Adam Cooney

Remove this Banner Ad

At his best he was one of the best the game has seen

not even close.
Dangerfield is the closest player to him at his peak of his powers and even Dangerfield's 2012 has surpassed Cooney's 2008 season.
Was brilliant but he averaged 25 disposals and kicked 23 goals that year and although stats are misleading at times, Dangerfield this year amassed like 26 disposals and kicked just as many goals while influencing matches by also contributing goal assists and and racking up the 1% pressure acts.

Is Dangerfield's football the best we have ever seen?
Ablett, Judd have had vastly superior seasons imo but always good to exchange opinions on subjects like these.

Personally, I agree that Ablett was the player of that year, however Cooney is deserving of a brownlow medal. At his best he was one of the best the game has seen. If his injury hadn't cruelled his career we would no doubt have seen him up on the podium again in my belief so I think it's fair. Everything works out.

Cooney was also a couple of years younger than Ablett when he won his Brownlow, he hadn't even peaked yet.

not even close.
Dangerfield is the closest player to him at his peak of his powers and even Dangerfield's 2012 has surpassed Cooney's 2008 season.
Was brilliant but he averaged 25 disposals and kicked 23 goals that year and although stats are misleading at times, Dangerfield this year amassed like 26 disposals and kicked just as many goals while influencing matches by also contributing goal assists and and racking up the 1% pressure acts.

Ablett, Judd have had vastly superior seasons imo but always good to exchange opinions on subjects like these.
One of, the things Cooney could do outstrip anything Dangerfield can. It's about having that X-factor. It's about being able to turn the game on it's head in one moment. It's about seeing something and being inspired. When I come away from an Adelaide game and feel that, then we'll have this discussion. I just don't think Dangerfield has the ability to be consistently thought of as one of the best players of the round. I understand you balking at the suggestion he's one of the best the games seen. I might be being a bit generous, and by no means am I saying he's in the top 10 of all time or anything, I just think he gave the game something that it didn't have.

One of, the things Cooney could do outstrip anything Dangerfield can. It's about having that X-factor. It's about being able to turn the game on it's head in one moment. It's about seeing something and being inspired. When I come away from an Adelaide game and feel that, then we'll have this discussion. Dangerfield is so far off being brownlow material

fair enough, your opinion as I have mine :thumbsu:

not even close.

Not even close, imo. It seems like people forget how good his 2008 was.
I don't agree that his best was one of the best we've ever seen (not by a fair way), but his year was a lot better than Dangerfield this year. In this case, stats are very misleading.
Cooney at his best is one of the most effective stoppage players i've seen. His movement in close was ridiculous.

Cooney at his best is one of the most effective stoppage players i've seen. His movement in close was ridiculous.

unfortunately, some of us Geelong supporters have had blinkers on for a little too long, can't blame me though as Ablett, Bartel, Corey have been seriously exceptional so when I compare, I always have Yablett at the very top having watched him closely but yeh, twinkle toes Cooney had a remarkable ability to almost literally fast forward and escape an opponents clutches.

Gotta admit, I do feel sorry for the bloke as he's never been the same since the injury and is often the case....it kinda robs the game as footy lovers miss out in the long run.
(I don't mind seeing a Hawthorn player sidelined for good though)

unfortunately, some of us Geelong supporters have had blinkers on for a little too long, can't blame me though as Ablett, Bartel, Corey have been seriously exceptional so when I compare, I always have Yablett at the very top having watched him closely but yeh, twinkle toes Cooney had a remarkable ability to almost literally fast forward and escape an opponents clutches.

Gotta admit, I do feel sorry for the bloke as he's never been the same since the injury and is often the case....it kinda robs the game as footy lovers miss out in the long run.
(I don't mind seeing a Hawthorn player sidelined for good though)
A brilliant period we have been through. Some just exceptional players. Funny you mention Hawthorn. Everyone says Mitchell is a star of the game, but I wouldn't put him in the same class as those guys. I know he's good, just isn't really a special player if you catch my drift. Just my thoughts. Far out, Geelong sure did have a lot of players who could pull something magic out of them. If only we'd had our up period a year or two before you got into your swing hahahaha.

A brilliant period we have been through. Some just exceptional players. Funny you mention Hawthorn. Everyone says Mitchell is a star of the game, but I wouldn't put him in the same class as those guys. I know he's good, just isn't really a special player if you catch my drift. Just my thoughts. Far out, Geelong sure did have a lot of players who could pull something magic out of them. If only we'd had our up period a year or two before you got into your swing hahahaha.

no way, either would I.
Mitchell's got no brilliance about him as he's just an old fashioned work horse although he can pin point a perfect hand pass onto the chest of a bloke running in the opposition direction and 25 metres out.

