A Knights Tale

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
People on this website will know that I commented on the quality of this player in November.

He could be one of the steals of the draft.

He is a real gun and if his knees hold up he will be one of the new midfield players that will give us real grunt and class in the midfield.

Watch the length on his kicks and the accuracy of his disposal. He can kick a goal from more than 40 metres out.

IMHO he will be the next new player to debut. His form up until now has been better than most of the other new recruits. He has been in the best players for the reserves on a number of occasions. Like other good young players from last year's draft the smaller players seem to be able to play AFL quicker than their taller counterparts.

Players like Knights will make our forwards look so much better.

Another couple of good efforts for the WWT seniors and we should see him make his debut soon.

The Carlton game might be the right time. Lets take him away next week though as an emergency, against St Kilda to get a good feel for the atmosphere of an away clash and to understand the preparation needed to succeed at this level.

A half forward spot and on occasional run on the ball might be his by the end of the year!!!

This week though it must be time for the return of Ladhams. We must see once and for all if he can cut it for Craig!!!!! Give him two or three weeks to get his last chance at this level.

bigman said:
People on this website will know that I commented on the quality of this player in November.

He is a real gun and if his knees hold up he will be one of the new midfield players that will give us real grunt and class in the midfield.

Watch the length on his kicks and the accuracy of his disposal. He can kick a goal from more than 40 metres out.

IMHO he will be the next new player to debut. His form up until now has been better than most of the other new recruits. He has been in the best players for the reserves on a number of occasions. Like other good young players from last year's draft the smaller players seem to be able to play AFL quicker than their taller counterparts.

Another couple of good efforts for the WWT seniors and we should see him make his debut soon.

The Carlton game might be the right time. Lets take him away next week though as an emergency, against St Kilda to get a good feel for the atmosphere of an away clash and to understand the preparation needed to succeed at this level.

A half forward spot and on occasional run on the ball might be his by the end of the year!!!

This week though it must be time for the return of Ladhams. We must see once and for all if he can cut it for Craig!!!!! Give him two or three weeks to get his last chance at this level.

yeh good call. he played with real confidence for a first gamer.

bigman said:

You've sold me.

I watched the WWT game on telly, and was wrapped with Knights.

He came on halfway through the 2nd quarter and in his two and a half quarters on the ground got 21 disposals and best player in a side that was getting well beaten.

He gets his own ball and reads the ball off hands beautifully but he's no midget being about 6'1" in the old language. A left-footer and has a very good footy brain.

As you say, a few more good performances should see him up playing with the big boys.

He certainly looks a steal for a 5th draft pick - shades of Stiffy who was a 5th draft pick in his year. :)

macca23 said:
You've sold me.

I watched the WWT game on telly, and was wrapped with Knights.

He came on halfway through the 2nd quarter and in his two and a half quarters on the ground got 21 disposals and best player in a side that was getting well beaten.

He gets his own ball and reads the ball off hands beautifully but he's no midget being about 6'1" in the old language. A left-footer and has a very good footy brain.

As you say, a few more good performances should see him up playing with the big boys.

He certainly looks a steal for a 5th draft pick - shades of Stiffy who was a 5th draft pick in his year. :)

I think you're easily sold Macca. I've got a friend in Nigeria who needs to deposit some money in your bank account......just give me the details....

I'd like to see more than one game at SANFL level to convince me of his abilities. I hope he is the next midfield contributor, but if he is so great, why has he only just made it to the seniors in the SANFL. I would hope that he was a better player than Cicolella, Stokes, Colville etc., surely if he was so talented he could have at least got a spot on the bench.

Don't want to sound negative, but I've seen many tin messiahs at the AFC in the last few years.

A few posters have likened him to Martin Mattner and me also, CK will be a very good get at pick 54, in fact if he can play a few games latter on in the season and contribute it will be a traffic get that was unexpected and will allow some of the dead wood to be trimmed at season ends.

