Accuracy

Remove this Banner Ad

dingoboy

All Australian
Jul 23, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
very surprising to find out that we are ranked #16 in the comp for accuracy on goal..
no doubt thanks to cloke and pebbles miserable strike rate..
what is impressive is that we are somehow in the top 4 remaining clubs even tho we are hacks in front of goal..
how good would we be if we were in the top 8 ranked clubs in the comp....

You make a good point though, even a slight improvement in conversion may have improved our ladder position, doesn't really matter as we are as far as anyone into the finals. They seem to be improving when it matters, and Rocca certainly didn't miss when it counted last week, so at this stage probably hasn't really cost us a lot.

We have kicked ourselves out of a couple games and kicked away a massive amoun of percentage in others. If we had kicked straighter this year we would have likely been top 4.

We had the second worst percentage in the top 10 or 11 by the end of the H&A games.

Ranked 1st in Kicks Per Game ;)
Ranked 5th in Marks Per Game
Ranked 2nd in Tackles Per Game ;)
Ranked 4th in least Opponent Kicks Per Game
Ranked 2nd in least Opponent Marks Per Game ;)
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Kicks Per Game Diff.
Ranked 2nd in Team to Opponent Marks Per Game Diff.
Ranked 2nd in Team to Opponent Tackles Per Game Diff.
Ranked 16th in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 13th in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 12th in Hitouts Per Game
Ranked 13th in least Opponent Hitouts Per Game
Ranked 16th in Team to Opponent Handballs Per Game Diff.
Ranked 13th in Team to Opponent Hitouts Per Game Diff.

Thats what got us to the top 4 champ.

I shudder every time one of our blokes lines up for a set shot on goal. It's cost us badly in a couple of matches (e.g. crucial shots missed against the Doggies and Tigers) and may do so again.

On what I've seen this year, my shot-on-goal rankings:
Cloke, Rocca, Rusling, Reid - very iffy (heart in mouth stuff with all of them).
Thomas - worry about that massive hook of his but good under pressure.
Pendles - can spray them but not too bad from 30m out.
Davis - OK, but sometimes tries for the spectacular on the run when he doesn't have to.
Didak and Medhurst - our best two by a mile.

One of our problems of course is that, because we always bring the ball down the flanks, many of our shots are from difficult angles.

I shudder every time one of our blokes lines up for a set shot on goal. It's cost us badly in a couple of matches (e.g. crucial shots missed against the Doggies and Tigers) and may do so again.

On what I've seen this year, my shot-on-goal rankings:
Cloke, Rocca, Rusling, Reid - very iffy (heart in mouth stuff with all of them).
Thomas - worry about that massive hook of his but good under pressure.
Pendles - can spray them but not too bad from 30m out.
Davis - OK, but sometimes tries for the spectacular on the run when he doesn't have to.
Didak and Medhurst - our best two by a mile.

One of our problems of course is that, because we always bring the ball down the flanks, many of our shots are from difficult angles.
Rocca is a good set shot. He's been dead on lately.

Thomas isn't a worry. He has a big hook on his kick, but he always accommodate for it by placing his kick out to the right.

Pendlebury is a dead eye set shot for goal. Him, Didak, Medhurst and Davis are all first class shots for goal. From set shots at least.

Cloke, Rusling are my two biggest worries.

Reid isn't a bad kick, he is just over awed. Watch him in the VFL and his kicking is fine.

Anyone got Cloke and Roccas stats Goal kicking stats

It would be a different ball game if their percentages were higher especially Cloke because I always count on him kicking 1.4

Rocca is a good set shot. He's been dead on lately.

Thomas isn't a worry. He has a big hook on his kick, but he always accommodate for it by placing his kick out to the right.

Pendlebury is a dead eye set shot for goal. Him, Didak, Medhurst and Davis are all first class shots for goal. From set shots at least.

Cloke, Rusling are my two biggest worries.

Reid isn't a bad kick, he is just over awed. Watch him in the VFL and his kicking is fine.

OK, given that they are all such terrific kicks, why the Hell are we ranked #16? Rocca has always been massively up and down with his kicking and this year is no exception - 54-36 overall but helped by 9-1 in the last two weeks. Other stats:
Cloke 36-38
Rusling 8-7
Medhurst 21-16
Davis 30-20
Didak 23-6
Reid 2-4
Pendles 20-7
Thomas 19-20

You have a point on Pendles but I'd still maintain that he's great from anything up to around 30m out but sprays them from beyond that (trying to get distance). Thomas iffy as I said and Didak clearly miles in front of anyone else. I still like Medhurst - many of his shots have been from really tough angles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, given that they are all such terrific kicks, why the Hell are we ranked #16? Rocca has always been massively up and down with his kicking and this year is no exception - 54-36 overall but helped by 9-1 in the last two weeks. Other stats:
Cloke 36-38
Rusling 8-7
Medhurst 21-16
Davis 30-20
Didak 23-6
Reid 2-4
Pendles 20-7
Thomas 19-20

You have a point on Pendles but I'd still maintain that he's great from anything up to around 30m out but sprays them from beyond that (trying to get distance). Thomas iffy as I said and Didak clearly miles in front of anyone else. I still like Medhurst - many of his shots have been from really tough angles.

I think a lot of Reid's problem has been due to a change of action and nerves. He was a far better kick last year and his kicking in the VFL is far better then it is at AFL. I don't think his kicking in his 3 games are reflective of what it will be like long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back