The thing though with Cooney's injury, the slight domino effect it had on the midfield around him was quite profound which does indeed point to what you said earlier about him being so dominant.
If he had never done the knee, Griffin, Boyd and Cross would have been even better players having someone as brilliant as that lifting their game.
Griffin is still quite exceptional and still only 26 as it seems like he's been around for ages so he's in his prime.
But yeh' Cooney never did his knee, who knows what results may have changed as a consequence.

If he hasn't already been used in the role, it'd be interesting to use him exclusively as the sub. Perhaps his body could handle a midfield role if he only played one quarter per game.

Justin Longmuir had similar knee issues and went down very quickly to be retired at 26. In 2006 he was playing with injections and missing various games to rest it up as we pushed into the Prelim. He was a true Ruck/Forward like Tippet - genuinely capabale as both. Played maybe one game in 2007 and then was gone.

Been sad to see Cooney not get out there like he could in 2008, exciting player to watch and will be missed. A HBF role would suit in what will be his last season - ideal for good users of the ball by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'a amazing how when a player has an injury that curtails him, the legend gets bigger and bigger.

Cooney was a player who had a top-line season. But only one top line season, yet their are Bulldog flogs making the call he was an all time great and even making the call he may have surpassed Ablett:confused:

Haha, biased Footscray supporters always make me laugh.

Dangerfield 2012 >>>>>>>>> Cooney 2008.

He never deserved that Brownlow, Ablett was absolutely robbed.
The only thing laughable here mate is your complete and utter ignorance of the game you support. Dangerfield is a hack with pace compared to a fit Cooney. How many votes did Dangerfield get? Obviously irrational given you support a team who's colours are that of piss and s**t.

yet their are Bulldog flogs making the call he was an all time great and even making the call he may have surpassed Ablett:confused:

Link or are you speaking out of your arse....again?

He never deserved that Brownlow, Ablett was absolutely robbed.

You seem to not understand how a brownlow medal voting works. :confused:

Link or are you speaking out of your arse....again?

Again, when was the first time?

Either way try these on for size flog

At his best he was one of the best the game has seen.
One of the best the game has ever seen, jumping the gun a little bit son't you think?
Cooney was also a couple of years younger than Ablett when he won his Brownlow, he hadn't even peaked yet.
In reference to being compared with Ablett, so he obviously thinks Cooney would have surpassed Ablett, laughable!

The only thing laughable here mate is your complete and utter ignorance of the game you support. Dangerfield is a hack with pace compared to a fit Cooney. How many votes did Dangerfield get? Obviously irrational given you support a team who's colours are that of piss and s**t.

Lol, at using Brownlow votes to try and argue player X is better than player X
FWIW Dangerfield got 23 votes this year and Conney got 24 when he won, so there was only one vote difference. So no difference really, yet you seem to think Dangerfield isn't fit to tie up Cooneys laces.

I am on record in another thread saying Cooney shouldn't have won the 2008 Brownlow (Ablett was IMO the player of the year)? That aside, it is a massive pity injury has plagued Cooney in recent years. He is a likable guy and his best football is as good as it gets.

If he is forced to retire early Cooney will join a list of talented players cut short by injury.
Lance Franklin should have won the 2008 brownlow, he was by far the best player that year.

Lance Franklin should have won the 2008 brownlow, he was by far the best player that year.
By far? By how much? This could be debated ad-finitum. Consider the following, though, reproduced from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ablett,_Jr.):

"Ablett continued to establish his position as one of the premier players of the competition during the 2008 AFL season. He helped the Cats achieve a record-equalling 21-win season and secure the McClelland Trophy for the second successive year. His standout season was recognised early on when he was selected to play for the Victorian state team in the AFL Hall of Fame Tribute Match. However, a groin injury prevented him from participating in the all-star event. Having qualified for the finals series in first position on the ladder, Geelong progressed through to the grand final for a successive year. Despite losing only one game during the home-and-away period, Geelong failed to capture the premiership as they were defeated by Hawthorn in the deciding-game for the season. Ablett's performance in the final, during which he recorded a game-high 34 possessions, five tackles, eight inside 50s, and kicked an equal-team-high two goals, was recognised as he placed second in Norm Smith Medal voting for best afield in the grand final.
Ablett featured in 21 games for the season and was awarded All-Australian honours for the second successive year. Despite entering the 2008 Brownlow Medal count as the favourite once again, Ablett tallied 22 votes to finish third behind Adam Cooney. However, Ablett's performances throughout the year were further recognised when he was awarded the AFLPA Leigh Matthews Trophy and AFL Coaches' Association 'Champion Player of the Year' awards for the second consecutive season."

It'a amazing how when a player has an injury that curtails him, the legend gets bigger and bigger.

Cooney was a player who had a top-line season. But only one top line season, yet their are Bulldog flogs making the call he was an all time great and even making the call he may have surpassed Ablett:confused:
Cooney was near where near as good as some people are attempting to make him out to be. He was a very good player, but that's where it stops.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back