a question to all North supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure. I like it too. My only gripes are that it's further away than the other grounds and I always have to sit on Level 4. But that's my fault for living in the outer east and only paying for a captain's club membership!

Who has a problem with Colonial? I quite like it, and prefer it to both Waverley & Optus Oval. I also love sitting on Level 4 with my family, only wish the club could sell some reserve seats up there.

I like Colonial as well.....as Aussie Roo has posted, it's better than Princess Park or Arctic Park.....for me, it's easy to get to, I always bump into fellow bigfooty roos, and as long as you're not at the back of level 4, you get a good view no matter where you sit. The MCG is still my favourite ground, but for games against the interstate sides where we will get smaller crowds, Colonial is a better venue. But against the other Victorian teams, my preference is to play them at the MCG.

if u r talkin bout roos playin there then i like it because its never really a packed house when roos play there so we can get seats where we want but it is frikken colder and windier than Waverley brrrrrrrrh playin Freo there this year tho was just a dead atmosphere and a bloody embarrassment!

I've said it many times, Coloniel is a great place to watch footy. Do not buy a reserved seat, it is a waste of money, you might as well give it to the club via an upgrade to a Pagans.

I just turn up on the night and either stand on the terrace and watch the whole game or grab a spare seat down on level 1 when the very lax security dissappears.

Despite being 12kms from the city I can be at Coloniel in 19 minutes (record is 17) and can park at the Docklands for about $5.

Food is expensive but at least you can get something decent if you want and I also like the bar, forget its name, but they usually have a highlights video on the big screen and you can have a beer before the game.

I wish they would leave the roof open during the days when it is sunny, but when it is pis sin rain it is pretty good. One thing you can do is walk all the way around the ground so you can be behind the goals to the end North are kicking which you can't at the G.

Overall I would give it 8/10 with 2 marks being deducted for not being able to sit on level 2.

I've been to Colonial once and was very impressed.If I lived in Melb I would either pay for a reserved seat or upgrade to Pagans Patron.

Being so close to public transport just makes the location fantastic.

I also think David King has played some of his best games at Colonial. ie (V Collingwood Ansett Cup/ Family day last year) , but also in games I've watched on TV. He seems to have the ball on a string at Colonial.

I also think Colonial is a great place to watch footy.
As Monty Burns would say:
It's "Excellent"

The only time I get annoyed there, is when the sun is shining and the roof is closed. On the other hand , when it's pi-ssing down it's nice to be dry under the roof.

I always hated Artic Park : it was a long drive (for me) , and then you had to deal with the "quagmire" car park. Not to mention getting soaked if it happened to be raining (and it usually was).
I could never understand what all the fuss was about when they closed it down.

I don't mind Colonial.

The good thing about playing there is that we can use the technical facilities there to help promote the club. I saw Ess vs. Hawks there last year and was very impressed by the way the Bombers marketing used the stadium to promote memberships and get fans involved in the club.

true_roo the fuss about Waverley was that it deprives the people of easily accessable footy over here in the south eastern suburbs. If there was that much problem with it why spend millions on a new one in the city when the MCG is already there if the one out here could be worked on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i agree with spidey, to an extent, waverley was good for those out east. shame they never sorted public transport out to it however.

colonial is ok but i have seen some terrible games there. i recall a game when there was so much sand on the ground, it looked as if the ground was soaking wet ala kardinia park in round 5 2001. when byron cannot hold his footing runnning in a straight line, surely the ground isn't fit for playing a game on. whichever game that was, the ground was terrible.

Originally posted by Byron'sShoulder
i recall a game when there was so much sand on the ground, it looked as if the ground was soaking wet ala kardinia park in round 5 2001. when byron cannot hold his footing runnning in a straight line, surely the ground isn't fit for playing a game on. whichever game that was, the ground was terrible.

That game might have been the one against the Brisbane Lions back in 2000. One large section of the wing was just sand and players from both sides were quite reluctant to chase the ball whenever it went into that area. It was a shocking situation....I'm not sure what brought the greater relief....the Roos win by less than a goal (after leading by 40 points) or the fact that none of our players got a serious injury on that wasteland on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back