Portfolio 90s Style Shield Logos [Every club]

Remove this Banner Ad

calculon559

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
My take on the Shield logos. Inspiration was early AFL era, but with a common template similar to when the shields first appeared in '77, as opposed to the 'anything goes as long as it looks like a shield' attitude that crept in by the 90s.
Only Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, and North Melbourne are the real 90s shields, the rest are either VFL shields with the now-old AFL logo, AFL shields made to conform to the template, or first logos turned into shields.
Let me know what you think :)
afl shields v2-reorder.jpg

Is there a reason Richmond has the blue outline at the top of their shield, or is that just carry through from the VFL shields?

Is there a reason Richmond has the blue outline at the top of their shield, or is that just carry through from the VFL shields?
Yeah, just a carry through from the VFL shield. Apparently they carried it through to '89 before they changed it this
Richmond-logo-1989.gif

My take on the Shield logos. Inspiration was early AFL era, but with a common template similar to when the shields first appeared in '77, as opposed to the 'anything goes as long as it looks like a shield' attitude that crept in by the 90s.
Only Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, and North Melbourne are the real 90s shields, the rest are either VFL shields with the now-old AFL logo, AFL shields made to conform to the template, or first logos turned into shields.
View attachment 1470708
There are a few inconsistencies with line widths (i.e. Magpies) , border colours (i.e. Suns, Tigers), but I reckon most people would be happy if teams went back to shields as official logos

As a fan I love this original shield. I loved how the background was an even red, white and blue but could also be seen as part of the jumper of the era CF5603F7-1EC3-4E71-8E7D-FECD588B091F.jpeg
It evolved from this old beauty
54CE0EAC-55DA-4A16-8491-B585B9DB3A50.jpeg
But I never really warmed to the very late 80’s early 90’s shield. 7597A72A-AEEC-4857-8B47-1C3625612354.jpeg

As a fan I love this original shield. I loved how the background was an even red, white and blue but could also be seen as part of the jumper of the era View attachment 1473528
It evolved from this old beauty
View attachment 1473529
But I never really warmed to the very late 80’s early 90’s shield. View attachment 1473533
My biggest gripe with this is that they think a bulldog has the ability to open their jaw big enough to look menacing, let alone hold a flag without it sticking into their jowls. Poor little doggie

O

Quick and crude but you get the picture
View attachment 1474608View attachment 1474609
Fun fact - pretty sure all the roundel badges introduced in the late 70's and early 80's were the NSWR(F)L's attempt at creating a "uniform" set of badges but mainly for trademarking purposes. The main holdouts were Souths (who had the oval badge), Easts and Wests (who kept the shield) and Newtown (the NY Jets style oval) off memory.

View attachment 1470708
These are amazing!

Do you have them in EPS format?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nice designs but you're calling things X Football Club when that's not their actual name, i.e. Brisbane are the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club trading as the Brisbane Lions Australian Football Club, they're never been called the "Brisbane Football Club." Sydney Football Club is a soccer team.
Good thing these are just someone's designs and not real logos, ey?

I decided to give myself a test as I've just started re-learning the pen tool in Illustrator.

Goals
  • "Flag" design methodology i.e. could a child draw it?
  • Must be modern and relatively clean
  • Can't just be the existing shields
AFL_Shields.png

For reference, any logo on here I went and recreated or modernised in Illustrator, none of this is raster.

Last edited:
My biggest gripe with this is that they think a bulldog has the ability to open their jaw big enough to look menacing, let alone hold a flag without it sticking into their jowls. Poor little doggie
As someone who has owned multiple bulldogs, if I was picking a dog to be a symbol of a footy team, I wouldn't go for the lazy, soft, patient and athletically ungifted.
Great pets though.

edit to add: they are tough as all F though.

I gave most of the teams a try.

A few things to look at; teams should be labeled as they are in the AFL Fixture because that is what they are named. So it should be Adelaide Crows, Brisbane Lions, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast Suns. Greater Western Sydney Giants, Sydney Swans, West Coast Eagles and Western Bulldogs.

b75USx1.jpg

Last edited:
I gave most of the teams a try.

A few things to look at; teams should be labeled as they are in the AFL Fixture because that is what they are named. So it should be Adelaide Crows, Brisbane Lions, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast Suns. Greater Western Sydney Giants, Sydney Swans, West Coast Eagles and Western Bulldogs.

1WRbusj.jpg
I kind of get what you're saying with naming, but a club like Richmond is just called Richmond (on the fixture listing) and not Richmond Tigers, Tigers or Richmond Football Club. You lose out on design consistency and odd font sizing if you follow that decision. The only one that is a obviously not remotely accurate is the Brisbane one on my list, but even the Giants are actually Western Sydney Football Club trading as GWS, Suns are GCFC, etc.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back