Lets not get ahead of ourself and expect Chris Knights to come in and dominate, his performance was good and very serviceable but not out standing and this potential diamond still needs a lot of polish until he will shine. If I was in charge at the AFC (and thank god I not M Doughty) I would sit Chris Knight down and inform him that we are going to monitor his next 10 games in the SANFL even before he is considered to debut in the AFL.

He needs to have consistent form in the SANFL league side and not just one (1) very good performance, which could have helped considering it was his SANFL debut (lots of players perform extremely well in the first game) it’s the second and third games that will inform the ‘powers that be’ of his progression.

afc9798 said:
I think you're easily sold Macca. I've got a friend in Nigeria who needs to deposit some money in your bank account......just give me the details....

I'd like to see more than one game at SANFL level to convince me of his abilities. I hope he is the next midfield contributor, but if he is so great, why has he only just made it to the seniors in the SANFL. I would hope that he was a better player than Cicolella, Stokes, Colville etc., surely if he was so talented he could have at least got a spot on the bench.

Don't want to sound negative, but I've seen many tin messiahs at the AFC in the last few years.

By that same reasoning, are we to assume Bryce Gibbs is not the real deal yet? Or should we wait a little longer until Bryce strings some more good games together before we decide ?

The fact is, we judged Gibbs on the poise and class he shows when he finds the footy, much the same way in which Macca has judged Knights.

I also assume, Knights probably would have been playing seniors much earlier if it weren't for his restricted pre season because of injury.

Reality is, and I am sure you'd agree, Knights will not get selected until he strings a number of good games together because the AFC have a reasonably strong midfield.

Like most things, time will tell.

GoSarge said:
By that same reasoning, are we to assume Bryce Gibbs is not the real deal yet? Or should we wait a little longer until Bryce strings some more good games together before we decide ?

The fact is, we judged Gibbs on the poise and class he shows when he finds the footy, much the same way in which Macca has judged Knights.

I also assume, Knights probably would have been playing seniors much earlier if it weren't for his restricted pre season because of injury.

Reality is, and I am sure you'd agree, Knights will not get selected until he strings a number of good games together because the AFC have a reasonably strong midfield.

Like most things, time will tell.
Hope you're right.
In relation to Gibbs, he is showing regularly and at a younger age than Knights, that he is a class above the others his age. This was not the case with Knights as he was considered a smokey. Two entirely diffferent decisions required and I sincerely hope that Gibbs continues the way he has been. I have actually seen the kid play live and he has all the poise and class in the world, just needs a little more mongrel.

With Knights, I hope he is as good as people are saying, I'm just cautious with these young guys who get talked up so quickly. That said, if he's half the bargain we got by picking Stiffy at 67, then I'll be very happy and dance down the street singing "James Fantasia is a God" at the top of my voice.

bigman said:

Just wondering why you had so much confidence in him last year? Had you seen him play?

afc9798 said:
Hope you're right.
In relation to Gibbs, he is showing regularly and at a younger age than Knights, that he is a class above the others his age.

Which is no guarantee of how what he will be like, good or bad, when he turns 18.

afc9798 said:
I'm just cautious with these young guys who get talked up so quickly.

Like Gibbs ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

afc9798 said:
Hope you're right.
In relation to Gibbs, he is showing regularly and at a younger age than Knights, that he is a class above the others his age. This was not the case with Knights as he was considered a smokey. Two entirely diffferent decisions required and I sincerely hope that Gibbs continues the way he has been. I have actually seen the kid play live and he has all the poise and class in the world, just needs a little more mongrel.

With Knights, I hope he is as good as people are saying, I'm just cautious with these young guys who get talked up so quickly. That said, if he's half the bargain we got by picking Stiffy at 67, then I'll be very happy and dance down the street singing "James Fantasia is a God" at the top of my voice.
I don't think there were ever doubts on Knights' ability prior to him being drafted. His knee troubles last year were why he was still available later in the draft.

afc9798 said:

Well I think you're wrong. You can stick your Nigerian money for a start. :D

While I don't think I'm easily sold, I've seen a lot of young footballers over the years and I like to make a prediction before they've really made it, rather than just flock onto the band-wagon once they've made the grade. Even your Nigerian mates can do that.

