Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
HARRYTAYLOR.jpg

Harry Taylor
Height194cmWeight:90kg Birthday:12 June 1986
Position
Forward, Back
Trophies /AwardsGNFL Rising Star 2004 Drafted Pick 17
finished third in East Fremantle’s best & fairest and is a versatile player that can play at either end of the ground.

Re: Harry Taylor

Player Info

Versatile player who has appeared in a variety of positions at senior level with East Fremantle in the WAFL competition. High-possession winner who has a great work ethic. Excellent speed (2.91sec for 20m) and endurance (14.2 Beep Test).

Who will be Crazy about Harry?
getfileaspxoi4.jpg

East Fremantle defender Harry Taylor heads a group of WAFL players who face a nervous wait as clubs ponder their draft prospects tomorrow.

Unlike many of their West Australian compatriots, Taylor, Swan Districts’ Luke Miles and Perth’s Cruize Garlett are facing tougher roads to the AFL.

Taylor is 21, has played 48 WAFL matches and finished third in the club’s best and fairest this season behind Theo Adams and Brownlow medallist Shane Woewodin.

At 193cm, Taylor is tall enough to play as a key defender but blitzed speed and endurance tests at last month’s State draft screenings to show he can play in the midfield if required.

Woewodin, who has gone from Sharks captain to coach after retiring at the end of the season, says the big man is among the most professional players he has seen. The former Melbourne and Collingwood star said Taylor could slot straight into the AFL as a dashing defender and deserved a chance at the elite level.

“I’ve had 10 years at AFL level and seen a few players go through who are outstanding with their professionalism, work ethic and willingness to look after their bodies and prepare,” Woewodin said. “Harry Taylor is in the upper echelon of those players. He’s extraordinary.

“I think clubs looked at him last year and thought another year of senior footy here would be good for his development. That was a great decision because he’s gone to another level.”

Miles won Swan Districts’ best and fairest this year and smashed speed records at the draft screenings to send recruiting staff scrambling for their notebooks.

Garlett’s talent is clear and he performed strongly at the under-18 national titles. But at just 172cm, he must convince clubs that his height isn’t a problem. Most clubs have steered clear of players under 180cm in recent years because they can play only a limited number of positions.

With Taylor and Miles in contention as mature-age recruits and 17-year-old Claremont midfielder Matt De Boer deciding to wait 12 months before nominating for the draft, West Coast recruiting manager Trevor Woodhouse said clubs would be silly to ignore players because they were no longer teenagers.

“Harry Taylor is 21,” Woodhouse said. “He’s finishing his physiotherapy course and he’s played in a number of positions for East Fremantle. There’s a strong belief that he could play at the top level next year.

“He came down from Geraldton at 18 or 19 and was a skinny fella. If he got drafted then, he might be on the scrapheap. It just shows that different players take time to develop.”

And Sydney coach Paul Roos joined the chorus of people calling for the minimum draft age to be lifted. The Swans have had only one pick in the top 30 in the past three years because they have traded away selections to get players from other clubs.

Sydney have two opportunities to get quality players this year but Roos said too many young players were drafted on potential rather than what they had actually achieved.

“It’s too much of a lottery,” the 2005 premiership coach said yesterday. “But that’s what you’re faced with and that’s the system you’ve got to work with. There’s just too much crystal-balling.

“We’ve done our own analysis on it but if you look at the players and their average games . . . it’s ridiculous.

“You’re going to have an early pick and you’re not guaranteed a bloke’s going to play more than 30 games. It’s just crazy. That could be addressed if it was older because you are speculating with a lot of them.

“Will he improve his running, will he get taller for the bigger guys? A lot of what the recruiters have to do is picture them in two years’ time.”

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=48074

You won't find a kid more dedicated to playing AFL. You can be very confident he'll get the best out of himself.

You won't find a kid more dedicated to playing AFL. You can be very confident he'll get the best out of himself.

I've found myself very excited by this fella. Have heard rave reviews not just about his work ethic but his playing ability.

There is something about him that makes me think wells has pulled one out of the bag.

Reckon Harry's number will look good on my back in 08 ;)

I've found myself very excited by this fella. Have heard rave reviews not just about his work ethic but his playing ability.

There is something about him that makes me think wells has pulled one out of the bag.

Reckon Harry's number will look good on my back in 08 ;)

Thats the one thing I've heard nothing about - his playing ability. I know his speed and endurance testing were great, he's a good size, he is as professional and committed as they come, and he's a great bloke with bucketloads of character. But can he play??

Thats the one thing I've heard nothing about - his playing ability. I know his speed and endurance testing were great, he's a good size, he is as professional and committed as they come, and he's a great bloke with bucketloads of character. But can he play??

