent run. Great defensive pressure, run and carry and pace with good delivery. Offers so much more than those who have failed us time and time again,
Don't think he was exactly killing it in the vfl for most of the year. Was battling

Really?? What would you have known as you were on the Suns thread. You really need to take a rest from the Keyboards posting stuff like this.
Butler played well towards the end of the year, his start was ordinary

Back from suspension and bobbed up with two handy goals.-
5VFLDidn’t get a lot of the ball, but had some nice touches.-
6VFLStruggled to get into the game at any stage.-
7VFLOne of the better performers in loss. Laid seven tackles.-
8Senior emergency.
9VFLBye.-
10VFLDid a few good things and used ball well, but wasn’t a big factor.-
11VFLMade a few mistakes but ended with 1.1 in front half.-
12Suspended.
13VFLBye.-
14VFLPlayed in the back half and did some handy things. Better than a few fellow Tigers.-
15VFLStruggled to have any real impact in two-point loss to Casey.

Don't think he was exactly killing it in the vfl for most of the year. Was battling
Yes, he wasn't killing it in numbers possessions but the quality was there. Makes good decisions and has good disposal. Guys like Rioli didn't even play VFL so why did dan have to "star" to get a gig? The seniors were getting thrashed and we had a talented player that could have been fast tracked like Rioli. Sometimes you have to look to the future and accept that young players may not be quite up to it yet but you have to play them to see if they show the traits that will mean they will succeed. The best time to do that is when the season is shot. Our season was shot quite early on.

Yes, he wasn't killing it in numbers possessions but the quality was there. Makes good decisions and has good disposal. Guys like Rioli didn't even play VFL so why did dan have to "star" to get a gig? The seniors were getting thrashed and we had a talented player that could have been fast tracked like Rioli. Sometimes you have to look to the future and accept that young players may not be quite up to it yet but you have to play them to see if they show the traits that will mean they will succeed. The best time to do that is when the season is shot. Our season was shot quite early on.
I agree he should have got a few games, however I'm just making the point he was struggling up until the later stages of the year to really find much ball

M
Butler played well towards the end of the year, his start was ordinary

Back from suspension and bobbed up with two handy goals.-
5VFLDidn’t get a lot of the ball, but had some nice touches.-
6VFLStruggled to get into the game at any stage.-
7VFLOne of the better performers in loss. Laid seven tackles.-
8Senior emergency.
9VFLBye.-
10VFLDid a few good things and used ball well, but wasn’t a big factor.-
11VFLMade a few mistakes but ended with 1.1 in front half.-
12Suspended.
13VFLBye.-
14VFLPlayed in the back half and did some handy things. Better than a few fellow Tigers.-
15VFLStruggled to have any real impact in two-point loss to Casey.
Mate the whole team was performing poorly bc they were playing a constipated game plan as DH was trying to push it.
Once the game plan changed his natural attacking abilities shone. Don't go and copy and paste some crap that some xxxx wit like the Ox preached. . Go and watch some games.

M

Mate the whole team was performing poorly bc they were playing a constipated game plan as DH was trying to push it.
Once the game plan changed his natural attacking abilities shone. Don't go and copy and paste some crap that some xxxx wit like the Ox preached. . Go and watch some games.
I did watch vfl games, caught a fair few of them. I'm not disagreeing with you, just making the point for whatever reason he struggled early on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did watch vfl games, caught a fair few of them. I'm not disagreeing with you, just making the point for whatever reason he struggled early on

Fitness. Only had half a preseason last year on the back on no preseason the year before, so whilst he may have been fit to reasonable standard, he wasn't fit to the point where he had a considerable advantage over the opposition. Last nights game it was evident that his fitness has improved considerably and he is able to find more of the ball on the back of following up from contest to contest.

M

haha, why are you attacking Meatball, when you all summer was slagging off picking Caddy and described him as a C grade plodder. Everyone who actually watched games told you Caddy would be value but noooo, you did not listen till your "recruiter" mate wised you up.

So get your hand off it and allow meat his opinion.

Yes, he wasn't killing it in numbers possessions but the quality was there. Makes good decisions and has good disposal. The best time to do that is when the season is shot. Our season was shot quite early on.
Agree...the second half of that awful season was perfect for trialling the better young players to see what they had to offer rather than playing the known knowns...a wasted opportunity for trial development...

Agree...the second half of that awful season was perfect for trialling the better young players to see what they had to offer rather than playing the known knowns...a wasted opportunity for trial development...

We actually did, from memory Dan was literally the only listed player at the club that did not get a game last year.

The powers that be must have seen something in him otherwise he would not have got a gig this year. Sounded like he showed a bit in the last bit of the VFL last year, so congrats to him for getting up and running and making it pretty hard not to select R1, albeit on a praccy match. Like Dan Rioli last year, has AFL traits.

haha, why are you attacking Meatball, when you all summer was slagging off picking Caddy and described him as a C grade plodder. Everyone who actually watched games told you Caddy would be value but noooo, you did not listen till your "recruiter" mate wised you up.

So get your hand off it and allow meat his opinion.

Dude learn your place. When you have coached under 8's you're entitled to an opinion

1 game, a lot of expectation. Hope he backs it up - be great if this is his base load. I was surprised by him tbh. Having only seen him only in a game early last season on VFL TV. He stunk.

He's quick though, especially coming off a meniscus tear as an 18 year old - looking forward to seeing the game again.

1 game, a lot of expectation. Hope he backs it up - be great if this is his base load. I was surprised by him tbh. Having only seen him only in a game early last season on VFL TV. He stunk.

He's quick though, especially coming off a meniscus tear as an 18 year old - looking forward to seeing the game again.
I remember seeing a lot in him in just the few touches he had in his first game in the preseason of 2015. Same again at the start of last year when we played Geelong in a VFL practise match at PRO. In the first quarter he grabbed the ball from the centre weaved through a couple of Geelong witches hats and slotted one from 50m. You could just see he had something special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back