My comments were made on how he played in that game on what my eyes saw. I liked what I saw, and as I said, a few performances on the trot like that would see him in the Crows side.

Did you watch that game and see Knights play? Or are you making your comments in complete ignorance?

afc9798 said:
Hope you're right.

i guess Knights can be considered a smokey in the sense that we only drafted him at pick number 56, but i believe that at the beginning of 2004 he was touted as a possible top 10 draft pick but then plummetted during the year due to his knee problems. I think his ability was well known but the AFC took the punt where other clubs wouldnt.

johnnypanther said:
i guess Knights can be considered a smokey in the sense that we only drafted him at pick number 56, but i believe that at the beginning of 2004 he was touted as a possible top 10 draft pick but then plummetted during the year due to his knee problems. I think his ability was well known but the AFC took the punt where other clubs wouldnt.

All clubs knew about Judd's shoulder problems, but still went top 10 and was a considerable risk. If he was that greater standout he still would have been taken early in 2004.

afc9798 said:
All clubs knew about Judd's shoulder problems, but still went top 10 and was a considerable risk. If he was that greater standout he still would have been taken early in 2004.

What's with your negativity about Knights afc9798?

I seem to remember after the draft plenty of people saying that if his knee problems can be overcome, that we got an absolute steal. Nobody's saying he's in Judd's league, but it doesn't mean he's not going to be a very good player.

afc9798 said:
Hope you're right.

I have seen him play a couple of times and I have been suprised by criticisms that he is a little timid. For a 16 year old, playing against mostly men, I have been impressed with the way he has gone it to get the ball. Definately doesn't stand back and spectate.

Truck Rutten said:
What's with your negativity about Knights afc9798?

I seem to remember after the draft plenty of people saying that if his knee problems can be overcome, that we got an absolute steal. Nobody's saying he's in Judd's league, but it doesn't mean he's not going to be a very good player.

It's not negativity, it's tempered caution. Since time began, we have seen numerous rookies and draftees get pumped up before they have earnt a senior game. I'm merely pointing out that he has played one SANFL league game, has a history of injuries and has a lot to prove. I hope as strongly as anyone else that he is as good as he is said to be, but experience tells me that caution is needed. Common sense also tells me that very rarely do clubs get that lucky with late picks. Hence the Judd comparison. This says to me that either his knees are worse than thought, or that he wasn't valued highly enough to be taken higher in the draft.

I'll be happy to see him come out and tear games apart, I just don't like to see people talking up players before they've done anything.

SpringChoke said:
I have seen him play a couple of times and I have been suprised by criticisms that he is a little timid. For a 16 year old, playing against mostly men, I have been impressed with the way he has gone it to get the ball. Definately doesn't stand back and spectate.

I didn't use the word timid, I used the word mongrel. He is definitely not timid and he throws himself in, but what I'm talking about is using a little more viciousness in tackling, spoiling and general play. When a Johncock, Ricciuto, Mattner, Thommo etc. tackles you, you know you've been tackled. I would like to see him using this now, as it's a trait that we need more of in the future. Controlled aggression will really unsettle a number of sides and results in hesitation before they go for the hard ball.

afc9798 said:
It's not negativity, it's tempered caution. Since time began, we have seen numerous rookies and draftees get pumped up before they have earnt a senior game. I'm merely pointing out that he has played one SANFL league game, has a history of injuries and has a lot to prove. I hope as strongly as anyone else that he is as good as he is said to be, but experience tells me that caution is needed. Common sense also tells me that very rarely do clubs get that lucky with late picks. Hence the Judd comparison. This says to me that either his knees are worse than thought, or that he wasn't valued highly enough to be taken higher in the draft.

I'll be happy to see him come out and tear games apart, I just don't like to see people talking up players before they've done anything.

Fair enough mate, nothing wrong with a bit of cautious optimism. We have had our hopes pumped up with expectations of quite a few recruits over the years. I remember that Brent Williams was supposed to be the next Wayne Carey :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back