ACL Knee Reconstruction

Remove this Banner Ad

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hi all, I recently underwent a knee reconstruction 11 days ago. As of right now I am doing all my exercises, stretches, currently walking without crutches. Everything seems to be going well. I've been eating pretty healthy so I've been losing weight.

Would just like some information on the following questions if possible from those who have done/had the same:

• How long did it take you to return to walking exercises?
  • How long until you were jogging?
  • Did you return to play footy again? If yes, how did it go?
I'm 29 and have only been playing footy for 6-7 years and finally playing consistent, good football so I would like to return to play.

And just some general chat around it would be nice! Cheers

Hi all, I recently underwent a knee reconstruction 11 days ago. As of right now I am doing all my exercises, stretches, currently walking without crutches. Everything seems to be going well. I've been eating pretty healthy so I've been losing weight.

Would just like some information on the following questions if possible from those who have done/had the same:

• How long did it take you to return to walking exercises?
  • How long until you were jogging?
  • Did you return to play footy again? If yes, how did it go?
I'm 29 and have only been playing footy for 6-7 years and finally playing consistent, good football so I would like to return to play.

And just some general chat around it would be nice! Cheers
Good luck and I wish you all the best. :thumbsu:

I "did" my knee in the last game of the season in 2015 aged 37 and returned for praccy games the following season but when I say "did" my knee I was never gonna get surgery and therefore never got it checked out to what I actually did but the mechanism of the injury and the ensuring pain location/s suggested I damaged the ACL/MCL to a decent degree

Here's my basic timeline of my home rehab:

Aug 15th 2015 - Injury but as soon as I was able I was back doing whatever gym work I could do and continued this
Oct 2015 - gym continued but started some basic basketball shooting on my own
Nov 2015 - started easy to moderate uphill running then moving to some sled resisted sprinting
Dec 2015 - started short acceleration sprinting and by the end of the month had moved to some longer acceleration and max velocity sprinting
Jan 2016 - started high impact plyo's and late Jan into Feb I started energy systems training for footy 2016
March 16th 2016 - first practice match...played every game that year

I didn't have the surgery that will lengthen your recovery time but return to play can definitely be done if your diligent on your rehab and conditioning from here out...I'm still playing senior football at almost 44yrs of game 7yrs later but I did have "gaps" in my rehab by doing it on my own that have left me with some low to moderate deficits in range of motion, strength etc but nothing that hampers my performance really

Speed is as good as ever but my jump has suffered quite a bit from it was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back