Well i've dug out some stuff and have managed to put together Harry's stats sheet for the 2007 season. Uploadable here:

http://files-upload.com/files/640492/Harry Taylor.xlsx

Seems like he loves to kick the ball. Can take a mark and doesn't mind the odd goal.

Ill also add that he was only beaten twice by Masten and Palmer in terms of possesions

Harry Taylor Justifies Pre Draft Hype

harry-taylor.jpg

IN the days leading up to the draft, Harry Taylor fielded a phone call from his mum Dianne in Geraldton wondering what all this hype in the media about him being drafted was all about.

"I just told her `it's all talk mum, don't worry about it','' he laughed after being taken with the Cats first-round pick on Saturday.

"I didn't tell them too much about it (the draft). Mum didn't have any idea, but she kept reading the odd thing in paper.''

A mature age recruit, the 21-year-old from East Fremantle heads to Skilled Stadium after playing the past three seasons in the WAFL.

As a running half-back in the mould of Darren Milburn, Taylor says with plenty of senior footy behind him he comes ready made for the Cats coaching staff.

"I was a late maturer. (When I came to Perth) I wasn't big enough or well developed enough to have an impact in the WAFL,'' he said.

"So I worked away at my body size and educated myself about the game and I've really developed at that.

"Since I was young I always wanted to be drafted but I didn't have the realisation I could make it until the last couple of years.''

Taylor, a deputy vice captain with East Fremantle this season, said his club had adopted the same open and confrontational leadership style Geelong employed this year.

"The boys take control of the leadership and you all get up in front of the group and the guys have their say about you,'' he said.

"The guys were saying to me that I was a really big chance of making an impact at this level (WAFL) and that I could even go to the next one.

"That really enhanced my self belief and that's when I really realised I could have a go (at the AFL).''

Taylor, who also fielded interest from Melbourne, Fremantle and Brisbane, said he wasn't looking at the difficulty of breaking into the senior team as a negative, but a great challenge that would make getting in all the more meaningful.

"It should be fine, although I haven't been to Geelong before. I don't even know where it is on the map,'' he said.

Re: No. 7 Harry Taylor

taylor-140x200.jpg

About

The Cats’ first pick in last year’s NAB AFL Draft, Taylor joins the 2007 premiers virtually as a ready made player. At 21, he was slightly older than most of the early picks in the draft and boasts senior experience in the WAFL with East Fremantle. Can play in a variety of positions but is likely to be developed as a tall defender. A high possession winner and has excellent speed and endurance.

Records

Playing history
WAFL
East Fremantle: 48 games

Draft history

Selected by Geelong with the 17th pick in 2007 national draft

Awards Honours

East Fremantle
Third best and fairest 2007

http://gfc.com.au/TheClub/Players/PlayerProfile/tabid/8137/playerId/18314/teamId/30/typeId/2/Default.aspx

Taylor handy pick-up
16 December 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
David Reed

GEELONG'S top draft pick, Harry Taylor, is nothing if not versatile.

On field, the 21-year-old is the prototype modern player - 194cm, with running power. He can play most positions from key defender to running midfielder.

Off the ground he is adept in many areas as well. The third-year physiotherapy student can fix your aches then build you a wall with his bricklaying skills.

Then he'll kick your behind in a game of golf off a handicap of seven, the same number as his new guernsey at the Cattery.

Taylor's lanky yet robust frame has already seen him likened to premiership stalwart Darren Milburn, although he spent plenty of time in the midfield for East Fremantle last season.

It comes as no surprise to folk in Western Australia, who are used to watching their sons leave home to make their mark on the AFL stage.

"I played for Northampton footy club when I was really young, a town north of Geraldton -- Paul Hasleby, Josh Kennedy, Daniel Chick are three of the best-known names from the area that play AFL," Taylor said.

"And when I moved down to Geraldton for school later on, I played for Rovers Football Club, the same club as (Eagles champion) Chris Mainwaring."

Taylor played colts, reserves and a few senior games as a 17-year-old for the country club and believes that experience and a solid stint at East Fremantle in the WAFL will give him a leg up as he strives to make it in the AFL.

"I played 48 league games for East Fremantle and that has helped me massively," Taylor said.

"I got to play on quite a few AFL players, whether they were past players or guys coming back from injury, and it has given me a grounding to go to that next level.

"And just being that bit older also helps fit in with the guys (at Geelong) a bit easier."

Taylor's journey to the AFL came more by happenstance than the classic pathway.

He moved to Perth several years ago more for a physiotherapy degree than for any dream of playing AFL.

"I wanted to have a crack at footy as well, but I didn't know how good I was or how I would go in Perth, it was more of an exploration to see how I fitted in," he said.

"David Dunbar was the coach and he pretty much said: 'We'll give you a go and see what you've got, if we like you we'll keep you'.

"I was a bit of a late maturer and only over the past couple of years have I started to develop physically and mentally enough to have the self confidence that I can make it at AFL level."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i am a mad cat supporter but i do not find taylor any good.
he makes way to many mistakes.
he played amazing against the saints in the finals but apart from that i have not seen his importance to the team.
CATS 08

i am a mad cat supporter but i do not find taylor any good.
he makes way to many mistakes.
he played amazing against the saints in the finals but apart from that i have not seen his importance to the team.
CATS 08

hahahahahahhahahahahahah :thumbsdown:

Well i've dug out some stuff and have managed to put together Harry's stats sheet for the 2007 season. Uploadable here:

http://files-upload.com/files/640492/Harry Taylor.xlsx

Seems like he loves to kick the ball. Can take a mark and doesn't mind the odd goal.

Ill also add that he was only beaten twice by Masten and Palmer in terms of possesions

Geez Rizzo. That short summary seems almost prohetic at the big end of the year.

Taylor made for key post: Harley

EMERGING Geelong defender Harry Taylor is ready to take another giant leap in his blossoming career, according to captain Tom Harley.

Unsure if his own fitness will allow him to play in the NAB Cup competition, Harley said his absence would allow the club to fast-track the progress of Taylor and other youngsters.

Harley noted that Taylor, the promising West Australian who impressed greatly in a 21-game debut season, had further developed over the summer and was ready to take on a more prominent position in the back six.

"You often make massive gains in your second pre-season and Harry’s done that," Harley said.

"He’s put on probably three or four kilos and really looks like a key position player now.

"He’s been training really well with Matty Scarlett. They’ve basically sort of buddied up this summer. [It's] fair enough to expect Harry to take some more steps and become a really top-line key position defender."

The Cats have an ageing defence with Harley and Darren Milburn in the twilight of their careers, while Scarlett will turn 30 later this year.

Matthew Egan’s wretched run with injury has also hurt the club’s key defensive stocks, and Harley intimated that unearthing new talent in coming weeks would be vital to long-term success.

He nominated another second-year player and rookie as prospects who could earn opportunities.

"I guess any sort of time when there are injuries or opportunities for people to step up, it gives them exactly that, the chance to impress," he said.

"With myself not being there through the start of the NAB Cup, it might give a Dan McKenna or a Jeremy Laidler or someone like that a go."

From www.geelongcats.com.au

Taylor-made for the job

Bradley Green
February 13th, 2009

GEELONG defender Harry Taylor is relishing the chance to assume more responsibility in defence this season.
The Cats' 2007 No. 1 draft pick was given a baptism of fire in his debut season last year, playing on some of the AFL's key forwards.
But he showed plenty of encouraging signs from his 21 games to suggest he could be more than an adequate replacement for injured pair Matthew Egan and skipper Tom Harley at centre half-back.
Taylor has bulked up over the summer - adding six kilograms to his frame - and said he was eager to get out and build on what he achieved last year.
"I've worked pretty hard in the gym to get a lot bigger and that was probably one of the deficiencies in my game that I needed to work on - to get a lot stronger in the one-on-one contests, so I won't get pushed around," Taylor said.
"Trying to replace Matty Egan is not going to be the easiest job because he's a fantastic player, an All-Australian player, so I guess its more the whole back six, and even some of the other guys that rotate through there, sharing the load a bit more.
"I know that from a personal point of view I'll be trying to do as much as I can to help the team out week in, week out, whether that's playing on a key-position player or a small player.
"Whatever job I get, I think I've got better skills this year and am better equipped to handle whatever that job is."
Hawthorn's Jarryd Roughead, ex-Port Adelaide captain Warren Tredrea, Fremantle forward Chris Tarrant and St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt - in the qualifying final - were among some the 22-year-old's big-name scalps last year.
He rarely lowered his colours, with only Collingwood's Travis Cloke in round nine and then, in consecutive weeks, Sydney's Barry Hall and North Melbourne's David Hale getting the better of him late in the year.
Taylor said the lessons he learned from those games would only be beneficial for him going forward in his career.
"The great thing about this club is that they give everyone a real go and that was something that I really benefited from, being able to play on those great players," Taylor said.
"I guess when you're new to the game, sometimes it can be better to go out and play on the good players because, that way, you learn where to run to the ball and it also keeps you pretty focused.
"There's probably a tendancy if you are playing on someone not so high-profile, to go away from doing the team things and maybe help yourself a bit more.
"By playing on good players, you have to stick to the structures and learn to focus for the whole two hours of the game.
"Last year I had no experience of anyone in the AFL at all. So, to now have played, whether it be for five minutes or the whole game, on a certain individual, I'll be able to relate back to that time and use that little bit of experience to help me perform a little bit better in the games."
Taylor knows after what he achieved in 2008, the expectations will be greater on him this year.
But he is ready for the challenge.
"I probably exceeded a lot of my personal expectations, but I'm sure the club would have had some high expectations of me," Taylor said.
"I set myself some goals early in the year and managed to achieve most of them, so I was pretty happy with that effort.
'This year it's just a matter of continuing to try and be more consistent, getting the gap between my best and worst performances to be pretty minimal.
"Most of the backline guys are very experienced and the difference between their best and worst performances is so small. They always play at that consistent level and that's what I want to get to in my own game, to ensure that I keep contributing to the team every week and make sure that my name is in the squad."

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/02/13/50881_gfc.html

Hefty Harry craves contact

By Steve Lavell 5:37 PM Fri 20 February, 2009

EARLY this month Geelong captain Tom Harley said Harry Taylor was ready to take the next step as a key defender.
Late last year Taylor had the same idea, preparing a pre-season wish-list to help him gain the attributes of a centre half-back.
Playing 21 games in his debut season, the West Australian has added seven kilos to his frame since the Cats' grand final loss to Hawthorn.
"I sat down at the end of the year and thought, with centre half-back as a job description, what would I need to play that role?" he said from Telstra Dome on Friday.
"I came up with a bit of a list of things and over this pre-season and I've just tried to work as hard as I can to become better in those areas.
"Fortunately, size was one of those areas that I've managed to gain in. Now it's a matter of using it on the ground."
Twenty-two-year-old Taylor will put that to the test in Saturday night's NAB Cup clash against Adelaide and is pleased the summer workload as now made the transition to games.
The Cats will trial a number of youngsters in the absence of Harley, Darren Milburn, Steve Johnson and Cameron Mooney, with midfielder Simon Hogan and defender Dan McKenna among those named in Thursday's squad.
"I think there's going to be a few new faces to look at which will be great for our supporters to see those young guys coming up and playing some games," Taylor said.
"Pre-season seems to always go for a fairly long time and we had an intra-club (match) last week which was pretty exciting. To actually start proper where you can use some physical presence on the ground is going to be great this week.
"We've still got a couple of players out with a few little niggling injuries and things. Personally, I'm ready to go and I know a lot of the other guys in my age bracket are really keen to go out there and play some competitive football."
Almost five months on, Taylor said the grand final had become a "learning tool" for his teammates, much like 2007's triumph.
Adding that the coaches and players share a mutual faith in their prospects, Taylor hasn't thought much about the Cats entering the new season as favourites.
"We're obviously pretty confident in ourselves and how we went about last year," he said. "I know we don't have too many personnel changes this year so we should be just as confident again.
"If we're playing our best football and doing all the little team things right, hopefully the score will take care of itself on the weekends."

http://geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/72374/default.aspx

Cats' Taylor ready to fly

By Mic Cullen 6:58 PM Wed 11 March, 2009
IT DOESN’T matter that it is a grand final.

It wouldn’t matter if it was a NAB Challenge game.

Or even if it was a social game of bowls.

If you’re out on the park, you want to win.

That’s the message from Geelong defender Harry Taylor, as the Cats prepare for Friday night’s 2009 NAB Cup Grand Final against Collingwood.

Both teams have played with intent in the pre-season competition, so it’s no surprise that they’re facing off in the final game. And with Collingwood the only side to beat the Cats last year until the Hawks rolled them in the big one, Geelong will have a point to prove.

“(Coach) Mark Thompson made a really good point in his press conference after the game (against Carlton) – when you go out to play a game, whether it be tennis or whether it be football, you want to win,” he said.

“And I know a lot of that drive is within a lot of the Geelong players.

“It’s a grand final appearance, and we’re going to be really excited about that, and we’re looking forward to going out and playing some really good football and making sure we can play well on the big stage.”

Taylor is something of a military buff, and on Wednesday trekked to Avalon to check out some of the awesome military hardware assembled for this weekend’s airshow.

But at Docklands on Friday night he will be looking to make life difficult for smaller flying creatures.

“I’m feeling good personally, and the team’s had our main session already this week and everyone’s travelling well, and has pulled up well from the previous game,” he said over the roar of an acrobatics plane practicing just 100m away.

“We’re going to go in with a pretty good side, and we’re just really looking forward to a great challenge, and really getting our season off to a good start.

“We’ve got a couple of players not quite ready yet – I know (captain and fellow defender) Tom Harley isn’t playing.

“But I think most of the boys are pretty fit and healthy and play some good team football – do our structures and things that we’ve been trying to practice, and make sure we really play well.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/73103/default.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

Back